Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm currently in the United States Army and I'm deploying for quite a while. Honestly one of the hardest parts about me leaving is having to leave my car behind. My Koup is the first car I've ever owned and I've had soo many great memories with it. This is my first time ever storing away a car and I want to do everything right so my Koup will survive my deployment!

Before I ask the question I'll start off by saying, the army will cover any storage costs so I'm leaning towards a climate controlled car storage unit.

So what steps should I do to prevent any corrosion or damage to my car?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Get the electronic corrosion management system, different dealers offer a different product, but as long as you are getting it from your dealer you are good to go. Also will need someone to start her up every other day.. Dunno how you are going to get around that..

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
1. Oil change
2. Stabil on 1/4 to 1/2 tank of gas
3. place carpets under tires where it is being stored to prevent flat spots when the tires deflate.
4. Disconnect battery

I have left vehicles for up to 4 years (when I lived in Michigan with same temps and conditions) without being compromised. When you start it up the first time, make sure you have some fresh gas to pour in the tank first. It will cough and sputter for the first two drives and blow blue smoke from the stabil, but it's always been fine for me after that. Freezing over seasons is ok as long as the first time you try to start it it's not bitter cold. Sometimes you'll also need a new battery, there is no charging them if they just plain ol' go bad. Don't store the battery on concrete, it's supposed to drain the battery quicker.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Two years bro? .. have a lot of buddies who have served in all branches and subdivs but never heard of a 2 year tour!..

Either ways.. here are some quick tips.. assuming two years that is what i call DEEP storage

Vehicle Tips: (assuming your car is new -> if not then youve got some oil/cooling system tasks)
1. Fuel additive is necessary to be added or your fuel in the tank and lines will dry out and get gummy!
2. wash+wax then a tight car cover! cover your exhaust tips plastic bag + rubber bands
3. place the car ontop a plastic sheet to avoid vapors that cause corrosion (assuming gravel)
4. Use jack stands so your tires dont get flat spots! - use multiple stands and use them at your suspension so that it is normal ride height.
5. Disconnect your battery and place it on a trickle charger (to avoid needing a new one)
6. Moth balls inside the car EVERYWHERE so you dont have nests when you come back!

Storage Tips:
1. If your getting storage try to find a place that has been in business for a very long time so they wont be packing up and leaving with "unclaimed property"
2. Has insurance for damage of your goods and allows you to store a vehicle in an area that is temp controlled (it is hard to find a place like that) (might want to contact some garages)
3. Try to find a friend or family to put as your primary contact so that if there were any issues you wouldnt have to worry as they would have a key and its also not like the 16yo clerk taking it for a joy ride. -> no matter what you do if it is a storage facility dont tell them that you are leaving the country
4. tell your insurance company you're storing it during deployment .. rates shoudl be dirt cheap.

be safe bro!.. be all you can be

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,851 Posts
I'm going to play "devil's advocate" on this one OP...If you are able to, sell it! I realize you may have an attachment to the car OR you may even lose some money on it (depending on how much you owe or can sell it for). The issues of storing a car, the fact that you will lose 2 years of the 5-year warranty, AND you are most likely still going to be making payments on a car you can't use are strong enough to make me recommend you sell it.

Being deployed you should then be able to save some serious dough...and when you get back if you want to still get another Koup you'll be able to -- and have the full 5 year basic warranty!

...anyway, my two cents on the subject...

·
Registered
144 Posts
In addition to mentioned,
- Zest soap bars repel mice
- if you were to use jack stands, support the frame to avoid the stationary sag, and lightly support the wheel with wood.
Those are tips I got from an elder guy who owns a collector's barn.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
hey dude...just curious why you need to store it for two years, as it takes the approval of a COCOM commander (4 star general) to have people stay longer than 365 days. I'm also in the army, deployed right now for the 2nd time. First time was 15 months, out of ft. hood texas, and they offered storage for everyone. it's free and it's fine. I parked my car there for 15 months, came back and hopped in and drove it off. The only thing that was done to it was a fuel preservative and the battery was disconnected. what's crazy is that my car (which was a brand new jetta) was just parked in the middle of, for lack of a better term, a parking lot. nothing was wrong with it. friends of mine parked there too and none of us had any trouble. the only people who had issues were the ones who parked it in a climate controlled storage facility.

this deployment i just left it at my parents house and have them drive it once a week or so. anyway, just wanted to let you know what my experience with deployments have been...but if you really are gone for 2 years, i would also recommend selling it...Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I would be interested in you expanding upon this.
honestly, i'm not sure what the deal is with that. the only thing i know is these guys paid to have a climate controlled storage unit and somebody start their car once a month. after deployment, these guys (two of them) went to pick up their cars, started them up and something happened that friend their electrical system. i think their wiring harness fried. don't have any idea why, but it happened to at least two people.

·
Registered
769 Posts
honestly, i'm not sure what the deal is with that. the only thing i know is these guys paid to have a climate controlled storage unit and somebody start their car once a month. after deployment, these guys (two of them) went to pick up their cars, started them up and something happened that friend their electrical system. i think their wiring harness fried. don't have any idea why, but it happened to at least two people.
probably civics :D

·
Registered
769 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
i'll be back in mid feb....and i CANT WAIT. already got my HIDs in san antonio at a friends house, lookin to get my rims and tires here in the next month or so, and then i wanna get a spoiler and my windows tinted once i get back. VERY EXCITED

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would sell it if I was you (if its paid for), when you'll comeback there will be a nicer car that you'll like. If you haven't paid it in full then store it with your mom or pops, they will take good care for it, plus make sure you pay it in full so when you'll comeback you'll have an already paid for brand new car technically. Be safe and god bless you.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't want to be too specific due to OPSEC but my deployment is around a year and a half when I hit my MOB site. But I have PRE-MOB training before which adds a month, plus when I get back from deployment I have to be re-evaluated before I can enter society so that will add around 2-3 weeks. I'm averaging it to 2 years as a max. As for my orders, for some reason they haven't listed POVs for storage, only "household goods". But I'm going to sign my Koup up as a household good, which for some reason works.

I understand I could sell my Koup, I've only owned it for 4 months but I would rather keep it. When I'm deployed it will be one of my biggest motivating factors to come home. My Koup can't cheat on me LOL

Anyways my father is going to take care of my Koup when it's in storage, starting it up and ect. My dealer is also aware that I'm storing my Koup away for a while. I also got my Koup serviced and got some fresh oil in there. I even talked about possibly trading my Koup in for a 2013, but that's long way down the road haha. My Koup is about $10,000 out of $17,800 paid off, and I'll easily finish payments during deployment.

Anyways I really appreciate the advice and support! I wish I could take my Koup with me but there's no 50 cal mount LOL..

[please don't prove me wrong and mount a 50 on any Forte Koups or Sedans]

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm about to mount a 50cal to my grill as we speak.... crap... Spyhunter anyone?

·
Registered
769 Posts
@ Demoralizer, you already had them put in? sweetness! We definitely need to hang once you get back, be careful over there man, and thanks for all you do! God bless you man.

@ xXRockAweaRXx, glad you could get your car taken care of man, if you lived anywhere near me Id sure as hell help you out for what youre gettin ready to do for us! God bless you man, be careful out there. Also im sure our photoshop masters can pull off puttin a 50 on a Koup :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
Every year for the past 10 years I have stored a car over the winter months (at least 6 months typically, this last year it was for 9 months because I bought the Koup and was playing with it instead :) )

What I do is put a gas stabilizer in the tank and take the car for a twenty minute run to make sure the stabilized gas is right through the system and that the engine/oil/exhaust is fully up to operating temps. I also pump the tires up to the maximum pressure molded on the sidewall (typically 51 pounds). While the car is still hot I run it into the garage where it will be stored and park it. I NEVER START the car again until I take it out of storage. I then remove the battery and put it on the workbench in my garage. When the car has cooled down I put a car cover on it to keep off the dust. Thats all I do and have never had a problem.

I have a 'smart' battery charger that I hook up to the battery every month or two until it shows 'FUL' and then disconnect it. It has a 'float' mode that allows it to be left on, but the charger has a fan that runs constantly if I do this and I don't like the noise it makes. There is a brand of battery charger meant specifically for storage purposes called CTEK, the 3300 model is all you would need if you wanted to take this route. They are meant to be left on all the time and don't have fans.

Unless the car can be driven for twenty minutes or so I WOULD NOT recommend starting it at all as unless everything is up to operating temps you risk condensation in the crankcase and exhaust system. It takes a long time to get oil up to temp (long past the time the water is up to temp), and you have no doubt noticed the water vapor out of the exhaust when a car is first started.

The garage is attached to the house but is not heated. I don't know what I would do if I had to leave it outside though. I'd probably try to get it into my bedroom and sleep outside myself instead. :D

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Anyways I really appreciate the advice and support! I wish I could take my Koup with me but there's no 50 cal mount LOL..

[please don't prove me wrong and mount a 50 on any Forte Koups or Sedans]
My Next Mod, Roof Mounted 50 Cal. Works amazing with a sunroof, right? ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
am deployed too..as we speak...it sucks..ive been buing stuff for the car..u know i only paid 2 months :( ive been deployed 4 months got 8 to go...cant wait for my leave.

good luck

1 - 20 of 25 Posts