Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not sure if anybody else with the SX auto has this or not, but there is another filter that is inside the lid of the air box cover.
i just noticed this when i went to change the air filter that there was another filter inside the air box lid(which looks cheap and flimsy). what is it for if we already have an air filter? is it pointless?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can get a pic in the morning. it's weird...it's almost like the same filter used for a cabin filter but it's inside of the air box lid.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That's the Carbon Filter. I have it too. its for emissions, its makes our vehicle "ULEV" "Ultra Low Emission Vehicle" or slower in other words. It robs our Hp.
Buy a CAI. it will bypass this, just re hook up the factory stuff when it comes to Smogging.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If im correct its in all Fortes, but yes its a carbon filter. If you read the box, it says do not remove, carbon filter blah blah blah....., but as stated earlier, just add a CAI and it will fix that problem. if you dont wanna do that there are a couple other options

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought my Koup in Kansas...no carbon filter there...no emissions test in Missouri where I live either...we don't care about the smog ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
seems like a pointless filter to me..but then again i wasn't the engineer.
would it cause any problems if i removed it?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I got mine in up state n.y and the first thing i did is remove it , it is a pre filter a carbon filter for cal emissions . I took mine out and it made the intake sound beter ans louder, thank god we do not need it for emissions and when i took it out i put in a k&n drop it filter for good measure!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Be careful with removal, it is "plastic welded" by that I mean there are little connection points that are part of the top of the filter box. Its all one piece. So if you remove it be careful not to snap the top. There is somewhere in these forums where someone posted pics and removed it. You might be better off keeping it on and getting a Cold Air Intake. If you ever have to take it back to the dealer you'll want that thing stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i went and removed it. the intake is louder and the car accelerates better now...worthless filter since i live in pa and not ca. eventually i'll buy an intake for it, just can't afford one right now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wonder if Kia got there HP numbers with that stock airbox and the carbon filter. Because Turbokits showed the Stock hp at 150 something. So I wonder if the Stock air intake system is robbing over 20hp. That would really suck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Carbon filter removed...

I too removed the carbon filter...came right out...I def noticed better acceleration and increased fuel mileage!! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I too removed the carbon filter...came right out...I def noticed better acceleration and increased fuel mileage!! :)

well i took a long spin (30-40miles) in the forte and my gas mileage for around town went up...my car used to always get 24.8mpg with an average speed of 35mph, and now it's 27.9.
i'll have to keep an eye on the mpg's and see what kind of mileage i can get out of a full tank now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts