Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Replacement steering wheel badges seem to come with 3m tape and are intended to overlap the original KIA badge.
I did not personally like the overlapping look so I decided to remove the original badge.

First - a picture of the badge so you know what you are up against. I had no idea how it was fastened to the steering wheel before I started. It turns out that the emblem is just stamped metal with the graphics painted on. Because it is just painted, be as careful as possible to not scratch the emblem during removal. It has 6 tabs on the back to hold it on the wheel.

Here is what I did to remove the badge...

1. Remove the HORN fuse from the fuse box in the engine compartment. In my 2.4 SX Sedan, this was a yellow 10A fuse. It's location is clearly marked in the fuse box cover. Test the horn to be sure the correct fuse was pulled. This will allow you to apply pressure where needed without disturbing your neighbors :)

2. Find a thin, pointy, hard tool to get under the edge of the emblem and allow a fair amount of pressure from prying. For this, I used a dart - the kind you throw at dartboards.

3. As much as possible, be patient and make sure the tip of the tool you are using stays against the back edge of the emblem. Any damage you do on the back would not be visible if the emblem needs to be re-installed. Also, be sure to protect the soft material of the horn area so it is not damaged during this effort.

4. When the tabs start to pull out you will have more opportunity to get a different tool behind to help pull the emblem without causing damage. I used a plastic tool I had to finish pulling the emblem from the wheel.

5. I do not have a picture of this part, but when the emblem is removed you will see a plastic oval with a raised plastic frame making the dome. This is where I applied my after-market 3m tape badge.

6. Put the HORN fuse back in. Make sure the horn works.

I hope this helps anyone looking to replace the steering wheel emblem in this manner.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Thank you so much for posting this! I bought a steering wheel emblem but chose not to install it because I didn't like how much it stuck out from the steering wheel when it was placed over the existing badge. I was afraid of trying to take the emblem off myself without knowing how it was fastened, but thanks to you, I now feel comfortable doing it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for posting this! I bought a steering wheel emblem but chose not to install it because I didn't like how much it stuck out from the steering wheel when it was placed over the existing badge. I was afraid of trying to take the emblem off myself without knowing how it was fastened, but thanks to you, I now feel comfortable doing it!
This is the biggest reason I wanted to get the DIY together for the steering wheel badge. I thought it was held in with tape before I started.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Well i am glad you did this write up, i was considering just leaving the OEM badge because i didn't want to place the new one over it (looked weird sticking out). Didn't want to start prying the badge out, worried the airbag may deploy or something crazy like that. Nothing worst then getting hit by a dart because the airbag went off in your face.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I just finished replacing my steering wheel emblem and wanted to say how much easier it was to do than I thought it would be. With all the mounted controls and the steering wheel airbag I was really worried that removing the badge would cause damage or be extremely complicated. It took longer for me to locate the horn fuse than it did to remove and replace the emblem!

You've done an awesome job on all of your DIY posts. Keep up the good work and thanks again! :)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I followed 1joeyoung's instructions today, very quick to do. I took pictures for those asking for a few more pics.

I put the pics in order from start to finish job.
1. Fuse Box under hood right next to battery. TurboKits intake visible :)
2. Fuse box lid removed by pressing on tabs on both sides of lid.
3. pointing at fuse remover tool (White)
4. touching the horn fuse with tool
5. fuse removed
6. showing tool that I used (multitool) used the small pointy flat tip
7. badge removed sitting on top of wheel
8. side shot with no badge
9. new badge
10. side shot of new badge

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I followed 1joeyoung's instructions today, very quick to do. I took pictures for those asking for a few more pics.

I put the pics in order from start to finish job.
1. Fuse Box under hood right next to battery. TurboKits intake visible :)
2. Fuse box lid removed by pressing on tabs on both sides of lid.
3. pointing at fuse remover tool (White)
4. touching the horn fuse with tool
5. fuse removed
6. showing tool that I used (multitool) used the small pointy flat tip
7. badge removed sitting on top of wheel
8. side shot with no badge
9. new badge
10. side shot of new badge
Great job with the additional pics, MFury!

·
Registered
567 Posts
just popped mine out and put on my k-emblem. Thanks to both of you for the pictures =]

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Bah! I wish this thread came up before I put the K badge over my Kia emblem a long time ago. I thought I would make the airbag explode if I tried to mess with it. Oh well...

·
Registered
7 Posts
1joeyoung , thanks so much for the info and details , I did this mod this past weekend and it was so easy when I already new what to look for !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just wanted to add a HUGE THANK YOU for the instructions on how to do this. Switched out the emblems on front and back as well as stirring wheel this weekend.

·
Registered
25 Posts
anyone know the proper steering wheel emblem STICKER dimensions i need? I would want to just put the emblem with the 3M tape over it the original.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
anyone know the proper steering wheel emblem STICKER dimensions i need? I would want to just put the emblem with the 3M tape over it the original.
You can just go to your car and measure it. If you tape another emblem over the factory then you will find it sticking out more. Pulling off the original like in the instructions makes it look factory.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.