Kia Forte Forum banner

Stock air box question

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  ZiggyM5 
#1 ·
So I just bought a green filter for my 22 gt and a buddy told me it's gonna make a lot more noise so I should run my stock air box open. I'm torn, I'm a child at heart and love all the noise I get from a turbo but I'm no engineer and they designed a closed box for a reason. It keeps the hot engine bay air out and I don't know if it's designed to work well or even do it's job if the box is open. Thoughts from all you knowledgeable folks?

#3 ·
That is the one exactly. Part #7367. Ordered it today. Heard it was a good start for us people that have to save for a few weeks to buy anything over a couple hundred bucks lol. Family has to come first but the bug is biting hard. Thanks for the response Acura_Kal!

#4 ·
Don't do it. You would have to find some way to have the air filter stay attached to the top part of the air box. If you want all the noise, any of the open filter intakes like AEM, K&N, and Injen will do that. If you want the sound and still have the stock air box functionality, AFE stage 2 intake is the way to go.

#5 ·
Thanks Hamster. Acura said the same thing so I'll have the green filter but the box will stay closed. I was leaning that direction anyway. My buddy can fix a windowed block with gum and a paperclip but he's a little short in the uncommon sense dept. I was USN as well so thanks for the info shipmate!

#8 ·
#10 ·
Whether it's Green Filter or K&N, the factory setup is designed around noise reduction. If you're just replacing the filter it will probably increase noise by 1-2%. You may not even notice it. The only advantage with a panel filter is that it doesn't need to be replaced. If it gets too dirty just vacuum or wash it and re-use it. Otherwise panel filters do nothing for performance or noise.
But the i30, Elantra, Velosterr, and Forte pretty much have interchangeable parts (ie- exhaust, intake, etc).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.