Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really sure how to describe this, but when I get upwards of 80 MPH I notice that my steering starts getting, kinda touch, wobly, like the car doesn't want to stay strait anymore. Never had this on other cars. Anyone noticed anything?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't feel like mine gets loose at 80. I have not tried going overly fast but up to about 95 it still felt great.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have done 90 and I haven't noticed any issues with my forte koup.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
hmm, I have not noticed any change at any speeds in my koup.. I've had her to about 120mph, ran out of road:(
Just in case I'd try to have them check it out if you have a dealer you can trust where you are.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
lol- all depends on the road surface, wind, full vs 1/4 full gas tank, and yes- type of tires.

and are you talking specifically about the steering getting wonky- or just the car feeling like its floating around?
(after all- how much steering are you doing at 80mph? lane changes? or are you running some giant slalom some where?)

i have taken my koup up to around 80 or 90 or so- on a couple of different kind of road surfaces- on the nice super smooth super highway- didnt feel the least bit wonky.
on the bridge crossing the bay w/the expansion joints (and perhaps an ocean breeze)
the car did feel a lil wonky - felt like it was getting a lil loose - nothing scary- just glad that the bridge is nice and straight and i didnt have to worry about any sharp turns........

now- when i took at 45 mph tour up/down our nice bayside roadway-(with all sorts of variations in road pavement styles and repairs) - thats when i realized how much of a throwback the torsion beam rear suspinsion really is.... felt like hitting a bump while making a turn was gonna be interesting.....

but in all of these- never felt it was the steering that was causing the effect........

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Gonna try to answer all of these questions. The way the car feels when going at higher speeds is, well, like any minor correction I make it feels like the car want's to go our of control, it becomes harder to keep it in the lane, so yeah, floating..... like a balloon in a stiff breeze but there isn't any wind when this is happening. This is all happening on a pretty strait stretch of roadway. Ironically when I get up in the 90+ range it actually starts feeling smoother. Not sure if the 80mph range is the median where there is more lift than drag or what but after that it starts feeling like it's more stable. As for lowering springs, I'd love to put some on the car, cept I don't have $1k or more to drop on it at this point.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Yea the only difference from 60mph to 146mph is that around 135mph you start to hear your wheel well make a humming sound.still can't figure it out

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yeah depends on the road, I've had it to 110 on a bridge and it felt planted, but at 80 on an old back road my car felt like it was trying to take off. I have noticed that the steering wheel gets extremely light, but I think that's because of the hydraulic assisted steering.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well this all takes place on I-75 so the whole backroad thing doesn't really apply :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I feel that too, but comming from a 350Z it's understandable. Once you driver rear wheel it's hard to get used to front wheel drive. The power and the steering comming from the same wheels causes it. My 2pennies.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
now- when i took at 45 mph tour up/down our nice bayside roadway-(with all sorts of variations in road pavement styles and repairs) - thats when i realized how much of a throwback the torsion beam rear suspinsion really is.... felt like hitting a bump while making a turn was gonna be interesting.....
I didn't like the rear end jittering around over bumpy road surfaces so I ended up buying a rear sway bar. Man, what a difference it made. If you enjoy spirited driving, it's a must-have.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've read and seen a few reviews that talk about the steering being the reverse of what it should be. It should be loose at slow speeds and stiffer at higher speeds. But the reviewers say that Kia has the reverse on these cars. It's one of the reasons I decided to wait for the 2011's. I hope they fix this.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've read and seen a few reviews that talk about the steering being the reverse of what it should be. It should be loose at slow speeds and stiffer at higher speeds. But the reviewers say that Kia has the reverse on these cars. It's one of the reasons I decided to wait for the 2011's. I hope they fix this.
You really should drive one, the steering is perfect for me I actually really enjoy it more than the last 5 cars I've owned.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You really should drive one, the steering is perfect for me I actually really enjoy it more than the last 5 cars I've owned.
Who said I didn't drive one? I test drive it about 4 times. I just found a few reviews that concur with my test drives. I'm not trashing the car, I almost bought one, but these issues are what made me decide to wait for the 2011 models.

In the video, go to 2:14: And I quote: "While there's a lot to love in the package, there's a couple of small issues. ."The standard hydraulic steering is pretty stiff at low speed, but light at higher speeds, which is sort of the opposite of what you want

Check the dislikes section from: Kia Forte Photos, Prices, Reviews, Specs - All Small Cars

"Dislikes: Awkward clutch coordination for manual transmission, Steering feel (hydraulic assist)"

From: 2010 Kia Forte - First Drive Review - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

"The numb steering required too much correction to maintain a line in corners and to stay in a lane on the freeway. The six-speed manual wasn’t particularly fun, either, with a vague clutch and notchy shifter."

From:Review: 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX a beauty queen that can't hide its roots — Autoblog

"Unsurprisingly, the Koup SX and its powerful four-pot suffer from the same over-sensitivity to throttle inputs as the Forte sedan. There's just no easy way to apply power, as the go pedal is more like a light switch – it's either on or off. Hopefully Kia will correct this in future models, as the illusion of quickness gets tiring after four or five stop lights. To the contrary, the brakes on our tester weren't sensitive enough, with a long-travel pedal that doesn't grab until your foot nears the floor. The SX model does, however, have larger 11.8-inch front rotors than the EX and disc brakes are standard in the back for both. Meanwhile, the rack-and-pinion power steering is heavier at low speeds than expected and lacks precision at higher speeds. All this is to say that the Forte Koup does drive like a two-door version of the sedan despite what the flashy bodywork suggests."

·
Registered
120 Posts
Maybe you just don't find it a nuisance the way the reviewers did. But it is one of the things that needs improving with the car, along with the clutch/gas pedal problem and the handling. No car is perfect though and I still think the 2010 is a good car. I just think it will be better if the 2011 addresses all these issues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.