Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, it's been a while, but I've been busy during the pandemic. I'll get to the point. My 17 Forte LX just rolled over 100,000 miles and I'm going to replace the plugs. I pulled #1 this morning because I was planning on putting OEM back in it. It has YURA IRIDIUM and Hyundai/Kia printed on the plug along with the #. NOBODY has these plugs, not even local dealer. I ordered some NGK IRIDIUM plugs off Amazon. Stealership wanted $14.99 each and EVERY auto parts store wants $8.99 each. Amazon is delivering them to my door for $8.00 apiece. Just curious what you guys are running? Great car for 3 years. Zero complaints.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
NGK Iridiums

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, NovaResource. That's what I ordered. I had no idea plugs had gotten so expensive. I was used to putting Champion Copper Core plugs in my PT Cruiser GT with the 2.4 turbo. Of course that was every 30,000 miles at about $10.00 per set, so $32 per set every 105,000 miles is about the same investment, give or take.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Have always bought from local Autozone & or O'Reilly's. 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT.

ALWAYS check & verify the gap.

Don't listen to them when they tell you "you don't need to ever check the gap on iridium plugs"

Yeah, like shipping, handling, dropping, kicking, slamming doesn't ever happen.

My daughter tells them "ok, so when these get installed in the engine & messes up I'm blaming you 100% for engine repairs from dealership"

The dumbfounded look on their faces. 🤣😂🤣😂😂

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
ALWAYS check & verify the gap.
Don't listen to them when they tell you "you don't need to ever check the gap on iridium plugs"
Yeah, like shipping, handling, dropping, kicking, slamming doesn't ever happen.
Excellent advice. Thank you for adding this.
Always, always, always check the gap on every plug.

Reactions: mobileterminaluser

·
Super Moderator
202 Posts
They say to not ADJUST the gap of Iridiums though, as the tip is too fragile and could cause damage. I always (gently) check the gap first and so far it's been good enough.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Having worked for both the Zone and Advance in the past, I can tell you that I NEVER install a set of plugs without checking the gap. Too many plugs will fit too many cars of different brands for any of them to be "pre-gapped" for ONE specific vehicle. If you make that assumption that plugs are an install and go deal, you need to leave the mechanic work to someone else.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm confused as to the spark plugs for my car. I checked all 4 local parts stores for plugs for the car and they ALL recommended the NGK Iridium gapped at .044. Okay, consensus is 100% from Advance to O'Reilly with the Zone and NAPA being the other two. When I removed my OEM plugs and checked the gap, they were ALL four at .035. Now in all my years of working on cars (45) it's been my experience that as plugs age and wear, the gap gets wider. Hmmmm, I wonder what they were gapped on originally? Anyway, it doesn't matter now. I checked my new plugs and all were .044 so I put a little anti-seize compound on them and installed them. It could just be my imagination, but it seems like the car starts faster now. I've been averaging about 37 mpg with the old plugs and just filled up Thursday and will check the mileage at the next fill up and compare. Anyone else run into this type of gap difference when you first changed your plugs? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
We’re the plugs original? Could a previous owner have installed the wrong ones?

I just installed a set in my daughters 2013 Koup SX (2.4L) and both the old ones and the new ones had a .045 gap.

The Koup has 97,000 miles on it. I’m thinking about doing the same plugs in my 2011SX hatchback even though it only has 49,000 miles on it. They are almost 10 years old. On top of this I need to change the plugs in my wife’s 2011 Tucson. It also has a 2.4L as the Forte SX’s and takes the same plugs. It’s at 89,000 now So when it hits 90,000 miles I’ll change them. Lastly I need to do the plugs on my other daughters 2012 Veloster (1.6L). I’m installing NGK Iridiums too but a different part number with a .040 gap. That car is at 140,000 miles.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I bought the car new off the lot, Nova. When I pulled the plugs, they were a brand I've never heard of but they said Hyundai/Kia on them too. It's strange, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. LOL The car runs great and seems to be doing a little better on the mpg, but first fill up after the installation will tell that tale. The engine is obviously in good condition at 100,000 miles as they were all a nice tan color and the gap was consistent across the board. As far as I can tell by looking, they're also iridium plugs. Tiny wire on the electrode. I checked one by pulling the plug wire on my lawn mower and grounding it and cranking the engine. Nice blue/white spark, so I know they're good plugs. I'll keep them just in case I get a misfire from one of the new NGK's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts