Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want the leather wrapped wheel since mine did not come with.

1. Are all Forte wheels the same?
2. Are 2010 the same as 2011?
3. Any problems you can think of with a swap?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am not sure what is compatible. The main issue would be making sure the airbag would connect without modification. With steering wheel swaps it's common for airbags to throw error codes when swapped if the wiring isn't exactly right.

The local dealer parts department has schematics for different parts. Just ask them to compare different models.

·
Registered
34 Posts
One of the things I dislike the most about my EX . . . that darn vinyl steering wheel!!!
:mad:
Feels horrible.
I need something different!

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wheelskins are OK, but I would rather have the real deal. Looks like I might be able to get one for around $100....thats cheap IMO.

I have swapped steering wheels in many cars and its pretty easy in most (30 min job)

I just need to do a little more research in order to determine if the 2010 ones are the same as 2011. Part Department here I come.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Honestly, the leather on the Kia wheel feels pretty much like vinyl. I'm sure it will last forever, but the wheelskins have a better feel.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found and bought for $115 delivered. Can't beat that IMO Should be here in 5-7 days. I am only using the bare leather covered wheel and swapping my stuff onto this wheel. Kia Mechanic said easy DIY of about 1 hour.

I also ordered the leather shifter knob for $39

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honestly, the leather on the Kia wheel feels pretty much like vinyl. I'm sure it will last forever, but the wheelskins have a better feel.
So after driving a few weeks with the leather wheel I have to disagree completely with you. I treated my wheel with several applications of conditioner and it feels so nice I find myself stroking it while driving (the wheel people!)

If you have vinyl YOU MUST DO THIS MOD. It is cheap and easy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can anyone please tell me where they are buying their steering wheels? The plastic piece holding the radio controls has unfortunately cracked, and I would like to replace it. I'd love to get just that piece, but I realize that's probably not possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Have you tried the dealer? It should be cheaper than buying a whole new wheel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Walpole:

I have contacted a dealer and am awaiting their response, but I was hoping I would get an answer here as well. The handful of places where I have seen a steering wheel assembly was saying it's going to cost around $500, so I was really wondering where the user got theirs that said they paid $100 for it, as well as if that is the stock wheel or a racing one. I wouldn't mind a racing one as long as there is a place to put the controls...

Thank you!

Jason

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Keep an eye on the leather.
Mine is at the dealership right now getting a replacement steering wheel and driver's seat cover under warranty.
The leather on both wheels were disintegrating.
The second steering wheel even had a stiffer material than the original that came with the car. As another member also stated, it felt as though it was vinyl.
I'm planning to apply conditioner this time around in hopes to reduce the issue. So far they've been lasting approx. 25K kms. each wheel.
The leather seats have the same issue along the bolster area.
I'll be asking them if there is a 'Kia approved' leather conditioner that could be used. I have some quality Volvo leather conditioner which I'd imagine would more than acceptable for the application.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
My steering wheel leather is holding up well. I have 29k miles on the car and it still looks about like new. I put some conditioner on it once, same for the seats. The drivers seat is getting a little shiny, but still looks fine. I'm in and out of my car a lot, so I'm not surprised the drivers seat matte finish is wearing.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.