Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'll try to keep it short
My speedometer reads high by 5mph across the spectrum
this is according to 2 independent GPS systems and numerous roadside police radars.
I confronted a KIA dealer about it but they say that nobody complains about it except cops (who have the accurate equipment) and that there's a 10% tolerance for error so my 5 off at 70 doesn't cut it. When I insisted they come for a drive with me and see that it's 5 off at 25 and that's out of their tolerance they picked up the phone to schedule a (bogus) appointment with the calibration shop. Anyways that Norfolk dealer gave me the run around until I went down to Florida, they even wanted me to sign a non-disclosure agreement saying that I wouldn't say they tried to fix my speedometer for free.
OK--- FL, I go to the dealership here and explain the whole problem to one of the maintenance sups and she agrees that it is annoying and goes to talk to someone else. she comes back with a BS story about how it takes longer for the signal to hit the GPS and come back then it does for the wheels to read on the road to industry designs GPS units to read faster.
basically I lost my breath and wanted to hit something but I laughed and said "really?". Idiots, I have better things to do with my time then deal with them so I left
Issue still unresolved
Can you all check to see if you have this issue as well? Thank you

I'm new here but I am loving my 2011 Koup

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have my double din nav unit and it has a speedometer on it and it's about 1 mph faster then the stock speedometer. So I don't know if u have a technical problem or something but it shouldnt be 5mph off

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I actually have the problem, I'm off by about 2mph, but on the slow side. Going 57mph get's me 55mph

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
mine is off by about 3 mph. when it says i am doing 60, i am really doing 57. its normal. as you said legal limit is 10%. but i would try to get it fixed. (PS: changing your rims will adjust it)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
ok- here i go again being mr.meany.... my remarks are added inside the post........
....... 2 independent GPS systems((( you have 2 GPS's running in the car at same time? why?))) and numerous roadside police radars.(((oh- so how many times pulled over and shown the radar results? - and no tickets out of it all?)))
I confronted a KIA dealer about it but they say that nobody complains about it except cops (who have the accurate equipment)(((cops complain about drivers driving too fast and getting tickets? or is it the cops that own kias complaining about getting speeding tickets? hmm- 1)cops have a pretty good idea from all of their driving experience-they know when they are speeding in their POV's...2)cop in kia getting pulled for speeding-i am sure he could joke his way out of that one))) and that there's a 10% tolerance for error so my 5 off at 70 doesn't cut it. When I insisted they come for a drive with me and see that it's 5 off at 25 and that's out of their tolerance they picked up the phone to schedule a (bogus) appointment with the calibration shop. Anyways that Norfolk (((which norfolk)))dealer gave me the run around until I went down to Florida(((where in florida))), they even wanted me to sign a non-disclosure agreement saying that I wouldn't say they tried to fix my speedometer for free.
OK--- FL, I go to the dealership here and explain the whole problem to one of the maintenance sups and she agrees that it is annoying and goes to talk to someone else. she comes back with a BS story about how it takes longer for the signal to hit the GPS and come back then it does for the wheels to read on the road to industry designs GPS units to read faster.
basically I lost my breath and wanted to hit something but I laughed and said "really?". Idiots, I have better things to do with my time then deal with them so I left
Issue still unresolved
Can you all check to see if you have this issue as well? Thank you

I'm new here but I am loving my 2011 Koup(((stick/auto/2/4/5 door/trim level-aftermarket wheels/tires?)))
just understand why i am asking these questions... i am not a hater- however--- having seen autobots come in here - i gotta toss my questions out and see what happens.

·
Registered
45 Posts
IDK if Barb will be back or not, but today I checked the speedo against my TomTom GPS and set the cruise on a long straight highway to let the GPS be happy.

60 on the speedo was 58 ala GPS, 70 on the speedo was 68. Close enough for me.

Now I know my 5 over is only 3 over. ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well its true that some gps's take longer to register the accurate speed, my tomtom takes atleast 5 seconds to register the correct speed, but them again i have a cheap little tomtom :p

·
Registered
641 Posts
Personally I wouldn't be concerned about it being 5mph off. I would however be extremely upset if the odometer was off as well and since those usually run off the same gear I'd definitely be checking out your odometer against real distance traveled. That would end up affecting your resale value and warranty expiration if it's counting off faster than it should. If it's slower...may not want to fix it for those same reasons ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
What size tires do you have? If the speedometer is calibrated from the base model it could be off by a little bit but it should be within 5mph. The following are tire options based on standard manufacture specs...

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
According to my Garmin mine is pretty much spot on. My spectra was off 5mph when it got into higher speeds, but now lower speeds. It was weird.

·
Registered
88 Posts
When I had my garmin i was also off by about 1MPH. Whever I was driving my GPS was always 1MPH faster than what my cluster said. :confused:

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
This topic has been posted before. Most of them are slower by about 2 mph. I find it convenient to help me keep from (unintentionally) speeding.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I find it convenient to help me keep from (unintentionally) speeding.
^^ +1
@tampajoey in Rhuebarb's defense, where I work (on a military base), they are constantly putting up those roadside speed indicators. He/She may very well have the same situation. They also indicate my speedo is off by about 2mph.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
.....i drive by one of those radar signs about every 3 or 4 weeks ( depends on how pissed off the neighborhood gets) - and i get a variation +/- 1-2 mph all the time.

there is always going to be a minor variation. the OP variation- is much greater than the normal minor variation.

i admit- i reread the OP and yes- they were prob talking about the roadside radar signs. however- depending on how far off axis the gun in those signs is pointing, how far off axis to the gun the car is going- that can also contribute to variations of the speed displayed on the signs.
only way for radar to get 100% accurate reading is on a nice long straight shot down the axis of the car in question. thats why- in addition to just a speed gun reading- most places require the officer to testify to his impression of speed based on his training and experience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Personally I wouldn't be concerned about it being 5mph off. I would however be extremely upset if the odometer was off as well and since those usually run off the same gear I'd definitely be checking out your odometer against real distance traveled. That would end up affecting your resale value and warranty expiration if it's counting off faster than it should. If it's slower...may not want to fix it for those same reasons ;)
1 or 2 mph wouldn't bother me, but from 30 and up its 5 off. it's just annoying I have my GPS
Well that is the one reason I'm upset, I do a lot of driving and the 50k warranty will be out at 45k... but KIA seems unconcerned about it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Sorry about the late reply, I thought I would get emails or something, I'll check my settings.....
My phone (Atrix) has google maps and my tomtom...
Roadside sensors as in those annoying ones that display your speed as you go by not cops trying to give me a ticket
Police complain because they have access to calibrated speed detection equipment (radar guns) and will come in complaining that their speedometer is off
Bay Kia Norfolk, VA
Orange Park Kia Jax

(Still stock rim/tires) 6 speed black Koup with leather, 20% tint all around

So would you say I should pursue this matter to get it fixed?

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
So if my speedo is telling me I'm doing 65mph, but I'm only doing 63mph, then after only 10,000miles my odo would be off by almost 400 miles (not in my favor)?

Odo reading 10,000miles / 65mph * 63mph = actual miles drive 9692
I may not be using the right equation here, because it would be speed dependent. But then again, if it's always 2mph off, then the higher the speed, the closer the ratio would be to 1:1.

I would venture to say my average speed is closer to 50, with in town driving (9600 actual miles). Put's the warranty up 2000 miles to soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine is also off by about 2mph, my dealership said my speedometer was working to spec, but if a bulletin comes out they will let me know.

They tested the car at 11mph and 2 left tires said 11mph 2 right tires said 10mph... At 45mph, cruise flat surface, on my speedo and with 2 different GPS units say Im doing 43.

I'm going to be emailing the head of consumer affairs to have her look into it.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
2mph is "in spec"
The best fix I've seen on the forum so far, is to get 225/45/R17 tires.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts