Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, a few of you knew what was going on with suspension for me as I am trying to build the car to STF specs for auto-x. Here's some generic information to help everyone:

Veloster and the Forte share the same suspension. Same upper mounts, same spring sizes etc. Reason I mention his is that the Veloster shocks have an offset lower mounting hole to allow full compression of the spring without blowing out the shock. They are also available in differnet spring rates than the 2 forte kits available.

The V and F also share their suspension with the MD Elantra (2011-up) with one caveat.... the upper mount is turned 90*. So while MD kits physically bolt in, their upper mounts are turned so that camber adjustment now becomes some serious caster adjustment.

Now, the coilover kit I have coming I've been waiting on since late March. K-sport has STILL not manufactured the upper mounts that fit the Forte/Veloster and are waiting to get an order of 40 or more before doing so. So I've waited most of the summer for a kit that may or may not ever show up. Good news is, they have them ready to go for the Elantra with teh 10k front and 12k rear springs with shock valving to compensate the higher rates.

So, I just got off the phone from ordering Megan upper plates to go on my soon to be coming K-sports making this a truly hybrid setup.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes/no. The off the shelf is the same, custom ordered are not (different weight bias). But the upper plates fuck it all up. What's worse (IMO) is that K-sport has put the time into develping the Elantra coilover kits and producing them, but ignored the Veloster/Forte crowd. Seems 100% backwards to me.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
is a little weird. someone at k-sport must own an elantra lol. So are you just taking the megan plate and directly replacing the k-sport one?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is a little weird. someone at k-sport must own an elantra lol. So are you just taking the megan plate and directly replacing the k-sport one?
Correct. Then I'll sell the Elantra top plates and get some of my money back.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if the veloster lateral rods will fit our cars then. I know they used to be available for the Forte but I can't seem to find them anymore. Opinions?

importshark.com
There's no reason why it shouldn't. The minimal differences in track width will be take up by the rod ends.

What is that supposed to do?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
There's no reason why it shouldn't. The minimal differences in track width will be take up by the rod ends.

What is that supposed to do?
I guess mimic a true IRS set up. Im not entirely certain how much it will do with the torsion beam still in place anyway.

"NeoTech lateral rods greatly enhance suspension handling in the Veloster and Veloster Turbo by keeping the chassis more level than stock. This kit includes front & rear leveler assemblies and is especially useful when driving over uneven surfaces or extreme hard cornering."

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's basically a watt's link from the looks. In a true solid axle setup (like the mustangs/camaros) you get axle bind. I'm not sure it would be all the beneficial with the torsion beam as it allows the wheels to move independently (twist motion) unlike a true live axle.

IMO, seems like a bit of a waste in this particular application, but I cant say because I've not tried them.

The bigger question is: Do VW people use these on their torsion beam cars?

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Bob, would you mind keeping an eye out next time your at the X? I'm curious about this as well. I see the theory, wondering about the practical application???

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
It's basically a watt's link from the looks. In a true solid axle setup (like the mustangs/camaros) you get axle bind. I'm not sure it would be all the beneficial with the torsion beam as it allows the wheels to move independently (twist motion) unlike a true live axle.

IMO, seems like a bit of a waste in this particular application, but I cant say because I've not tried them.

The bigger question is: Do VW people use these on their torsion beam cars?
Not sure about VWs but I know Honda's with IRS often add tie bars that act like torsion beams as well as this sort of linkage.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, those are the same as our under body braces. They tie the left to right lower suspension points together. I've worked on my share of hondars like that.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No. Not at all. Our TB is more like a live axle that twists. Imagine a "C" where the tips are the tires and the middle is the beam. The beam is then anchored to the body on each side to allow the up and down movement. As you hit a bump, each end twists in the opposite way to allow independant motion, while acting like a monster sway bar.

Honda's rear suspension that you're referring to is a multilink setup with a lower arm, upper arm and a trailing arm that are not connected in any shape or form to the other side other than the smallish sway bar. The bar you are seeing in those pics ties the inner bolt from the lower control arm (that goes into the body) to it's like member on the opposite side. None of that moves. Whereas our TB the entire beam is always in motion.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
This is the type of info I love to read about on the forum. Tons of good info and discussion! Thanks guys!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
No. Not at all. Our TB is more like a live axle that twists. Imagine a "C" where the tips are the tires and the middle is the beam. The beam is then anchored to the body on each side to allow the up and down movement. As you hit a bump, each end twists in the opposite way to allow independant motion, while acting like a monster sway bar.

Honda's rear suspension that you're referring to is a multilink setup with a lower arm, upper arm and a trailing arm that are not connected in any shape or form to the other side other than the smallish sway bar. The bar you are seeing in those pics ties the inner bolt from the lower control arm (that goes into the body) to it's like member on the opposite side. None of that moves. Whereas our TB the entire beam is always in motion.
Awesome thanks for the info. I do know that some civics do have torsion beams, but I was referring to the ones with IRS. What are your opinions on torsion beams as a whole when it comes to tracking/autocross/handling?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I've never seen a North American Civic with a Torsion beam. Ever.

The watts or Z link will control lateral movement. The Elantra and veloster off set the shocks to one avoid shock blow out but also to try control movement of the torsion beam.

If you look a truck with a live axle you'll see they usually mount one shock in front and one behind the axle. This is to help prevent with side to side and twisting motion.

In our cars twisting of the torsion beam isn't much of an issue. It's the side to side movement that's for the most part uncontrolled. It's why you get a rear end jitter when you over rough pavement. The watts link will limit how much side to side movement you get. It will help smooth out the jitter on rough pavement as well as help with controlling sway and yaw on a hard cornering exercise.

Putting on stiffer torsion beam bushings will also help. At the expense of harshness and stressing the mounting points

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update this morning. Suspension (with the wrong tophats) is shipping out today. With any luck I'll see it this week still. Tophats from Megan are still 3 weeks out.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts