Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's alread many threads about winter tires, but no one really talks about studded vs. Studdless

My options are as follows:

Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 (Studdless)
General Altimax Arctic (Studded)

Any other GREAT tires that are good for Snow/Slush and Under 600$. Not sacrificing quality for price.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know there's alread many threads about winter tires, but no one really talks about studded vs. Studdless

My options are as follows:

Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 (Studdless)
General Altimax Arctic (Studded)

Any other GREAT tires that are good for Snow/Slush and Under 600$. Not sacrificing quality for price.
Hancock makes awesome winter tires(both studded and studless), cant think of them off the top of my head, but they are priced well under $600(set of 4).

the question is are u gonna put them on your stock rim or get steelies or another rim??

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stock Rim, probably gonna order the tires online and have them mounted locally. I was thinking Tire Rack

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
If you will constantly be driving on compacted/icy snow, studded would be good. If your city salts the road, go with studless, because you will be driving on more wet pavement than ice. Pavement wears studs down really fast and it would be a waste of money.

·
Registered
98 Posts
the hankook icebear(studless) or winter i*pike(studded) are the tires i was thinking of.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Stock Rim, probably gonna order the tires online and have them mounted locally. I was thinking Tire Rack
I know it adds cost up front, but...

I'm getting a set of smaller, narrower wheels for winter. The higher sidewall is better for the ride and the narrower (205) tread is better for cutting through the snow. A tire guy told me that too great a contact patch is actually bad.

The nice thing is that you have two sets of wheels that are interchangeable with relative ease. Re-mounting tires could become a serious drag after awhile.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would add positive feedback for Hankook iPikes studded for that price area ($600).

Look around Kijiji or Craiglist too. I lucked out and got a set of Toyo Garrit KX (studless) for $400 (retail at $1050). They still had the nipples on them since they were only used from Jan-Mar last year with 1200kms.
I went from my 215/45/17 SX wheels to 205/55/16 Kia steelies too.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up getting the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70. Got them from tire rack, it ended up being 584.00 including shipping. I received them on wednesday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts