Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 forte vin 3KPFL4A74HE152984

I am trying to determine what type of engine it has and what spark plugs it uses. Is it a GDI engine?

Thanks

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi, I have no way to lookup engines based on its VIN. the LX (147 hp) is port injected, the EX is GDI (164 hp). Spark plugs last 100,000 mi, do you have such a high mileage already? If not, don't bother.
At around half-time, it may be beneficial to check and gap them, but that's all.
My old car, not a Kia, I've changed the spark plugs at around 125,000 km and they were still in good condition. (was slightly early compared to factory recommendation).

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't know what type.

You can go to your nearest kia/Hyundai dealership & ask at the parts counter & buy from them.

Have a ride at the ready & you can remove one of yours.

Go to your local Autozone, O'Reilly's, advanced auto parts, Pepboys & Napa.

If 2010 thru 2013 kia Fortes use iridium NGK & Denso. I'm sure 2014 thru 2021 use iridium spark plugs. Dont fall for those fancy ones. Save yourself any engine problems & stick with NGK & Denso iridium spark plugs.

Same with engine oil filter & transmission filter (if it's an Automatic) stay with OEM/factory.

Hope this helps.

Also post/upload pics. Helps out the Forte community.

Anthony

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know what type.

You can go to your nearest kia/Hyundai dealership & ask at the parts counter & buy from them.

Have a ride at the ready & you can remove one of yours.

Go to your local Autozone, O'Reilly's, advanced auto parts, Pepboys & Napa.

If 2010 thru 2013 kia Fortes use iridium NGK & Denso. I'm sure 2014 thru 2021 use iridium spark plugs. Dont fall for those fancy ones. Save yourself any engine problems & stick with NGK & Denso iridium spark plugs.

Same with engine oil filter & transmission filter (if it's an Automatic) stay with OEM/factory.

Hope this helps.

Also post/upload pics. Helps out the Forte community.

Anthony
Fuel rail says mpi.

Yes I have 70k on it already. Stealership told me the factory plugs have been known to start causing detonation issues around 80k due to wear.

·
Super Moderator
361 Posts
Yeah seems like the 2.0L MPI. Good engine!

Do you have any specific reasons for wanting to change the spark plugs other than what the dealer said? If not, then they're just trying to rob you of your hard-earned dollars. I've changed plugs on cars where the plugs were so worn out I was surprised the car was still running, and other than a bit less performance/lower fuel economy, they were running just fine.

The OEM part # for your spark plugs seems to be 18846-11070 which is NGK SILZKR7B11 and is rated for 105,000 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Performance and fuel economy. It cuts out and stumbles a lot like the plugs are having issues. Fuel economy has dropped about 10 mpg too.

Thanks for the numbers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts