Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up to check your oil everyone. Maybe ours is the only one with this concern. First my wifes Forte is the only one I have been able to find that is getting between 20.1 and 22.5 every tank of gas. Both manual calculation and on the digital. 70/30 city/hwy.

Yesterday I went out to wash and wax wifes car and when I got to the back the exhaust pipe was loaded with soot. 5K on the car and no scheduled maintenance till 7500. I decide to check oil (putting two and two together) and it is more than 1 quart low. F>>K.

Called service manager today, he agreed that there was plenty of reason to bring it in and he had a genuine tone of concern for our symptoms. He has not heard of a Forte getting that low of mileage (neither has anyone on this board). I will post up results of tomorrows appointment asap.

We have a fairly early build date of 4-09 so if anyone knows of any oil consumption concerns with our cars, especially early ones, let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
746 Posts
Shelton823 wrote:Yesterday I went out to wash and wax wifes car and when I got to the back the exhaust pipe was loaded with soot. 5K on the car and no scheduled maintenance till 7500. I decide to check oil (putting two and two together) and it is more than 1 quart low. F>>K.
I'm not quite sure how to measure 'loaded'. But most cars from any OE run rich, in turn most tailpipes have the 'soot' as you describe. These cars have stainless tip so you see it more easily. I'm curious though if the oil check was missed in PDI, as 5k on it down a quart. Unless, a bolt is loose and you have a very small leak. I''ll await youre post after the visit to kia service.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Whats your fuel trims? Also its still a new car and its breaking in the engine. keep an eye on your oil consumption. Most likely an injector sticking causing it run rich which is why your tailpipe is "sooty".

Let us know what you find, kind of hard to any diagnostics over a keyboard..:confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles. It definitely sounds like something is amiss there. I have a thousand miles on my new SX sedan. I'm averaging about 29 in mixed driving.

I did however have a water leak. It was actually coming from underneath the car where a seam was not sealed that should have been. The dealer fixed it and it seems fine now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why would you wait until 7500mi for you first maintenance when driving 70/30, mostly city. Not saying that it makes any difference for you being low a quart at 5000mi, but I dont think I will go past 5000mi.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NO real answers from service trip. However they checked it and found the level to be within the marks. I may have been on a slight incline but have never had a reading very far off with any of my cars parked in same place. I will recheck myself when we pick it up later today.

Did have to replace the IPOD interface. Static. And did two more recalls.

Was told by service dept that 1/2 quart low is acceptable level to lose between oil changes. Never heard that one on a new car. My 1994 Buick Roadmaster doesn't use a drop of oil. With the exception of the 7.3 diesel none of my cars use any oil. So I immediately decided never to talk to service counter at the dealer again.

Reason for 7500 interval is WIFES car bought by her for her and I am not to touch it. (Except for the Wax Job it just got) She has lifetime synthetic oil changes from the dealer so I wash my hands of the maintenance.

If she blows it up she can walk.

Thanks for the heads up on the soot. One of the techs has a sx also and he has the same soot. Just thought it was a bit much after seeing my buddies new TDI with almost none at the tailpipe. I just was concerned with the coctail of bad mpg, oil loss and soot that perhaps something was wrong. Still not happy with mpg regardless of the break in period. Everyone who owns one of these is in the break in period and we have by far the worst mileage on the forum.

Thanks for the input. If an injector was sticking and throwing some oil I would hope it would throw a code and we haven't had any.

Thanks all,

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have just over 7600 miles on my Forte SX and during the first 5000 (my recomended oil change interval) I lost approximately 3/4 of a quart of oil. I mentioned it to the service tech and they seemed to think all was fine and normal for a "break-in" period. I am sort of relying on KIA's 100,000 mile warranty should anything go wrong because of the advice of a service advisor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK so here is what may need to be its own thread. How much oil is your Forte Using?

Any one elso using oil?

Let us know.

·
Registered
59 Posts
"Was told by service dept that 1/2 quart low is acceptable level to lose between oil changes. Never heard that one on a new car. My 1994 Buick Roadmaster doesn't use a drop of oil. With the exception of the 7.3 diesel none of my cars use any oil. So I immediately decided never to talk to service counter at the dealer again."

maybe he thought you have a diesel??? that seems like a lot of oil, it is not "supposed" to do that. I'm at 600 miles and levels are fine.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
To me it appears that the rings on his engine are not sealing properly. It is normal for an engine to use oil if driven at high speed/RPM but not around town. My Koup's oil level is the same as when I bought it (700 miles on it now). My sedan SX's oil level barely changes and it has had its' first oil change already (3000 miles on it now -yes, I change it more frequently than required). As far as soot in the tail pipe -- this can also be due to additives in the gas you buy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I personally think that when you are told the vehicle "uses some oil during break in" by the service department is BS.

I've owned several brand new cars in my life (at least 10) and none with the exception of one of them used ZERO oil during break in--or later in their lives for that matter. The one that did burn oil from day one and mile one used the same amount (1/2 quart per 3000 miles) all the way to when it was sold at 113,000 miles. It never varied at all. (This was a Ford V10 gasoline engine).

As for my SX, the oil was dead on the "full" mark when I took delivery, and was still dead on "full" just before I changed the oil at 3500 miles. Zero break in consumption.

IMHO, you've got a significant problem with your engine if it is using oil and getting that bad of gas mileage---regardless of what they are telling you---modern engines are built to extremely exact tolerances in relation to the piston compression rings, oil control rings and valve seals, and oil consumption is VERY rare nowadays on brand new engines. I'd try a different dealer and contact the district KIA rep if it were mine--and be screaming about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Update: Wife took Forte SX to stealer for a SRS light. Also planning to get oil changed prior to xmax trip and also have valve stems checked because one wheel keeps going very low this was the case with both sets of tires that have been on these wheels. Just over 6k miles and I have had to put air in on at least 5 occasions. Gets down to around 26lbs before TPMS kicks on. Just had winter tires installed last week and she was told right as she was explaining the leaky wheel that "Kia might not cover the wheel leak since the winter tires were not installed by the dealer." First of all we all know that is crap and not legal. So that was issue #1. Next I ask my wife to confirm which type of synthetic oil they use because despite the lifetime oil changes my dealer only gives us 2 a year so I wanted to use the same synthetic when I have to change it myself. Issue #2. She is then informed that they do not use synthetic oil despite three different stealer personnel telling me they only use synthetic on the new Kia's/Forte. Issue #3.

Finally part had to be ordered for the SRS light...fine. They could not find any issue with the wheel/valve stem...not so fine. So I will be filling the right front tire every other day. I will be calling the service manager soon, anyone have any good zings I should use when discussing the customer service I have recieved so far. Also I do not have the owners manual with me what does Kia recommend for a.) oil type and weight and b.) oil change interval.

Thanks all,

·
Registered
283 Posts
first 7k 28-29 mpg,after changed oil and winter tires,and half hour more trafic ,more warming in the morning,now i am somewhere at 25mpg

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Update: Wife took Forte SX to stealer for a SRS light. Also planning to get oil changed prior to xmax trip and also have valve stems checked because one wheel keeps going very low this was the case with both sets of tires that have been on these wheels. Just over 6k miles and I have had to put air in on at least 5 occasions. Gets down to around 26lbs before TPMS kicks on. Just had winter tires installed last week and she was told right as she was explaining the leaky wheel that "Kia might not cover the wheel leak since the winter tires were not installed by the dealer." First of all we all know that is crap and not legal. So that was issue #1. Next I ask my wife to confirm which type of synthetic oil they use because despite the lifetime oil changes my dealer only gives us 2 a year so I wanted to use the same synthetic when I have to change it myself. Issue #2. She is then informed that they do not use synthetic oil despite three different stealer personnel telling me they only use synthetic on the new Kia's/Forte. Issue #3.

Finally part had to be ordered for the SRS light...fine. They could not find any issue with the wheel/valve stem...not so fine. So I will be filling the right front tire every other day. I will be calling the service manager soon, anyone have any good zings I should use when discussing the customer service I have recieved so far. Also I do not have the owners manual with me what does Kia recommend for a.) oil type and weight and b.) oil change interval.

Thanks all,

Your issue #1 is not Kia's responsibility -- it is the responsibility of whoever installed the winter tires. Unless the leak is somewhere else. Your dealer should at least look at them but if they find the tires are leaking where it meets the rim it is not their fault. Only if the leak is due to the rim or TPMS system are they responsible and even then this could have been caused by the installer of the winter tires.

Your issue # 2 -- who told you it would be synthetic -- do you have this in writing? Synthetic is not called for in either Forte engine.

5W-20 oil 5K (severe driving conditions) or 7.5K miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Same wheel leaked with factory tires. Filled it 4 times with OEM tires and once since winter tires installed last week. Not complaining about KIA just this dealership. Lied to our faces on at least two occasions now. We will see how many more to come.

I am looking forward to a long road trip for the first time though. We will see how it does on full tanks of highway miles. Should be pretty loaded down hopefully will get high 20's.

Happy Holidays everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
so how about i just stick with 10-30 or 10-40

·
Registered
30 Posts
Reason for 7500 interval is WIFES car bought by her for her and I am not to touch it. (Except for the Wax Job it just got) She has lifetime synthetic oil changes from the dealer so I wash my hands of the maintenance.

If she blows it up she can walk.
This made me laugh. I did my 1st oil change at 1235 miles. I'm gonna start doing them in 5k intervals now. Level was still full.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just filled my tank yesterday (first fill-up since I bought it) and I averaged 26 MPG for the first tank - combination of city/highway. I plan on using synthetic oil in mine as soon as the break-in period is done. I've used it throughout the years and found that I tend to get better gas mileage with synthetic, along with other reasons to use it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts