Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So the other day I started my 2.4L SX manual sedan in what would have been -15 degree weather. The car started fine no problem, but the windows were rather frosty and so I let the car idle for five minutes. After thsi five mintues, I put the car into reverse and kept the clutch depressed. I kept my foot on the clutch and gave the car another 45 seconds to a minute with the clutch depressed to warm up a little bit more. Strangely, the car started making a strange noise and the engine would rev to 1500 rpm and drop to 500, and rev again, over and over. As this revving was occuring, the whole car would shake and vibrate, almost as if the car was stalling. When I tried to take the car out of reverse, the shifter would not disengage and I was forced to release the clutch with the car in gear, obviously stalling. I could also smell burning oil after this. I was wondering if anyone knows what the problem could be? Maybe the transmission fluid was too cold and by keeping the clutch depressed I allowed it to freeze in place?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sorry to hear bout that happening. Burning oil and a burning clutch are very different smells. Burning clutch smell is more like rubber burning...or brake lining burning.

It sounds as though the clutch could have stuck or been partially engaged while in reverse, even with the clutch pedal depressed. That would explain the vibration and the drop in idle.

Hopefully you didn't so any damage, but in the future, I wouldn't leave it in gear while warming up in very cold conditions. If you want to warm up the shifter linkage and/or trans fluid, try moving it in and out of gears while warming it up at idle.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hydraulic clutch in your car, so a good possibility is that when you had your foot on the clutch, it actually was not disengaged 100% and some slight contact between the clutch and flywheel was happening. 45 seconds would have been plenty of time for the clutch plates to warm up and start smoking, so that is where I would lean.

Generally, it is ideal to reduce the amount of time your foot is pushing on the clutch pedal at idle. Either at a stop light or while warming up, this will increase wear on your release bearing, and can shorten the life of the clutch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I figured the clutch wasn't fully disengaged when I depressed the pedal all the way. Stupid mistake on my part I guess, I haven't been driving very long... and my knowledge of cars is marginal at best. I'll know better for next time :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts