Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to install a short ram or cold air intake but I don't know what are these 2 hoses who are connect to the engine....I think one is call "engine breath"...but I don't know what they do and where connect it with a new intake.

thx

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Hi,

I want to install a short ram or cold air intake but I don't know what are these 2 hoses who are connect to the engine....I think one is call "engine breath"...but I don't know what they do and where connect it with a new intake.

thx
You can install a mini filter for that breather hose instead of pulling it from the intake tubing if you don't know how to get that connection done. You will have to replace or clean two filters though afterwards.

Picture shows the setup I am mentioning.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can install a mini filter for that breather hose instead of pulling it from the intake tubing if you don't know how to get that connection done. You will have to replace or clean two filters though afterwards.

ok and what is the other hose?

·
Registered
973 Posts

yeah all the little hose is positive crank ventilation, keeping gases out of the crank case
think of it like a bov venting to atmosphere in a turbo setup if you put a little breather on there instead; as MFury said theres not really any need to hook the hose up if you can put a breather on there, it'll work the same. is the other hose you're talking about the one going to the throttle body, on the side of the block down towards the bottom? take a picture of the stock setup and circle what ya need and I'm sure we'll be able to help you=]

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah all the little hose is positive crank ventilation, keeping gases out of the crank case
think of it like a bov venting to atmosphere in a turbo setup if you put a little breather on there instead; as MFury said theres not really any need to hook the hose up if you can put a breather on there, it'll work the same. is the other hose you're talking about the one going to the throttle body, on the side of the block down towards the bottom? take a picture of the stock setup and circle what ya need and I'm sure we'll be able to help you=]
I will take picture tomorrow, but the other hose is...if you take the picture of Mfury, is under he strutbar, side of the SRI.

If I understood, you don't need to connect it?...just clogged it? or let it reject in the air?

·
Registered
144 Posts
With the breather hose connected to the intake box it acts like a vacuum so it helps pull gases from the crank case. The filter does the same thing, just not as effectively.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
With the breather hose connected to the intake box it acts like a vacuum so it helps pull gases from the crank case. The filter does the same thing, just not as effectively.
the breather is were Mfury put a small filter?

I have one place to connect a hose on my SRI...but I have 2 hoses.

I will connect the breather on the intake....it's the second hoses that I don't know what to do with...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Maybe the term "hose" is confusing? Let's call the air intake large tubes the "tubes" and the small hose that the little filter in that picture is connected to the "hose". The picture I posted isn't my car since I have the TurboKits CAI which has the hose connector attached to the intake tube and mine is red.
The stock setup has two tubes, one with air coming into the air filter box and another going to the intake from that air filter box. The CAI replaces both of those tubes with a shorter metal tube attaching to the intake.
I made some diagrams using paint so don't mind the artistry.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it's always better with a picture!!! :D

I circle the 2 hoses

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just saw that the air intake for US model has one hoses and for the canadian model has two hoses...:confused:

don't know why....and I don't know at this time where to connect the second hose!!!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mine's Canadian and MFury is in Canada and his picture doesn't show it. I don't have that hose either, but my intake tube has the provision where that 2nd hose would connect to the intake tube next to the breather connection.

Whether its some kind of smog return or what I have no idea.

·
Registered
973 Posts
wow I have no idea what that could be, I can confirm us models dont have that going on. all i can think of is something for smog/emissions..

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
wow I have no idea what that could be, I can confirm us models dont have that going on. all i can think of is something for smog/emissions..
Yup agreed, I was going to say the same thing;)
does that second hose go into the motor or does it go into a charcoal canister?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I was thinking maybe automatic tranny breather hose? Haven't seen under the hood of an automatic so not sure on their setup.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think that might be the best guess ;)
I have te Eco mode in dash....but I don't have te eco package....It doesn't exist in Québec

1 - 20 of 57 Posts