Kia Forte Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,853 Posts
Civic SI Coupe (starting at $22, 205 for basic package)

• 197-hp, 2.0-liter, DOHC i-VTEC® engine
  • Helical limited-slip differential
  • Close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission
  • 17-inch alloy wheels
  • CITY 21 / HWY 29
Forte Koup SX (starting at $ 17, 695)

- 173 hp, DOHC 2.4L I4 engine
- 6 Speed manual transmission
- 17" tires w/ alloy wheels
- City 22 / HWY 32

The Koup kills the Civic in looks and attention.
Koup SX 6-spd final gearing: 4.063:1 (1st and 2nd gear), 2.955:1 (3rd-6th gear) Very novel and good for MPG but not for acceleration!

Civic SI (depending on year): 4.11-4.77:1 ratios -- great for acceleration!

Imagine a Koup with 4.77:1 ratio in 1st and 2nd then 4.11:1 in 3rd - 6th. Would accelerate nicely...

For those that don't understand gear ratios...think of a ten-speed bike. Which gear is easier to get going with? Obviously 1st because it has the greatest numerical ratio -- same thing applies to cars! The higher the numerical ratio the easier it is to accelerate.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
one thing to do if you win, to piss people of, do right signal, then left, then right, and so on.
it kinda looks like

nananananana

like a little kid making fun of another kid :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
one thing to do if you win, to piss people of, do right signal, then left, then right, and so on.
it kinda looks like

nananananana

like a little kid making fun of another kid :D
Lol people in philly take that the wrong way, haha! It's half the joy racing them, then doing that and getting their philadelphian reaction. Makes my day :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
SI should beat stock forte, but SI has a CAI stock, VTEC, and all those compression thingies everyone else talked about. Forte is a beast with the CAI, and exhaust makes it still cheaper than SI, and faster.
Keep dreaming. A Forte will need much more than a CAI to beat a properly driven Civic SI.

Put both cars on a drag strip (or whatever race track for that matter) with 2 equally skilled drivers and the SI will come out on top every time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I ran an SI a while back. He had one of those ridiculously large glass packs and horsepower stickers all over. Looked like a wannabe fast and the furious car.

But the joker could not shift to save his life and I took his lunch money with an Auto Koup SX. I did wave to him at the next light tho :p

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
SI's had an issue of shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I believe it was 2006-2008. All I know is that 3rd gear had a lot of issues. I have 2 friends with Civic SI's, 2010 and one with the 2007 and my friends brother has the 2006 SI [LOL everyone has this car]. He told me how he hated his 3rd gear, so my friend test drove the 2007 SI and when he back from around the block he agreed that 3rd had something strange about it. I don't believe they recalled the SI's but it was and may still be a legitimate problem.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Just curious, I don't want to stray too far away from OP's topic but has anyone went up against the Lancer GT-S?

I was actually going to buy the rotor glow (orange) Lancer GT-S but after my first test drive with the Koup things kinda changed lol

·
Registered
316 Posts
my eventual goal is to run about 400hp then race a vette and win! then give him the 4 way flasher dance! lmao FYI: if youre gonna give someone the 4 way flashers after you beat them, be prepared to fight! it pisses people off to no extent but its funny as hell!
The only time you'll be putting your 4 way flashers on is when you get to a corner. 400HP in a FWD car....get real.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The only time you'll be putting your 4 way flashers on is when you get to a corner. 400HP in a FWD car....get real.

well turbokits claims 300 from there kit and possible 400 in the near future...

·
Registered
316 Posts
well turbokits claims 300 from there kit and possible 400 in the near future...
I'm not saying it's not possible...it totally is. It's just a death wish if you want to do anything other than go in a straight line. Myself i'd rather some upgrades that would beat a 'vette on a track rather than at the lights. I'd be curious to see if the AWD setup they have in the sportage can somehow be ported to our forte's. Or if Kia just did an AWD version with ~300HP stock. That would be one hell of a ride.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Koup SX 6-spd final gearing: 4.063:1 (1st and 2nd gear), 2.955:1 (3rd-6th gear) Very novel and good for MPG but not for acceleration!

Civic SI (depending on year): 4.11-4.77:1 ratios -- great for acceleration!

Imagine a Koup with 4.77:1 ratio in 1st and 2nd then 4.11:1 in 3rd - 6th. Would accelerate nicely...

For those that don't understand gear ratios...think of a ten-speed bike. Which gear is easier to get going with? Obviously 1st because it has the greatest numerical ratio -- same thing applies to cars! The higher the numerical ratio the easier it is to accelerate.

GEAR KIT!!!!!! Im somewhat of a novice and wouldnt even know where to look. Or if its possible, but it doesnt sound to far off. What do you think?
:confused:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I messed around with a civic si sedan from harrisburg pa up to state college. I kept up with him no problem, think I kind of surprised him. As for a coupe, I only ran with on from a stop, got him on the jump but after that I stuck right next to his rear fender.

For the naturally aspired small cars id put it si, koup, tc, and lancer.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,853 Posts
GEAR KIT!!!!!! Im somewhat of a novice and wouldnt even know where to look. Or if its possible, but it doesnt sound to far off. What do you think?
:confused:
These trannys are relatively new...so I doubt there are any gear kits available yet. I wish Kia would provide optional gearing so those that want the best potential acceleration could make that choice (pre-order, of course) -- knowing that MPG would suffer...or make a real Koup performance model and call it "type R", "SXR" or whatever they can come up with...

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
SI s will be the death of me, hahahaha.

There's a black si that i ran into4 times so far, and every time its from Uniontown, PA, to Greensburg, PA. We end up averaging 80 MPH, and peaking at 100. I never fell of his tail, but we never "raced". just played around a little

·
Registered
174 Posts
im a 4 speed auto. Could my shop figure it out if they opened it? I know the warranty will be gone but if you cant afford to fix it you shouldnt make it "better".

·
Registered
133 Posts
We need a nice kit to change our shift points to go along with that new TurboKits Turbo. We'll be feeding Si's gravel for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Also, anyone wanting to make there car "faster" suspension plays a good roll in your acceleration. Basically for FWD, Get a stiff suspension in the rear and softer in the front, this should eliminate wheel hop. This is good for straight line racing though, not cornering, you would need a really stiff suspension for taking G's in the corner.

The Koup SX in California has less power than what the KIA specs list. Thats because California is so polluted and our cars have to suffer with restrictive intakes that have 2 filters. I believe we are running almost 20hp less than the KIA website specs. Same goes for torque. If we throw on TK's kit, we'll be racing much more than SI's. We'll be taking on stangs, Mazda Speed3's, the new Ford ST, and so on. Si's will be least of our concerns :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
LOL. I love benchracing threads!!

Of course, the best way to find out for sure is to go out and find an Si, talk to the guy to see if he is stock or modified, and try to compare equal cars.

I haven't had a chance to line up with an Si yet, but once this white crap goes away in the spring I will let you know.

You can post the horsepower numbers, but you also need to factor in the weight, torque, and gear ratios if you want to figure out what is going to happen. Just because the Si has 197hp over the Koup's 173hp does NOT mean that the Si is going to win. The Si makes a bit more torque than my lawn mower at 139 ft-lbs, and needs to be well over 5,000rpm to make it. The Koup produces 168 ft-lbs and it comes on just over 3,000rpm. Off the line with good traction, the Koup should get a good head start.

The weight of the two cars is pretty much the same. The Si comes in around 2870, and my Koup without me in it was about 2875.

According to the specs I have found, an Si can run 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. I personally have done 7.65 in my Koup, and I know I can improve on that. The best 1/4 mile I have seen in a stock Si is 15.2, but the average is more like 15.4-15.5. I have done 15.65 in my Koup and again, I know I can improve on my base runs.

One tenth of a second is not a huge difference, that is absolutely a driver's race. Which means: Go find a Civic Si and line 'em up. You will likely take 'em off the line, and the Si will slowly catch up. The further and faster you go, the better the Civic will get.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.