Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend just bought a used 2017 EX and since I am the "car person" in the relationship, he asked me to look at it when he started hearing a noise. It looks like the splash guard on the passenger side is rubbing against the tire because a screw came out. Easy fix. But, I went to compare it to the driver side and the driver side doesn't have a splash guard at all. I've been reading through here and it seems like the only benefit is to keep down the amount of dirt and mud that splashes up onto the car. Are there any other reasons to have these installed? Are they necessary or beneficial in any other way? We live in the south and don't have to deal with salted or sanded roads. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

·
Super Moderator
199 Posts
No not necessary. Basically to keep dirt, salt, snow, rocks, dust, etc off the side/underside/rocker panels of the car. If possible, it's worth replacing it though. They're cheap.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Splash guard? I'm confused. You mean the fender liner/skirt?

If so, I don't recommend driving long term without it. Your engine bay will have more exposure to moisture. Despite you living in the South, that can still cause premature rust to components and the frame in the long run.

More rocks flying up there means more chance of rock chips. Eventually that means rust. Kia's don't exactly have tough paint. Plus, you really don't want animal guts in difficult places should you run one over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mud
Splash guard? I'm confused. You mean the fender liner/skirt?

If so, I don't recommend driving long term without it. Your engine bay will have more exposure to moisture. Despite you living in the South, that can still cause premature rust to components and the frame in the long run.

More rocks flying up there means more chance of rock chips. Eventually that means rust. Kia's don't exactly have tough paint. Plus, you really don't want animal guts in difficult places should you run one over.
They mean mud flaps not inner fender liner.🙄

1 - 6 of 6 Posts