Kia Forte Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
SXTH Cold Pipe installed! I was able to reuse the original heat shield and you can see the bracket I made for the wire loom. It is bolted on with the solenoid mount bracket bolt.

Cold Pipe Installed.jpg

All buttoned up and running with no issues! The original BOV hose is temp plugged and tie strapped to an engine wire harness at the bottom.

Mechanicallly Sound.jpg

Not going to install the Front Bumper/Fascia just yet - waiting on a Big Mouth intake to come in and I don't want to have to take the Bumper/Fascia off again.

Bumper waiting install.jpg

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
After installing the SXTH cold pipe I don't think the SXTH AV6 BOV will fit. The room around the factory BOV is TIGHT with the fan shroud as it is - the factory BOV doesn't stick straight out from the mount plate! If the BOV sticks straight off the mount plate, like the AV6 does, I don't think there is enough room!

You can see here how close the Factory BOV is to the fan shroud...the clearance will be tighter with a BOV that sticks straight out from the plate:

IMG_0378.JPG

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
This is a picture of the factory BOV on the SXTH cold pipe (looking up from under the car). The BOV is upside down now - the clearances are TIGHT with the larger pipe:

BOV Position.jpg

I have no idea how much bigger aftermarket BOVs are compared to the factory BOV but you can see there is not a lot of room. You can't rotate the pipe to get much more clearance between the BOV and fan shroud because the solenoid w/mount will get closer to the fan shroud - have to find that "sweet spot" to get the most clearance for both the BOV and the solenoid w/mount.

Info: What I've been calling a "Factory BOV" I believe Kia calls a RCV - Recirculating Valve. The "BOV solenoid" is a RCV Solenoid

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Had a chance to drive my GT with the SXTH Element Intercooler. Puts a smile on my face. Part throttle feels MUCH stronger.

I have an ACTRON AutoScanner CP9180, it's old and hasn't been updated in years but it is reading the IATs on my 2021 GT. I drove around after installing my SXTH Element Intercooler kit and observed the following:

35MPH; 73-74° Ambient; IAT 98-100°
60 MPH; 73-74° Ambient; IAT 95-96°
Stopping at a light after driving 45MPH the IAT stayed at 100° (Ambient 73°) for about 10 seconds then began to climb. Got up to 120° before the light changed. As soon as I got going the temps came down quickly.
Sitting in the garage idling after a 6 mile trip the IATs got up to 127°, no fan action.

While driving I didn't use AC and the fan never kicked on so there was no air flow from the fan while stopped.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had a chance to drive my GT with the SXTH Element Intercooler. Puts a smile on my face. Part throttle feels MUCH stronger.

I have an ACTRON AutoScanner CP9180, it's old and hasn't been updated in years but it is reading the IATs on my 2021 GT. I drove around after installing my SXTH Element Intercooler kit and observed the following:

35MPH; 73-74° Ambient; IAT 98-100°
60 MPH; 73-74° Ambient; IAT 95-96°
Stopping at a light after driving 45MPH the IAT stayed at 100° (Ambient 73°) for about 10 seconds then began to climb. Got up to 120° before the light changed. As soon as I got going the temps came down quickly.
Sitting in the garage idling after a 6 mile trip the IATs got up to 127°, no fan action.

While driving I didn't use AC and the fan never kicked on so there was no air flow from the fan while stopped.

Do you have stock intercooler numbers for comparison?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Do you have stock intercooler numbers for comparison?
I don't...I didn't think my Actron would work on my 21 but after driving it today I gave it a shot. Doesn't see the turbo boost but it does read IAT, TPS, 2x HO2S, Water temp, Fuel Press, etc. Before I got the Intercooler I had tried to update my Actron - but they don't support this model anymore.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Most improvements will be less heat soak, faster cooling, better air flow, not loosing whp over stock IC super easy heat soak, and better mid range power. Since its a larger core and inlet and outlet are much larger most likely see 10-15 lower degrees lower temperatures than stock and stable temps. Location matters also. No matter its definitely a improvement over stock crappy and restrictive IC. Stock IC cold side restriction:

·
Registered
2020 Kia Forte GT Manual
37 Posts
Looking at that guys numbers and my numbers with stock intercooler and using obd2aa afe intake velossa bm my numbers are lower. 78 degrees ambient and I was getting 94 while driving slow speeds. I also cleaned throttle body. So I am not sure if that intercooler is much better. Looking at IATs.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Looking at that guys numbers and my numbers with stock intercooler and using obd2aa afe intake velossa bm my numbers are lower. 78 degrees ambient and I was getting 94 while driving slow speeds. I also cleaned throttle body. So I am not sure if that intercooler is much better. Looking at IATs.
We need to stop thinking only about IATs here.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Forte GT Manual
37 Posts
I ordered the hot pipe from sixth for now. So intercooler probably delivers better cooling flow for hp not as much cooling as I was thinking for IAT. I am just wondering where they are measuring temps for engines. If not IAT.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I ordered the hot pipe from sixth for now. So intercooler probably delivers better cooling flow for hp not as much cooling as I was thinking for IAT. I am just wondering where they are measuring temps for engines. If not IAT.
Most ppl buying aftermarket IC are not just buying them for major decreases of temperatures. Turbo going to heat up the air regardless. Read above what I posted.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Forte GT Manual
37 Posts
Dude calm down. I was just comparing intercoolers and information I was reading from different sites on different intercoolers. Is that such a bad thing? R&D imho is important.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Dude calm down. I was just comparing intercoolers and information I was reading from different sites on different intercoolers. Is that such a bad thing? R&D imho is important.
I am calm and eating pizza. Lol. Just pointing out that you make seem its only about IAT in your context which someone new about all this could take it as in a no go thing to do. Just saying.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Industry standards say that an intercooler should cool the intake air to within 20° to 30° of ambient air temperature. Expecting an intercooler to cool better then that is wishful thinking - unless you use a liquid to help cool the intake air.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
SXTH Element Intercooler in car:

IMG_0400.JPG

·
Registered
185 Posts
IAT's are important... Mass Air Density means more power. Denser, cooler air means less boost but more power.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts