Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Posted this somewhere else on the forum, thought it should be here instead...

Hey everyone,

Just had the Eibach springs (part #4617.140) installed on my Bright Silver Koup SX, along with Ultra Racing ( Forte/Koupe 2009 | Ultra Racing Canada ) front upper tower strut bar, both the front lower 2-point and 4-point bars, the rear lower bar and the rear anti-sway bar. Also mounted the ASA AR-1s 18x7.5 w 215/40-18s BF-Goodrich Comp-TA KDW. (Would love to include pics but somehow my laptop has decided to refuse 'communicating' with my digital camera. Pics will follw as soon as I solve this minor (?) gitch. As an aside, I just don't understand how Bill Gates got so obscenely rich selling such crap... but I digress...NB LAPTOP PROBLEM SOLVED, PICS UPLOADED). Also installed the Shark Racing lip spoiler and the Visual Garage shark-fin antenna.

The Eibach kit drops the car 1.2" front and 1.0" rear; I would have prefered the H&R's 1.5" front/1.2" rear but I just couldn't wait till the middle of June for the H&R springs to become available up here in Canada. The very small visual difference between Eibach's and H&R's would only be noticable if two cars equiped with one of each would be sitting next to each other.

Visually, the result is absolutely stunning! I've had the car for almost two months now and had been getting a lot of compliments on how the car looks but now it is downright embarassing... heads snap wherever I go, young kids in dressed-up Civic SI's chase me down to get a better look at the car and whenever I park just in front of the door of whatever boutique/shop/business I need to go to, guys young and not so young come out to check out the car. A common comment here in Montréal is "yé beau en crisse!!" (I'll let the Yanks figure out what that means...:)) I also have an '07 BMW 335i coupe with Beyern Mesh 19" wheels which I happen to think looks very nice and that car has never, never gotten this much attention.

Now for the important part: namely how it drives.

The stock 'sport suspension' set-up is fine for 5/10ths cornering; mild understeer and 'reasonably' responsive steering. The absence of rear anti-sway bar is mildly noticeable on quick left-right transitions; you notice the rear tires hooking up just a heartbeat after the front which requires a small steering correction to maintain the line. When you push harder, the front/rear disconnect gets much more pronounced, to the point that it almost feels like the rear is going to transition to oversteer but it never gets there because the fronts have nearly given up and you need a large increase in steering input to counteract the severe understeer once the chassis settles down.

Now, the car is very tight.

I tested the suspension upgrades one at a time, starting with the frame braces, then the springs, then the rear sway-bar and finally the 18' wheels'n tires.

The frame braces speed-up steering response noticeably and actually makes the car feel better built thru bumps (less chassis flex=less noise transmitted inside when hitting bumps).

The springs firm things up very nicely without being harsh, greatly reduce squat/dive and substantially reduce the front/rear disconnect. I suspect that the springs without the frame bracing would result in an increase in impact harshness though I don't think it would be objectionable if your primary goal is improved handling. If you just want the car to look cool :cool: cruising the Taco Bell lot, then, yeah, you'll probably think it's a little hard...:p

The rear anti-sway bar completely takes care of the front/rear disconnect and allow the front tires to get much more traction during cornering, specially under acceleration.

Finally, the 215/40 18inchers raise traction to a whole new level. The car hangs on so much better before understeer reappears but then, you're at 8.5/10 with an ear-to-ear grin on your face...:D

4-wheel alignement was required; they installed camber bolts up front to bring it back within specs and I had them adjust the toe-in to the maximum positive value within the OEM specified range for that little bit of extra quickness to bite on initial turn-in :) NB: Don't consider not getting the car's alignment checked after any suspension work; it'll eat up your front tires in no time...:mad:

The feeling is, it's a completely different car!

Remembering that the stock 'sport' suspension front anti-sway bar was designed and calibrated without a rear anti-sway bar, the addition of an aftermarket rear bar does shift the chassis's total roll stiffness towards the rear somewhat; I'm hoping someone will soon develop and bring to market a stiffer front bar wich will make the car as neutral and balanced as a front-driver can be. Before the 335i, I drove a full kit '03 John Cooper Works Mini S; on dry, public roads, it was nearly impossible to make the car understeer and it was actually easy to set up oversteer when cornering which is quite rare for FWD cars.

Like I said, pictures as soon as I can.

Eibach Springs $395 tx incl.

Ultra Racing frame braces and anti-sway bar $917 shipping+tx incl

Installation : 3 hours frame braces, 3 hours spring swap, 1 hour painting brake calipers high gloss black $590 tx incl

ASA AR-1 18x7.5 w BF-Goodrich Comp-TA KDW 215/40-18 $1,870 shipping, tx+import duties incl at Tirerack.com

Alignement 2.9 hrs at the Kia dealership $380 (I know, it sounds like I got gouged but the car was on the machine 3 times + camber bolts were $41 each, 2 req'd)

Total cost $4,152 CDN

IF you value good handling and you drove this car, you'd definitely say it was worth it...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
nice would love to see pics i was thinking of messing with the suspension later down the road i hit 120 with 3 people in the car heavy weights in the back and at 120 my back tire was making a humming sound so maybe its not a good idea to get a lowered suspension rite now

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Can't wait to see the pictures. Thinking about lowereing my sx sedan as there is just a tad too much space in the wheel wheels for my liking. Think it will really help the overall appearance.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Can't wait to see the pictures. Thinking about lowereing my sx sedan as there is just a tad too much space in the wheel wheels for my liking. Think it will really help the overall appearance.
yea just dont have heavy weights in your car going about 125 on a straight away lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
sounds like what i want to do with my koup but thankfully i wont have to pay all that labor and full price on alot of them parts . what camber bolt kit did they use ? hopefully it was the spc kit . 67 beast where at in wilkesbare do you live i have a good freind that works at the kensington jack williams tire

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey soupKoup: about the camber bolts: have no idea what bolt kit they used. The alignment was done at the Kia dealer but I would assume that camber bolts are not part of the Kia parts list so... sorry can't help you here. Pics loaded, check out the edited post up above.

Cheers,

·
Registered
973 Posts
WOW looks great
as soon as i find a new source of employment, i'm planning on finishing whats on the list for my sedan: lowered (probably with the eibachs, maybe lower though; would love the sma coilovers but there very expensive, all the strut and sway bars, 18's and slightly wider tires. I was thinking 215 just like you did.)

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
holy crap! this is exactly what i was wanting to do with my car. now i know a rough estimate of how much its going to cost. hopefully a little less because my wheels and tires is going to be about 500 less. i also noticed that the Eibach springs on the web were 249. is the 395 with tax and shipping? on the site i saw, it said the shippin was $25. anyways, the car looks amazing and those wheels really work on the car! next step is getting dual twin exhaust on the left side :) at least thats what i want ;) cant waitt for more pics

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hey Aidensgrand:

all prices quoted in the list at the end of my post are in Canadian $$ (which is darn close to par with US$$ these days...:)) , tx and shipping included. I believe the $249 you quote is list, US$$ before tx+shipping.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Hey Aidensgrand:

all prices quoted in the list at the end of my post are in Canadian $$ (which is darn close to par with US$$ these days...:)) , tx and shipping included. I believe the $249 you quote is list, US$$ before tx+shipping.

Cheers,

Oh ok. well the car looks good and now i can see what mine may look like down the road. still saving for my wheels and tires but it'll all come in time haha

·
Registered
746 Posts
the $395 quoted for Eibachs through the dealer. So perhaps their using the Eibach camber bolts.

Fortes do have a rear swaybar or rear anti-rollbar. Its 19mm (front & rear).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
the $395 quoted for Eibachs through the dealer. So perhaps their using the Eibach camber bolts.

Fortes do have a rear swaybar or rear anti-rollbar. Its 19mm (front & rear).
Humm... Wonder why they didn't design the Koup with the rear anti-roll bar...??

End result of installing the Ultra Racing 19mm bar: outstanding!

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
sounds like what i want to do with my koup but thankfully i wont have to pay all that labor and full price on alot of them parts . what camber bolt kit did they use ? hopefully it was the spc kit . 67 beast where at in wilkesbare do you live i have a good freind that works at the kensington jack williams tire

I'm actually outside of Wilkes-Barre in a town called Nanticoke. A little shit hole. Lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
it probley was a spc part or a ingals alignment cam you shouldnt have payed no more then $20 a piece for them . i put the spc ones in cars almost every day and they work very well plus you got adjustment for the life of the car .

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
1 - 20 of 82 Posts