Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got this an hour ago...will post pictures as I install the SXTH Intercooler on/in my 2021 Forte GT.

NOTE: When working around the steel bumper (after the front fascia is removed) there are lots of VERY sharp pieces of metal on the ends of the metal bumper. Be cautious!

SXTH IC.JPG

Side by side comparison:
IMG_0367.JPG

A little bigger inlet/outlet:
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0369.JPG

Close to the same depth:
IMG_0370.JPG

Definitely taller - two more rows:
IMG_0371.JPG

The opening where the intercooler goes: You'll have to remove the bumper brace/guard and the sensor in the middle of this picture.
CORRECTION: If you have GT2 you'll have to remove the bumper - Non-GT2 GTs will not have to remove it.
IMG_0372.JPG

I have discovered that the original 4 bolts that hold the factory intercooler in are too short for the SXTH intercooler - need 4 X M6 1.00 X 30MM, 4 X M6 washers, and 4 X M6 lock-washers! Also, If you have GT2 YOU HAVE TO REMOVE the bumper brace - no way around it (not enough space to install the SXTH intercooler with it on). It's held in by 8 12MM bolts and 2 10MM nuts - need to remove 4 plastic wire loom holders too - and three bolts holding the sensor in place.

Info: What I've been calling a "Factory BOV" I believe Kia calls a RCV - Recirculating Valve. The "BOV solenoid" is a RCV Solenoid

Lessons Learned Installing SXTH Intercooler on 2021 Forte GT | Kia Forte Forum (forteforums.com)

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
183 Posts
One request. Can you confirm fitment with the stock air box?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
And what is Stock VS 6th here? ;)

Reactions: lephoenix

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Mr Olszewski, I know what SXTH is, even from days when they were called 6th element, which is years ago.

I was asking the OP where is the comparison?
The title says: SXTH Intercooler Vs Factory Intercooler
While only aftermarket FMIC is shown here.

Reactions: lephoenix

·
Registered
334 Posts
Mr Olszewski, I know what SXTH is, even from days when they were called 6th element, which is years ago.

I was asking the OP where is the comparison?
The title says: SXTH Intercooler Vs Factory Intercooler
While only aftermarket FMIC is shown here.
Cool story. Since he just posted he got it last night i guess your question will have to wait to be answered till he gets the time to take pictures , install and does a comparison. Be patient. Lol. Nothing wrong setting up a post for it either.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool story. Since he just posted he got it last night i guess your question will have to wait to be answered till he gets the time to take pictures , install and does a comparison. Be patient. Lol. Nothing wrong setting up a post for it either.
Notice the corrosion in the original Intercooler outlet (first picture of the Outlet comparisons). Even the clamp holding the rubber tube to the outlet was rusted/corroded. I'm trying to figure out why...car has LESS then 800 miles on it and it is garaged.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks! intercooler is my next mod. I wasn't sure if it would fit. Im staying stock air filter.

HANG ON!!!!!! Having issues with the cold pipe install - waiting on help from SXTH at this time!

When I initially checked the fit I didn't have the BOV installed - I didn't realize that the factory BOV would be upside down. Now that I installed the factory BOV it doesn't seem to fit properly.

The intercooler is in and the hot pipe is attached.

PLEASE NOTE: On each side ( at the ends) of that metal bumper there are some VERY sharp pieces of metal! Razor sharp! Be cautious!

IMG_0374.JPG

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm waiting for SXTH to send me another cold pipe. The one they sent whoever welded the BOV plate on it welded it upside down...LOL! S--- happens! You can see the mistake in the first picture of the IC kit I posted in this thread.

From the SXTH website - I drew in bolt hole positions the cold pipe I got has:

cold pipe from SXTH website.jpg
cold pipe BOV orientation.jpg

Cant just turn the BOV over because the air hole won't seal.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:
Got an e-mail from SXTH Element that they were shipping me a new Cold Pipe with tracking number...checked tracking number...CANCELLED.
Then I got an e-mail from SXTH Element with a shipping label to mail them back my Cold Pipe for repair...then that was cancelled.
Then I got an email that their "lead engineer" said it will fit because the BOV orientation doesn't matter if I install their BOV.
Then I reminded them that I bought their IC kit to use the factory BOV.
Now I'm waiting. Car is sitting.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
183 Posts
Update:
Got an e-mail from SXTH Element that they were shipping me a new Cold Pipe with tracking number...checked tracking number...CANCELLED.
Then I got an e-mail from SXTH Element with a shipping label to mail them back my Cold Pipe for repair...then that was cancelled.
Then I got an email that their "lead engineer" said it will fit because the BOV orientation doesn't matter if I install their BOV.
Then I reminded them that I bought their IC kit to use the factory BOV.
Now I'm waiting. Car is sitting.
It just seems like they want see if they can sell you something instead of giving you something you were expecting. They tried to the same when i bought their oil catch can. It's not compatible with the stock intake and tried to sell me one of their intakes. Good thing they are willing to take back and give a full refund.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I think there is also a misunderstanding...not only do I want to continue using the stock BOV valve - I want the hose connected to the intake, so I need the BOV positioned so that the hose goes up. If the SXTH tube was manufactured like in the picture on their website it would be perfect.

cold pipe install 2.jpg

Cold Pipe comparison..jpg

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Trying to explain this to the people at SXTH Element is like talking to a BRICK WALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They don't seem to understand there is a factory hose from the BOV to the intake and I want to keep it. I don't want an big ugly plug on the intake.
ALL the messages from SXTH just keep saying the BOV is fine the way it is.
NO, IT IS NOT!
Am I missing something? Is there another way of explaining this?

Latest Message from SXTH:
Re: Re: Cold Pipe with BOV oriented UP?
SXTH Element Engineering said: Hello again Larry. We do not make the cold pipe like that anymore. the old cold pipe did not work with some airbox systems so we re-designed it. you do not need the blow off valve hose to be installed again, you can leave it out. you'll have the same amount of blow off valve noise and leaving the hose out will not alter the engine operation at all. Hope this helps!

Leaving the hose off DOES change the operation! Without the hose the high pressure is released into the atmosphere. With the hose that high pressure release goes into the intake. If it didn't make a difference ALL the manufacturers would leave the hoses off to save MILLION$.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
183 Posts
Trying to explain this to the people at SXTH Element is like talking to a BRICK WALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They don't seem to understand there is a factory hose from the BOV to the intake and I want to keep it. I don't want an big ugly plug on the intake.
ALL the messages from SXTH just keep saying the BOV is fine the way it is.
NO, IT IS NOT!
Am I missing something? Is there another way of explaining this?

Latest Message from SXTH:
Re: Re: Cold Pipe with BOV oriented UP?
SXTH Element Engineering said: Hello again Larry. We do not make the cold pipe like that anymore. the old cold pipe did not work with some airbox systems so we re-designed it. you do not need the blow off valve hose to be installed again, you can leave it out. you'll have the same amount of blow off valve noise and leaving the hose out will not alter the engine operation at all. Hope this helps!

Leaving the hose off DOES change the operation! Without the hose the high pressure is released into the atmosphere. With the hose that high pressure release goes into the intake. If it didn't make a difference ALL the manufacturers would leave the hoses off to save MILLION$.
I thought there was hope for them when you received the intercooler. Very disappointing.
They had a hard time sending me my hotpipe and BOV adapter, too, in addition with trying to sell me an intake i didn't want because the catchcan didn't fit with the stock air box. At least i got a refund.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I'm finished trying to talk to SXTH. They don't need to change the cold pipe - just turn the damn BOV plate 180 degrees so that the BOV hose will go up. Guess that's too difficult for them to understand. College "educated" engineers, no doubt. Too bad they don't have any "gear-heads" or "motor-heads" (AKA car guys) working there.

If you don't care about the BOV hose, or are running an aftermarket BOV, then there isn't an issue with the SXTH Element Intercooler on the Forte GT - I just prefer having the Factory BOV hose back in place. I don't look forward to having a big ugly plug on my Takeda intake so I'm probably going to install the BOV hose, plug it, and tie-strap it to something.

I installed the SXTH cold pipe without the hose attached to the BOV...and yes Hamster-GT, the air box will fit with the SXTH cold pipe in place.

Tomorrow I'll finish the BOV solenoid install and connect the solenoid hoses.

Have to fabricate a mount for the solenoid wire loom retainer - probably attach it via the solenoid mount bolt on the new SXTH cold pipe. There's a wire loom mount on the original cold pipe but not on the SXTH cold pipe.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts