Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you didnt hear about THUNDERSNOW!!!1one.. It basically put the entire DC area into a multi-hour nightmare commute.

People in my office, left at 4pm, and what should have taken ~1hour, took 9.

I held off because I have been in this area long enough to know that unless you left before it started, you are stuck.

8pm, I give up, and decide to make a break for it. 45 minutes later I have turned my little Koup into a snowplow and have broken free of the unplowed parking lot. (literally the snow was higher then the bottom of the bumper. In that time, I truly figured out that the traction control on the Koup is WORTHLESS.

The entire rest of my drive home, was with NO traction control on at all.

I live 9 miles from work, GPS and Google confirm it.

Depending on the route, I can either direct shot down 495 and onto 395 or take a few other routes (side streets, alternate but parallel routes etc.), I KNEW 495 and ALL the major routes would be a parking lot, most of this area is transient and almost no one knows any routes beyond their main one and a backup route that everyone else knows too. Due to construction and bridges, I have to take part of these routes without a choice.

2 hours in, I decide to hunt for the most annoying music I can tolerate and begin to blast it while dancing like a retard in my car. To the point that people having rage fits literally stop mid scream and confused stare at me...

By this time, I decide that my 20k USD Koup is better then every single Mercedes, BMW and Lexus that I have passed or had to wait for because they were abandoned outright, or stuck having a burnout contest against themselves.

Finally I get to the area that I can break off and side street it on. Part of my brain at this point is reminding me of the fact that A. the snow is higher then the bottom of your bumper and B. you are NOT a 4x4. And then I pass another abandoned 4x4...

Ok, WTH, worst that happens is I sleep in my car, or I walk home. Side street I go, promptly followed by multiple cars of similar height (civic,camry, etc.) and a few trucks.

Who almost ALL get stuck. While I continue my ever so slow drive home.

I ended up literally driving around 4x4s, cars that cost 2-4x as much as the Koup, and Jeeps, who were stuck, abandoned, or spinning 4 tires like they were trying to break 100mph at a standstill.

Nearest that Google maps can figure out, because even it would not accept the route I put in, I drove 25 miles to go 9.

I walked in my door at midnight and was laughing still.

How does a car, that is FWD, with traction control OFF, drive AROUND Jeeps in 4x4 mode (assuming 4h) that are stuck?

Kia Forte Koup, it's also a snowplow!

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Lol you must off had some flame throwers on them wheels lol. I try to make it down a street last week full of snow and got stuck half way down the street. Some little kid got in my way so had to slow down and got stuck.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crock you still have the stock LS tires?

DUMP them!

They are great tires, if it is summer, and the road is clear, and it isnt wet. Otherwise, those tires will spin.

I'd have to look again to see the exact tires the local shop dropped on the front (only replaced 2) but with their price, alignment, and such, it was close to 800 just for them.

Then again, tires are one of the parts of the car that I can't comprehend going cheap on.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
No i have some summer tires on there on my list of mods. There ok just not the best in snow

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I agree, I saw people stare with disbelife as I drove up hills that had ice and snow on them while I watched as they tried to shovel there way out of driveways and saw my little koup plowing its way with very little trouble.

It was priceless ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Your winter tires definitely were a factor in those conditions; but in general people don't know how to drive, especially when it gets slick.

People are more likely to gun it and try and melt the snow/their tires than ease into acceleration and slowly trot through the slick stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ended up literally driving around 4x4s, cars that cost 2-4x as much as the Koup, and Jeeps, who were stuck, abandoned, or spinning 4 tires like they were trying to break 100mph at a standstill.

How does a car, that is FWD, with traction control OFF, drive AROUND Jeeps in 4x4 mode (assuming 4h) that are stuck?
If this story is true, it's obviously the driver and not the car. There is quite simply no way to argue that the stock Koup handles the snow better than Jeeps and other 4x4 SUVs. It's just not and there's no objective way to argue that it is.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Yeah I would have to agree. Its the driver, not the car. With that being said, my koup didn't handle to bad in the snow and ice that we got. I was able to drive safely at 20 mph and stop efficiently. Ive never driven in snow so it was the first time

·
Registered
8 Posts
Traction control is not designed for snowy or icy conditions. You'll find that it is much better to turn it off when trying to start on any slipperry surface.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My Koup handles very well in the snow providing the traction control is turned off.
I have gotten it stuck once in about 8 inches of snow in my 300 ft long driveway.
I find the AT to be a little annoying as I can't shift from D to R to D to rock the car, even when the car is idleing it takes a few seconds before the transmission switches to either D or R.
After that experience I got smart and bought a portable shovel and threw it in the trunk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts