Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rented a Forte 4doors a few weeks ago and it blew me away when at idle, I felt no vibration whatsoever and of course it was so quiet that I couldn't tell whether the engine was on, and it had 22K on the odo! Once going, it sounded more like a compact but still well behaved and tight.

WHAT'S KIA SECRET?

If KIA made a better looking car, low hang, a roaster-like, I would have seriously considered buying one even though I'm a Japanese man for-life.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Gee don't like the looks, to me it's one of the best looking cars to come out for a while. It's a pity the Japanese car companies don't employ some outside designers then we wouldn't end up with cars like the Corolla,it looks like a fridge on wheels

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Gee don't like the looks, to me it's one of the best looking cars to come out for a while. It's a pity the Japanese car companies don't employ some outside designers then we wouldn't end up with cars like the Corolla,it looks like a fridge on wheels

LOL Fridge on wheels..:D
I'd agree

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ur right, the KIA looks nicer than a Corolla. But in general, all new cars today have that "muscular" look I don't care for.

But my original question remains... Is KIA using a special engine? have they successfully controlled noise at low cost? Do they use some special teflon that will break down after 50K and will show its true self then?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
All I know is that a lot of companys went in together on this motor, I think dodge had there hands in this motor for awhile too, the Theta motor I mean.. I think dodge sold there rights to it thou.

Can't say for sure about how it's going too sound 50,000 miles from now thou I'd think it won't change to much with good up keep

·
Registered
973 Posts
All I know is that a lot of companys went in together on this motor, I think dodge had there hands in this motor for awhile too, the Theta motor I mean.. I think dodge sold there rights to it thou.

Can't say for sure about how it's going too sound 50,000 miles from now thou I'd think it won't change to much with good up keep
from what I've heard the block is completely hyundai designed
yes, dodge used it and mitsu still uses it (2.4 in lancers and 2.0 in the evo(block only)) but I'm pretty sure its hyundai base with whatever the manufactureres wanted for their applications done for themselves only..
and I'd say some of the factors involved in the "quietness" are probably the cat, the cvvt (just like mazda rotary race engines used to completely cut fuel on decel, something like that is going on with our cvvt when the engine isnt under load), and the fact that the intake mani is up front, vs most cars which have all that air whooshing past sound at the back of the engine bay and the exhaust mani up front. the sound from the exhaust mani is probably dampened a good bit by that gigantic heat shield, also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts