Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. My daughter has a 2012 Forte Koup and if the car is not used for a few days it will not start. After jumping the battery it works fine until it sits for a few days again. Battery recently replaced. When trying to start after sitting for a few days it acts like the battery is dead (turns over slowly and eventually stops) lights seem normal, not dimmed due to low voltage. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Sounds like this either a short in the wiring or, more likely, a drain on the battery after the vehicle has been shut off. Has any work (aside from the battery) been done recently? Assuming none, then check to see if she has anything electronic plugged in after shut-down which may be drawing continuously. If not that, then also make sure nothing has been manually switched on, such as a dome light. If the problem is still unknown after all of that, then a parasitic draw test will be required as the first step in determining the source of the battery drain. Not difficult to DIY if you have a muli-meter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help. I have checked all items that could have been left on and found nothing. Where can I find instructions for the parasitic drain test? I am in SC right now and car is in South Florida so I won't be able to check it until I go back down there in March. I have a multi-meter.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Wow, March - that will be a long time to have something like this going on! But I understand because I'm 900 and 400 miles away from my 2 daughters, and try to do all the repairs and maintenance on their vehicles. So I know all about trying to avoid paying shop rates, and how problematic this stuff can be, living so far away.

First step in parasitic draw testing is to shut off everything electrical, close/lock all doors, and disconnect the hood switch connector. Next remove the negative battery cable and hook up the mult-meter in series between the battery cable and post. One really important thing is to let everyone know to not start the vehicle, because that would probably nuke the multi-meter. The KIA FSM says to stage in a jumper cable, in order to avoid completely disconnecting and resetting the battery. I've never done that on other vehicles, but it's an easy enough thing to do, so I guess why not do it their way.

After 20 minutes of being completely shut down, the reading on the multi-meter should be no more than 50 milliamps. If the meter reads over 50, then pull fuses one-by-one, until the meter drops to under 50. The fuse causing the meter to drop corresponds to the circuit that's causing the parasitic draw. The final step is to examine everything on that circuit, in order to find specifically what's causing the draw.

Frankly I was expecting this issue to be something connected (or left on) inside the vehicle drawing the battery down, just because it's the most common reason. But if that's not it, there are a couple of other possibilities, in addition to parasitic draw.

First is the possibility of a bad (new) battery from the store. Although a bad battery off the shelf doesn't happen very often, it shouldn't be dismissed as impossible. And as Paul mentioned above, a bad alternator is also in the mix. IMO that's not very likely, because an alt not producing enough voltage should result in the battery dying while driving. But a bad alt, belt loop issue, or even a bad ECM can't be eliminated as the possible cause, until the actual culprit is found.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd also like to point out that if you use your multi-meter to do a parasitic drain test, start with the 10-Amp setting first, just in case it's something larger than milli-amp setting can handle. Not likely, but it's a good place to start. Then after that shows that is in likely in the milli-amp setting you can switch to there and not worry about blowing the fuse in your meter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In the meantime she could take it to a place like Autozone or Advance and let them check the battery and alternator. It's free, at least in my neck of the woods, and it would be a quick way to rule either of those issues out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
These guys nailed it on the head, you can also YouTube how to perform a parasitic draw test if you have any questions.

Did your daughter recently install a GPS or phone charger or FM transmitter etc?

Not sure if the 1st gen fortes have a constant power aux port, but make sure nothing is plugged in.

I doubt its your alternator, you'd have problems while driving.

Ensure the replacement battery is good too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all! Sounds easy enough, I'll give it a try when I get back down there. I'll also have her take it to Auto Zone and have them check the battery and alternator. She drives it every day so problem doesn't rear its ugly head until she flies up here for a few days for a visit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for your help. I have checked all items that could have been left on and found nothing. Where can I find instructions for the parasitic drain test? I am in SC right now and car is in South Florida so I won't be able to check it until I go back down there in March. I have a multi-meter.
My wife is doing the same thing it will clickNumerous times I have to turn the key off and onMultiple timesAnd then eventually it will crank up no problem It's got to be somethingTo doWith the manufacturing of this year

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ehhhh, Blane96, you DO realize this thread is 5 years old, right? As for your issue, I'd recommend having the battery load tested first. If it checks out all right, check your battery cables for corrosion. It will often creep up under the insulation on the cables and you won't notice it until crap like this starts to happen. Clean the ground connection thoroughly and make sure to clean the battery posts and clamps too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts