Kia Forte Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
You are correct there in all comments. It is still under car warranty AND extended warranty and NOONE will do anything about it. Makes me think maybe I am the one with the issue....not the car lol
I thought the same thing. It's not you, it is the car, and it's not inherent to "how these systems work" or however that guy worded it to you. I don't know exactly what is causing it, but it's not normal, and in extremes are dangerous. be prepared to let a tech drive your car with you in it and replicate it for them. I've done this several times over several cars. Sometimes they don't know, or dont seem to want to know what you are replicating until they see it for themselves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought the same thing. It's not you, it is the car, and it's not inherent to "how these systems work" or however that guy worded it to you. I don't know exactly what is causing it, but it's not normal, and in extremes are dangerous. be prepared to let a tech drive your car with you in it and replicate it for them. I've done this several times over several cars. Sometimes they don't know, or dont seem to want to know what you are replicating until they see it for themselves.
Sort of reviving an old thread...

My 2016 Forte5 EX has been exhibiting this "sticky/notchy steering" bug pretty much since it was new. It's not too terrible in my case, but it's annoying as hell driving on the interstate with the "notchy" steering... especially when straight ahead seems to be back and forth through one of the "notches". For you geeky types like me... I imagine it being as if the steering wheel has like a 256-position digital encoder to turn the wheels (or at least adjust the power assist). I do find that the steering control has some (minor) effect.. the "comfort" setting seems to exhibit the "notchiness" less than my preferred "sport" setting. But on balance I usually leave it in "sport" mode, especially driving around town.

I've asked the dealerships about this a few times and they just short of shrug. My girlfriend just picked up a CPO used 2018 Forte LX with 34K miles yesterday, and I drove it back the 1 hour+ trip on the interstate. The steering on that car feels perfect in all three modes (although I still like the "sport" mode the best).

I looked up the KIA Service Bulletins CHA060 and CHA084, and it seems like these might be applicable. CHA060 is specific to Optima and Sorrento, but includes a diagnostic flowchart with solutions from updating ECU firmware to replacing the steering column. I guess I'll have a more informed chat with the dealer now and see if I can make some progress. The car is about 3.5 years old with just 28K miles, so I shouldn't get any grief about it being a warranty repair.

Is there any more news on this? Has anyone got it escalated to KIA factory folks?

21 - 22 of 22 Posts