Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi i have been using these forums to find all the information possible to wire up my amp n sub combo and i started by figureing out i needed an loc i wired it up threw the rear speaker wires under the door i guess you would call it the rocker pannel it was a blue n red twisted wire on the one side and a orange and blue on the other i used wire taps to get into the signal and ran the speaker wire to the trunk i ran the power cable without a problem threw the drivers side all i had to do was remove 2 bolts and a rubber piece now and im not sure if this was the correct spot for the remote wire for the amp but i ran it to the back of my cigarette lighter well the right one and the schematics says its a charger i also just used a wire tap n ran it to my amp there was a black and orange wire comming from both of my cigarette lighters / chargers i tapped into the right orange wire i hope this was the right one not 100% sure but i figured orange would be the hot wire i couldnt find the best ground position and tryed hooking it up to an existing bolt and just sanded down some of the metal the amp would still not turn on so i have my suspicions i need a better ground connection this sub was removed from my 240sx about 3 months ago and it worked fine in that car so i dobt its broken the fuse on the power cord looks fine its a glass one i removed it and gave it my bes visual inspection n put it back in i am now going to jusr try n sand out a spot on the trunk floor and just screw a screw right into it and feedback will help i need to know if i tapped into the right wire for the remote like if the orange over the black wire was the right one to tap into and weather or not how solid of a contact point the ground cable needs to be hooked up to and btw the power light on my amp has never turned on meaning one of the three wires POWER GROUND or REMOTE wires arnt connected properly thanks in advanced i really need some help my Kia Forte is a SX-R 2010

·
Registered
444 Posts
Did you check the fuse on the amp? Mine has three 40A fuses in a fuse block right next to the power terminals.
Rather than grounding to the body, it would give you a better connection to ground to the frame. I grounded through the rear seat bolt on the drivers side (they attach directly to the frame of the car.) and only had to sand a little paint away. I doubt that grounding is the problem though.
The Remote line may be your problem. Maybe consider actually splicing rather than wire taps. In car audio, the better the connection, the better it works(same goes for the speaker wire connections). If that doesn't do it, tape up the orange one so its protected and try the black one. It is also possible that in tapping the orange wire you may have blown the fuse for the cigarette lighter. check that one too!
If you don't mind my asking, what city do you live in? Maybe a forum member could meet up with you and help out.
I hope that one of these solutions works for you. Best of luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey ya my amp has no visible fuses on the back of it its a small Rockford and the fuse to the cigarette light is definitely not blown as it still powers on my gps when i test it im all the way out in alberta lethbridge doubt anyone is close enough to help thanks for your input i will have to try n splice into the orange wire as i really just want to get it to power on before i worry about the sound quality and one more question should i be able to get sparks from my power wire that runs from the battery just from touching it to bare metal because it isnt but when i first had it all hooked up and was just setting the ground wire it sparked a bit do you think maybe that spark could have blown the 60 amp glass fuse just past my battery ? it definitely dosnt look blown but i cant get sparks from anywhere now

·
Registered
444 Posts
That sounds like the glass fuse is blown. Connect to the amp before you replace the fuse. Keeps the sparks away from the expensive equipment.
I live up in Calgary but I may be coming down to lethbridge in a week or two. I'll PM you when I'm coming down and if you are still having troubles I could try and give you a hand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya dude that would be killer if you were coming out this way haha wish i had a volt meter it would really make trouble shooting the problem easier if i fix the problem i will post for sure what the issue was think i might be able to use a volt meter at my work if they even allow me that is

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
ya dude that would be killer if you were coming out this way haha wish i had a volt meter it would really make trouble shooting the problem easier if i fix the problem i will post for sure what the issue was think i might be able to use a volt meter at my work if they even allow me that is
Generally if you shorted out the circuit, the fuse is likely blown.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ok so i figured out my problem i went n picked up a multi meter from canadian tire to test the connections and i found that it was the remote wire so deuce koup you were spot on about the wire taps not doing the trick i had all the right wires they just wernt connected properly i changed them all to wire butts and it worked so as far as the lighter hook up it was the orange wire as i suspected and its really easy to get to just follow the steps on this posthttp://www.forteforums.com/forums/do-yourself-articles/2283-how-delrin-shifter-shifter-base-bushings.html to pull the center console back and i spliced my speaker wires just under where the door sits its an easy clip on clip off n you can run the wires including your power cable right under the panel the speaker wires are colored red and blue and orange and blue for the rear speakers. to run the power cable threw the fire wall on the drivers side there a spot its blocked by a small steel plate on the inside if you look above the peddles you can see a little rubber nipple poking out with two screw ends next to it when you go under your hood unscrew the bolts (10mm socket) then pull off the little plate and there ya go just make sure to splice your wires well thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
444 Posts
No problem man. Glad to hear you got it working! Thanks for the tip on accessing the wiring from behind. I will have to do that when the weather gets better. I think it's awesome you found that little hole with the cover. When I wired mine up I wasn't sure how to go about getting through the firewall, but my buddy pointed that out and we ended up removing the little plate, drilling through it and putting the wire through both the plate and the rubber seal so its still sealed but the wire isn't going to move around and chafe the jacket. Its starting to look like it may be a couple more weeks before I come down to Lethbridge, not really sure though. But when I do I would really like to meet up and take a look at your car if you have some time. I just like to see what others have done with it!

Enjoy the system! I know I do.

Cheers,
Deuce

·
Registered
1 Posts
deuce-koup, since u live in calgary i was wondering if you had any audio installations done to your car.
I am looking to add 2 subs and an amp to my forte koup sx, I been reading all the forums related to this, but it would help to have an idea if i could see someone that has already done it, and also it would be much better to know where u got the job done, since im fairly new in this town and dont know much about car audio shops

·
Registered
444 Posts
arpv10, I sent you a message. I don't know if you got it or not. I'd be glad to help you out. Check your messages and let me know when you are free.

Deuce

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hooked up an loc2 I got from best buy. All wires are hooked up properly. But I havnt a clue what to hook my remote wire to. There's no wire for it on the loc, I've tried the acc power wire but it only works when in acc not when car is on. I've tried several other wires and still can't figure it out please someone let me know. I ave a 2010 ex factory radio.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts