Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 2010 2.0L kia forte sedan and I'm hoping someone is able to give me some advice as to what to try next to help get rid of my serpentine belt squeal problem. As mentioned, I had the serpentine belt and idler pulley replaced but the squeal is still there.

Sometimes when I drive the car long enough, the squeal will go away but every time the car sits for an extended period of time without being used and I start it up again the squeal comes back.

I have attached a video I took with the sound that the car is making: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhTh2kwc3YU&feature=youtu.be

Any help in diagnosing this would be awesome!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Others have reported A/C compressors causing noise, but of course there are other possibilities as well. Was this a shop doing the work, or your DIY? If it was a shop, IMO they should have done better than just hanging on a belt and a pulley and sending it back out with the noise still there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
did you use a kia-brand belt or something aftermarket? that could make the difference.
but you could always do the old long screwdriver technique. use it as a stethoscope, checking each pulley individually. maybe have a friend inside the car, changing the rpms to change the noise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem (March 2018) and when at the dealership they can't hear the noise. I've had 2 mechanics say it is the ball bearings inside the tensioner that are worn a bit (after 85K miles on the car).

I know the part/work is covered under my warranty (basic and purchased extended). Today I am going to tell them to fix it even if they cannot hear the noise. Because, as the whole world knows, the noise will come back in a day or so.

Edit:
So, the dealership just called me and said again that they cannot hear the noise and will not fix it because they cannot determine that it is a problem. They will check again later and call back. I am just going to continue driving their loaner car until they fix the tensioner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts