Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about yours, but my temp gauge heats up to about 1/8" short of the center mark then sits there. I was curious about what actual temp that was so I dug out my ScanGauge II and hooked it up.

Here's what I found. When you start up from cold the temp gauge begins to move at 120 degrees and gets as far as it's going to at 136 degrees. It then sits there unmoving as the car continues to heat up to normal running temp, about 190 degrees.

I wasn't about to force the car to overheat just to see what happened, but I assume at some higher temp it would move again, probably leaping quickly up into 'panic' range.

So when it is sitting there stationary you really don't have a clue what the actual temp is - it's just telling you to 'feel good' about it. Hey look, it's below center, no problemo - that must be good!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,171 Posts
Just feel good about it...as long as the "gauge" stays in the same place while you drive it means everything is OK with the engine -- that's all you need. Every car I've owned whether it had an actual gauge or display has done this. When you see the gauge change (show hotter) then something is wrong. Fact is the temp is always fluctuating -- why give yourself grief over when it gets hotter than usual in traffic just to know it's 10 -20 degrees hotter than usual -- when it's still normal?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts