Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else having speedometer accuracy?

Notice when doing 100 K on the highway my GPS shows I am doing 92 K and same the gps on my phone, shows 92 K. Know both of the gps are dead accurate with the speedometer readings my my civic and subie. So when I want to cruise at 120 I would have to actually doing close to 130.

Correct tire size.

·
Registered
202 Posts
New 2011 sedan here and at 95 k on the speedo my gps's (garmin and Blackberry) both read 102k. Stock factory tires.

Next trip to the dealer I will ask about this.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
There's aready a thread on this and yes the speedo is about 5% on the low side.

The only way to fix this would be to upsize by 3% when you do change your tire.

For the SX the next size up that fits would be 225/45R17. I wonder if this was the intended tire size but the extra contact patch and larger size was more expensive for Kia to source and or didn't give them the MPG they wanted in EPA tests.

·
Registered
284 Posts
There's aready a thread on this and yes the speedo is about 5% on the low side.

The only way to fix this would be to upsize by 3% when you do change your tire.

For the SX the next size up that fits would be 225/45R17. I wonder if this was the intended tire size but the extra contact patch and larger size was more expensive for Kia to source and or didn't give them the MPG they wanted in EPA tests.

Would you happen to know what 18's would be?

225/45/r18?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I called the dealer today and was told that in Canada speedo's can be out as much as 10 percent and still be legal. Not sure if I belive this or not. So if i'm 10 percent out and i'm doing 110kph in a 100kph zone I can't get a speeding ticket. Does't make sense to me but I could be wrong.

So they told me that the car is within government standards, kinda sucks

·
Registered
284 Posts
I called the dealer today and was told that in Canada speedo's can be out as much as 10 percent and still be legal. Not sure if I belive this or not. So if i'm 10 percent out and i'm doing 110kph in a 100kph zone I can't get a speeding ticket. Does't make sense to me but I could be wrong.

So they told me that the car is within government standards, kinda sucks

You will most likely not get pulled over for 10 over. 15-20+ is the area where you'll get tagged.

With that said its nice to know your speedo is accurate, i'd just upgrade wheels.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Seriously... I had to put 185/65R15 instead of 185/60R14 to have something equal to the radar they put on the side of the road and my Garmin on my 1999 Elantra. Same thing for my 2003 Elantra... the speed is not the same as the one displayed on the radar.

Never had the chance to test my Forte, but i'm sure it'll be closer than those of my crooked H's. These speed sensor does'nt seem to be really acurate. Once known, u know what to do !

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well what gets me is if Kia knows about the problem, why don't they fix it ? Kinda got me upset when my dealer told me it was within the 10 percent + or - according the the government standards. I still think a brand new car should have the speedo closer than 10 percent. I don't belive the car has a speedo gear as it's all electronic and could be programed to tire size and transaxle gearing.

Very frustrating to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
If the speedometer is out 10% then you will have incorrect odometer readings. Would this not be considered odometer tampering? which is fraud..... I am asking Kia tomorrow to correct my speedometer within 5% by using another size tire at their expense.

Other than the speedometer issue I love my EX Koup and find it far superior than my 07 Civic EX

·
Registered
33 Posts
If the dealership wanted to they could go in and change the tire size in the computer and make it right.

Its called a Scantool. On the Mobis Scantools you can go in and change to 18s or to 15s. Do you really think they would 2 different parts in different cars just because the wheels are 15s and not 17s? Its Kia we buy Kia and Hyundai because they are affordable and are getting better looking everyday not because they are the most reliable car every day. Sometimes you hate them sometimes you love them. My Tib if I do 75mph I only am doing 73mph. I do 80mph I am doing 76mph. 40mph I am doing 39mph. Weird right? Its like your rpms. Redline says 6800. you can take it to 7100. Why because everything in a computer is fast but in a motor its not that fast. The needle always tries to catch up with what actually going on and to do this they made where the needle is actually in front of what the engine is doing. Get a Scantool hooked up where you can see realtime data and you will see what I mean.

Computers have changed everything. Everyone wants everything to be perfect and to be real time but with computers hooked to mechanical devices the computer can process things faster then a device can do them.

Any Questions on what I mean?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
GPS's aren't all that accurate either. Try driving on a hilly road. Your Speedo may read 80km straight and going up and down but watch the GPS go from 80 to 50 to 100 as you traverse. It takes a bit of time for the GPS to catch up.

What I use is those damn boxes that tell you how fast you're going (thank you toronto police), combined with GPS.

The Stock SX wheel combo is slightly smaller than the LX 15" combo the EX is also slightly smaller than the LX. The size i posted for the SX will bring it back closer to what the LX size is and a bit more to compensate for low reading speedo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
"What I use is those damn boxes that tell you how fast you're going (thank you toronto police), combined with GPS." - LOL, Good One! :)

I'd have to agree with dudzhackit in the sense that when you interface a computer with a mechanical device, the computer is always going to be the first to act. A good example, when I come to a complete stop, my speedometer needle is still falling from 10 KM/H then to 0 KM/H. I've noticed with other cars I've driven too with analog speedometers (haven't driven any with digital speedometers, so can't comment on the accuracy of them).

·
Registered
257 Posts
All speedo's unless certified tend to show your speed is faster than actually is. The effect normally gets greater the faster you go. I assume its done for safety reasons, but even certified speedo's still have a 5mph + or - error.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts