Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's the problem: On long trips my subs will start cutting in and out. It will start with just for maybe 10 seconds every few songs, then it will start doing it every song, then eventually multiple times every song.

Here are my possible causes:

1) I drive like an asshole and the amp isn't screwed down anywhere so it just floats around on top of my box, so maybe it's pulling a little bit on one of the wires connected into it?

2) I live in North Carolina. It gets around 100 degrees on a normal day, just about every day, and my amp is in my trunk and when I stop to look at it to see what the problem is, when i touch the amp I could easily burn my fingers if I touch it for too long.

I have a good feeling that it's more twords the 2nd one. If I buy some small wood screws just to secure my amp down to my box would that effect my sound quality by having extra holes in my box? If it is the overheating issue, how would I go about trying to cool down the amp?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would say those are both REALLLY big contributing factors. amp could def pull wires if you take a turn to sharp for instance. Anyway i guarantee you could find a little intercooler fan type thing to set under your amp. (you could even try using a laptop intercooler?? Just a thought) You'll probably want to secure it in place as well. Hope it doesn't involve wires, a loose wire would be annoying to find! :/ Good luck!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm really leaning twords the fact that it's overheating because it really only happens on drives that take more then an hour.

Would it help if I turn down the volume as well, because I crank it when it's just me on a long drive, so maybe that is a contributing factor as well?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well it might, i mean how much juice is your amp sucking? Thats a big factor too. Could you also have a faulty amp? I mean i couldn't imagine the trunk being scorching hot.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's a kenwood KAC-6202 amp. It's rated at "400W" but it really only pushes out maybe 60/channel. It's not that it's not getting enough power either because I have it wired into an amp kit that's rated for a 1600W amp.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Here is my suggestion, mount it to the box using some wood screws, it will not affect you sound at all.

sound like to me the amp is overheating, turning it down may help. ( it will not work as hard)

When it cuts out check the lights on the amp, there is usually a protection lamp and a overheat lamp. I think on the kenwood amps the little triangle part of the logo will light if there is a fault...

I laptop cooler maybe a good idea to look at. or maybe just a little more airflow around the amp if it is stuffed under something...

Good Luck BW

·
Registered
204 Posts
Somthing might be grounding, Something could be loose.. Amp could be getting to hot! if possible try switchin out amps and see if it happens again. My amp is drilled to the back of my Subs. Check to see if you speaker wires arent touching...

·
Registered
318 Posts
screw the amp down and make sure the wires and rca's are tightly on the amp it sounds like the rca wires could be bad if the amp is going all of the place in the trunk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts