Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the most earth shaking problem, but an annoyance none the less. I have a Koup SX but the sedan SX may apply here as well.

The foam tray that holds the jack doesn't fit properly into the spare wheel on my car. It seems it won't go into it far enough, or even fit into it. Whichever side you slide in, the other side pops up. Hence, the trunk mat doesn't lay flat over it.

My first thought was I had the wrong size spare wheel for an SX. Maybe only a 15", but no - the spare is a T185/80 D16.

Anyone else have this problem? If not and you feel willing to help have a look at your jack tray and check out the part number on the bottom of it.

My tray, on the top, has a white sticker with a black 'S' on it about 1" tall.

On the bottom it has, molded in, the part number 'KIA 09149-1M600'

Thanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I noticed that right away after getting my Koup SX. I fooled around with it and it sits across the spare while sticking up a bit, and the circular molding in the trunk carpet seems to catch hide some of the height. And it looks to me like I'd rather have a firmer over-sized piece filling the hole in the spare to prevent any sagging from a large/heavy object that may be put in the trunk.

I don't know my part numbers, but I can check.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Since it is just hard styrofoam, couldn't you just sand down the edges so it sits flush into the wheel? I have an SX, but don't have that problem. I can check for a part # when I get home.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,891 Posts
Mine fits perfectly...razor blades and "strategic" cutting do wonders...LoL!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since it is just hard styrofoam, couldn't you just sand down the edges so it sits flush into the wheel? I have an SX, but don't have that problem. I can check for a part # when I get home.
Thanks for your response.

It isn't hard styrofoam. While it looks like it, it is a somewhat more 'rubbery' type of stuff. I don't think it would sand well, but it probably could be cut.

Since you have an SX and yours fits, I would appreciate knowing your part number. Your car is probably older than mine - mine was made in Dec. 2009.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine fits perfectly...razor blades and "strategic" cutting do wonders...LoL!
Ah so! Yours didn't fit either, eh! (<-- oh, oh! Canadian give-away...)

I had originally thought it was just regular styrofoam, so I though I would just put a board on it and hammer it a few times to beat it into submission, but it is too rubbery for that. A razor knife and cutting I suppose might work.

·
Registered
202 Posts
hey have the same thing going on here with my sx, I played with it for a while, a bit of force here and there but it still sticking out a bit, you really can't notice it but still, I did thought about sanding it out but it's soppost to be perfect hhmmm....

·
Registered
696 Posts
Just checked... My part number on the back is the same as listed except it has a "-2" on the very end. Maybe this helps?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine's the same part #; just used brute force'n made it fit... ;-) incidentally, that secures it in there quite well...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
It's not just the SX it is an issue on the EX also. Very first thing I noticed before I drove off the lot. Salesman just shrugged his shoulders, lol.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK. Thanks for all the responses!

I had originally thought when posting that it would turn out that I had a unique problem and I would end up with the correct part number. I would then go back to the dealer, snivel appropriately, and ask for it to be replaced.

I guess plan B is called for. I shall look through my arsenal of implements of destruction and modify the offending piece with extreme predjudice.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,891 Posts
OK. Thanks for all the responses!

I had originally thought when posting that it would turn out that I had a unique problem and I would end up with the correct part number. I would then go back to the dealer, snivel appropriately, and ask for it to be replaced.

I guess plan B is called for. I shall look through my arsenal of implements of destruction and modify the offending piece with extreme predjudice.

Eloquently put...LoL!!! Owner's desire overcomes manufacturer's production oversight...:)...or should that be undersight...:eek:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Update: Just went with ******'s 'brute force' (and ignorance? :)) solution. It fought me for a bit but ultimately it succumbed to my ministrations and fit into place. Trunk mat fits fine now and is well supported. So, if yours is still sticking up and rocking around you're just not pushing hard enough.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
any issue pulling it up to access the spare now without tearing the carpet?
Not sure I understand your question, MFury. The problem was with the round foam block that holds the jack not fitting into the spare wheel properly. Because it stuck up too far the trunk carpet didn't lay smooth and level over top of it. A bit of force on the block made it fit down into the spare tire properly, allowing the trunk carpet to lay over the top smooth and level. There is nothing gripping the carpet - it just lays there on top.

When I say smooth, I don't mean the raised circular pattern on the carpet is gone. That's molded into the carpet.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Sorry was thinking of my previous car which had the carpet attached to the foam piece that sat on the spare. I guess I'll go out and apply some extra pressure to mine and see if I can get it to fit properly.

Do you have to force it back in place each time you remove it?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Do you have to force it back in place each time you remove it?
Probably, at least at first. Maybe after it's been in for awhile it will loosen up a bit. It doesn't really take that much pressure once you know what you are trying to achieve. It's more awkward than anything - you have to get one side down (easy), then manage to keep that side down while you press the opposite side down. It wants to rock back and forth - first one side in, then the other. Don't try to put it too far in - we're only talking about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have the same issue. it's bothersome especially becuase I have a subwoofer in the trunk.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Further update: About a week and a half ago I used a bit of force to make the foam block fit correctly. I just had it out today and can report that it now fits back in again with virtually no pressure needed. The four small protruding bumps that initially caused the problem have now flattened out enough to fit properly.

I'm guessing the reasons some fit properly as delivered and some do not depends on whether they were pressed into place on the assembly line or just set in loosely.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts