Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car for about 8 months and 21,000 miles. In the last few weeks, I have had an intermittent issue with the steering. While driving on the highway, the steering will initially have significant resistance to turn, then suddenly it moves. It's like the electric motor for the power steering is not activated until you provide more force than normal. It's noticeable on the highway, where you are making constant small corrections, I've never noticed it off the highway. When it happens, I need to have two hands on the wheel and even then, it's tough to not jerk around in my lane.

I've tried the other steering settings, but it doesn't improve things. I normally have the steering on "Sport". This has happened about 5 or 6 times and I thought it was my imagination at first. If I stop and turn the car off and back on, then head back onto the highway, the problem is gone.

It's not bad enough or consistent enough of a problem to bring to the dealer. I'm just curious if anyone else has encountered this issue.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen with my Santa Fe Sport! Changing the steering settings had no affect on the issue at all. Luckily I only had this last for a couple days and it has since come back (happened about 10 months ago). I can't remember if I reset the ECU to remedy the issue or not. You could try that but you're most likely going to need to take it in to the dealer. Make sure when you bring it in that the issue is present or they aren't going to do anything (even if it means leaving the car on to show them the issue when you get there)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a strange problem and I hope it either goes away or gets worse so I can bring it to the dealer. I can try resetting the ECU if it stays intermittent.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Any updates???

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've recently developed this issue as well (2015 forte 5 sx). I thought it was just me, and it also comes and goes as it pleases.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm at 48k miles now and the problem has disappeared. I still don't think the steering is great on the highway, but no more "stickiness".

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, I'm at 48k miles now and the problem has disappeared. I still don't think the steering is great on the highway, but no more "stickiness".
Did it just disappear or have you done anything to it? Once my car thaws from this ice storm we just had, I'll probably reset the ecu and see if that helps. It seems my problem cropped up after I installed the hotpipe and reset the ecu then.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't done anything to it, it just seemed to go away. I feel it come back a little on occasion, but not enough to bother me. No car is perfect and I take this as a small quirk.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I haven't done anything to it, it just seemed to go away. I feel it come back a little on occasion, but not enough to bother me. No car is perfect and I take this as a small quirk.
Perhaps yours isn't as bad as mine, I have trouble keeping my car in the lane when it happens. It'll stick, when it breaks free, I'm going that direction. Almost when I get worried about wrecking the car, and want to pull over, it'll subside.

·
Registered
37 Posts
OK so, update. I've done some testing. This is by no means definitive, but I've made some headway.

As I was driving down the freeway, with sticky steering wheel syndrome, I decided to do some tests. I was driving with traction control, and stability control off. I turned the system back on, and poof, the problem went away immediately.

I turned just traction control off, it stayed away. The second I turned stability control off, the problem returned.

I don't know what this means, as I literally just did it, but I'll report more as I find it

·
Registered
209 Posts
OK so, update. I've done some testing. This is by no means definitive, but I've made some headway.

As I was driving down the freeway, with sticky steering wheel syndrome, I decided to do some tests. I was driving with traction control, and stability control off. I turned the system back on, and poof, the problem went away immediately.

I turned just traction control off, it stayed away. The second I turned stability control off, the problem returned.

I don't know what this means, as I literally just did it, but I'll report more as I find it

That's interesting, I'll have to try the different settings and see if anything changes. So single press and release of the button just turns off traction control. Press and hold button until you hear the chime turns off both traction and stability control.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's interesting, I'll have to try the different settings and see if anything changes. So single press and release of the button just turns off traction control. Press and hold button until you hear the chime turns off both traction and stability control.
Right. Its been a habit for me to turn both off the second I crank the car, so I never put it together.

This still may not be the reason, but I'll be investigating it

·
Registered
37 Posts
OK. I can't test much on my old car, as I just traded it in for a 16. The new car doesn't show any signs of this whatsoever

·
Registered
37 Posts
Traded a '15 for a '16, why did you do that? Was the steering really that bad?
No. That wasn't the reason. I was actually there to have my cracked seat bolsters fixed under warranty. Apparently they decided they wanted me to trade my car in. Traded it one to one. Went from a red manual sx, to a steel blue automatic sx.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue and i went in debt for this!!! I do not feel safe driving this car and I so want to leave it and just walk away from it. No one seems to be interested in a fix for it. I have had it at the warranty place for 3 weeks just to be told it is "normal".

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the same issue and i went in debt for this!!! I do not feel safe driving this car and I so want to leave it and just walk away from it. No one seems to be interested in a fix for it. I have had it at the warranty place for 3 weeks just to be told it is "normal".
it is far from normal. I don't know if yours is as bad as mine was, but it makes you feel so disconnected from the car. It does get borderline dangerous feeling, especially if you have new tires that want to follow the grooves of the road, or on a windy day, when you need to make minor adjustments but no longer can due to the notchiness of the steering.

if they won't fix it, take it somewhere that will. Sadly, in todays day and age, you have dealerships that don't seem to want to help, or would rather find excuses than fixes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will give more detail....I bought the car and have now made 4 payments on this 2015 Kia Forte LX. Within 2 months I had it at the dealership as the steering has a sticky or dead spot in it and I would go from one line to the other line. I can not find a happy medium on where to steer to make this not happen. It is less noticeable at lower speeds and while in traffic but it is still there. I have gotten to where I feel a different feel while sitting still and moving the wheel. The warranty place says he feels what I am talking about and that is normal for this type steering and since there are NO dash lights coming on telling that something is wrong and nothing shows up on the scans that there is nothing for him to justify fixing. In the mean time I have been driving the car waiting to get a drunk driving accusation by the police or worse, run off the road. I should have kept the 2002 Saturn I had....least I could trust it. Just saying....

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are correct there in all comments. It is still under car warranty AND extended warranty and NOONE will do anything about it. Makes me think maybe I am the one with the issue....not the car lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts