Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use the sport shift everyday everytime I drive. Wheather its racing or going to the grocery store. Is this bad for my fortes tranny? or is the 5speed auto designed to b driven either way? I prefer the sport shift cause I like being able to have that power ready whenever I need it. does anybody else use the sport shift only? If so have u had any problems?

·
Registered
453 Posts
should had got a six speed:D. i dont think it should hurt it, but now if your driving the s#!t out of it than yeah. taking the rpms up to 3,000 and shifting should be ok, plus the tranny is under warranty so drive it how you want.... i do

·
Registered
204 Posts
I use the Sportmatic to get around the 2nd to 3rd shift/jerk problem on the first shift. After that I put it in 'D'. Sportmatic is OK but the shifts are pretty sloppy compared to Volswagen's paddle shifters which shift immediately.

·
Registered
78 Posts
yah, and I don't like how you can't shift whenever you want... I wish I could quick-shift to 5 to save gas (i used to go 1-3-5 in my civic and bypass 2ndand 4th gear altogether) but it won't let me get into 5th until I reach some minimum speed. oh well. 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, right? I say drive it however you want. :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
yah, and I don't like how you can't shift whenever you want... I wish I could quick-shift to 5 to save gas (i used to go 1-3-5 in my civic and bypass 2ndand 4th gear altogether) but it won't let me get into 5th until I reach some minimum speed. oh well. 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, right? I say drive it however you want. :)

actually you can and you cant... You can delay shifting but cant defeat it or rush it. The sport shift will not let you go higher or lower than the recommended RPM for that gear. So if you are doing say 30-35 you can't shift to 1st no matter how hard you try. Also like you stated you can't jump to 5th. Honestly I think it does a very good job of shifting on its own as far as saving gas goes. It gets you into 5th gear right around 50 and is pretty good at not being too sluggish yet getting you moving with min gas use. the ONLY thing that I have found useful in the sport shift is that fact that in that mode you can hold it in a higher rpm so you are in the power band for takeoff on rolling starts, freeway entrance, lane change etc... Even in sports shift mode you can't defeat the redline shift. so It's really pointless other than being able to hold it in the power band. And if you drive it around like that all the time I can promise you that your MPG will suffer. I have played with this extensively.

But this has all be discussed and complained about before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts