Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. Now I know there are many threads on aftermarket springs and such, butmy question arises from having read them. There are some that have apparently had issues with their vehicle's or it's handling since. After having read some of these I became very hesitant about buying new springs for my car as I do not want any issues with it or its warranty. Would you all give me your feedback on buying springs or not? I'd appreciate it as I'm still interested in buying some. Thanks. Sorry for the long post, just want to be very clear. ;)

·
Registered
695 Posts
I had eibach spring on my koup for about 6 months and havent had any real issues. The handling improved and the look was really great. Easy to install, would like to have new struts and shocks to go with them but no such luck.

The only word of caution would be that lowering your car will add more stress on your shocks and struts, so you may have to get them replaced sooner.

·
Registered
695 Posts
^^^ well it most likely will void your warranty on your struts. Its going to be hard to talk your dealer into replacing those once you lower your car.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. They do look nice lowered and handle better, but I know there were multiple people on here having problems with their vehicles veering to the right. Also not sure if I want to deal with a rougher ride. Then of course there are many that haven't had any issues. Like anything one purchases, I guess you run the risk of getting a defective item.

·
Registered
312 Posts
but I know there were multiple people on here having problems with their vehicles veering to the right.
You typically get an alignment after anytime you play around with the suspension.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here's what ya do.... Coilovers! Lowers the car, and if ya don't like it, raise em. You're looking to spend at least a G, but the good thing is you can play around with them and adjust the ride to your likings.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Is there even a set of coilovers out for the Forte? Post link, cause I wanna buy some then (even though I just bought a set of lowering springs).

·
Registered
585 Posts
The Forte already has an extremely stiff suspension, and if you have the Sx it is sports-tuned, meaning that it already 'turns on a dime'. You might not ever notice the 'improved handling' if you lower the car. If you are a regular driver that simply backs out of his driveway, goes to work, then goes to Walmart and then goes home, at what point will you get to feel the 'improved handling'? Maybe never. Putting chunkier tires will not improve the suspension feel either, when you hit a pothole...you will pretty much feel it whether the tires are stock or chunkier [there is a limit to what tire size you can put and even the largest size will not smooth out your stiff suspension]. Lowering the car might also cause the front bumper to scrape over bumps, low driveways and in todays weather ice and snow. Some people here have experienced alignment issues that they can not seem to correct. Parts of your suspension might fail sooner as well. As for the looks, that is subjective and entirely on a person by person basis. If you have money to throw around and you like the look - try it, otherwise it is sometimes better to leave things as they are.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I'm probably going to keep it stock. I'll probably just get some bigger rims. Well, bigger for my ride at least. As I have an EX I'll get some 17s. The bigger I go the louder and rougher the ride gets as well right? These cars already have a loud ride. I mean, I know it depends on the profile as well.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I Installed Eibach lowering springs back in November. Haven't experienced any issues...YET. Ride feel is barely different. it feels almost exactly the same as stock, the stock springs are pretty stiff as well. It handles sliiightly better, barely noticeable tho, just a tad less body roll. Problem is, Dealer said my suspension warranty is voided. Best bet is definitely coil-overs, because then you aren't putting "stress" on the struts. they are specially made struts that will last long. I haven't aligned my wheels since iv'e gotten the springs installed btw, but it drives straight and true i can let go of the wheel for maybe 4-5 seconds before it starts veering, and thats generally because of road unevenness. Though I bought cambers, I haven't gotten them installed because it is rather expensive.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Only reason i'd think about buying springs is for appearance, lowering car, and possible slight handling benifits.

I have an SX - I think a lot of forum members forget the SX comes factory with sports tuned suspension - weather its just stiffer springs or the struts/socks whole suspension I dont know - but I do know when I bought the car the sales man and I pushed down on an lx and ex rear trunk and trunk lip (with the trunk opened) and the rear swayed a lot more than the SX, the SX felt a lot stiffer - it honestly was a nigh/day difference.

I dont know how this translates to actual road driving (mean pushing on a trunk isnt a fair test for suspension/road handling) but I can say without a doubt I like my factory sports tuned suspension and wouldn't change anything about it - not in the near future atleast.

tl;dr

if you have an lx or ex sure buy them, but remember sx has factory sports tuned suspension and I would wait until my warranty is up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts