·
Registered
2016 Forte 2.0
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 forte 2.0
76,000 miles

Thinking of replacing spark plugs
Is it a simple job, any tricks, which plugs to use or not use, etc?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,796 Posts
Fairly simple - Youtube videos:

2.0 GDI
Spark Plug Change 2016 Kia Forte 5 2.0L GDI DOHC - YouTube

2.0 PFI
Change spark plugs on 2016 Kia Forte - YouTube

My 2 cents on Spark Plugs - Use factory replacements. Kia spent time and Million$ on developement and testing and selected the spark plug best suited for their engines. Aftermarket "performance" plug companies spent their money on advertising...:)

Unless you use a reputable piggyback that recommends a colder plug just stay with factory plugs.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
NGK, Denso or use the same ones that came with your vehicle if there're original & never been changed. A little bit of anti seize & just hand tighten don't over torque if you don't have a torque wrench.

My 2010 koup sx came with NGK iridium
My 2011 JGC WK came with NGK iridium.
My 2007 came with junk & never changed (salvage/rebuilt) Installed NGK iridium.

Always check the gaps on each spark plugs. Don't listen to the cashier when they say you don't have to check gaps. Automotive parts get slammed, dropped, kicked & beaten around.

·
Registered
2016 Forte 2.0
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good advice 🙂
Bought NGK iridium from rockauto @$8+ each
Same plug at AZ @$17 each
Things that make you go Hmmmm.......

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,796 Posts
Good advice 🙂
Bought NGK iridium from rockauto @$8+ each
Same plug at AZ @$17 each
Things that make you go Hmmmm.......
That's nothing...this is what makes me go HMMMMMMMMMMMM:

Wheel Product Tire Font Screenshot

LOL!

·
Registered
2016 Forte 2.0
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installed the new NGK plugs.
Not a difficult job.
Wow the old (original) ones were hard to remove!!!! At 78,000 miles...
The OM allows 105,000 miles or 7 years! By then, the plugs would have been welded to the head 😐

·
Administrator
746 Posts
Wow the old (original) ones were hard to remove!!!! At 78,000 miles...
Removing spark plugs makes me so nervous when they're seized in there... all you need is to snap one off in the block or destroy the threads and then you're gonna have a really bad day. I recently changed mine after 100k KM / 60k miles and 3 out of 4 were pretty seized, and that's WITH using antiseize when installing them originally. I took my time and worked them back and forth until they came out.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
841 Posts
I agree with the back and forth method. Too many idiots try to just keep muscling one out when it gets hard to turn and either break it off or end up twisting the aluminum threads out of the head. Then it's time for the heli-coil!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts