Kia Forte Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
IAT's are important... Mass Air Density means more power. Denser, cooler air means less boost but more power.
True.

But it's also true that there's not much we can do about the IATs - and the average owner doesn't care. It is what it is. A larger intercooler won't guarantee lower IATs because of heat soak and the amount of time the air is going to be in the intercooler. Mechanically some powerful fans might help but there's simply not enough room to add them.

The factory intercooler has a lot of baffling to get the air to flow through it - the aftermarket Intercoolers don't - and you can't reuse the factory baffles on the aftermarket Intercooler as there is no where to mount them and they don't fit.

The #1 reason for an aftermarket Intercooler is the increased intake air flow through it. SXTH's Intercooler can flow better then 33% more air - and their hot and cold pipes are bigger and also increase the air flow over the stock pipes.

As long as the IATs are the same between the aftermarket and factory intercooler there is a power gain because the engine can breathe better.

·
Registered
185 Posts
True.

But it's also true that there's not much we can do about the IATs - and the average owner doesn't care. It is what it is. A larger intercooler won't guarantee lower IATs because of heat soak and the amount of time the air is going to be in the intercooler. Mechanically some powerful fans might help but there's simply not enough room to add them.

The factory intercooler has a lot of baffling to get the air to flow through it - the aftermarket Intercoolers don't - and you can't reuse the factory baffles on the aftermarket Intercooler as there is no where to mount them and they don't fit.

The #1 reason for an aftermarket Intercooler is the increased intake air flow through it. SXTH's Intercooler can flow better then 33% more air - and their hot and cold pipes are bigger and also increase the air flow over the stock pipes.

As long as the IATs are the same between the aftermarket and factory intercooler there is a power gain because the engine can breathe better.
The Wagner Tuning intercooler is the best available at this time.

The expense of it, plus the fact it only is a minor improvement over stock. The main heat pump is the stock turbo because there's no free lunch and everybody hates lag.

That makes water methanol injection a much better investment. The stock intercooler is fine up to a point.

The BMS is PNP.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The Wagner Tuning intercooler is the best available at this time.
SXTH Vs Wagner:
Wagner IC is considerably larger, however, SXTH IC comes with larger cold and hot pipes.

·
Registered
185 Posts
SXTH Vs Wagner:
Wagner IC is considerably larger, however, SXTH IC comes with larger cold and hot pipes.
Do you actually need new pipes? With proper back to back testing we don't know.

There is no consensus that you need to upgrade those and the placebo effect aka butt dynos is not actual data.

But if you willing parting with your dollars without asking who am I to say not buy it?

Water methanol is far more effective or impactful than upgrading the intercooler plus increase octane and cool the inlet charge.

It also wins the ROI argument. Nevermind that all these bolt ons won't change output, a tune is a must because torque limiting is killing power potential.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
We can argue the merits of everything sold as performance parts - intakes, exhaust, down pipes, spark plugs, etc. This is my hobby - tinkering on my cars to personalize them and give me something to do. The Forte GT is pure peppy fun.

If all I cared about was power then I'd be looking at more powerful cars, certainly not a 1.6T 4 cylinder.

I learned from experience on a dyno that it is difficult to prove any "add-ons" increase power: you could get 3 HP to 7 HP differences between baseline runs before even putting on an "add-on". I prefer dragstrip runs. Real World acceleration instead of dynos.

·
Registered
334 Posts
New cars now our size and turbo size turbo lag is about non existent. Smaller turbos spool up much faster than a single large turbocharger.
Most carmakers today aim for linear power delivery.
This means that the engine delivers its oomph in a smooth and consistent manner, with little to no turbo lag.

Wanger IC is great and so is weter/meth. For sure larger hot and cold pipe will benefit. Want to get full potential out it and other bolt ons you get it tuned. Still with out a tune there will be improvements over stock.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We can argue the merits of everything sold as performance parts - intakes, exhaust, down pipes, spark plugs, etc. This is my hobby - tinkering on my cars to personalize them and give me something to do. The Forte GT is pure peppy fun.

If all I cared about was power then I'd be looking at more powerful cars, certainly not a 1.6T 4 cylinder.

I learned from experience on a dyno that it is difficult to prove any "add-ons" increase power: you could get 3 HP to 7 HP differences between baseline runs before even putting on an "add-on". I prefer dragstrip runs. Real World acceleration instead of dynos.
Yeah, "Real World acceleration instead of dynos" I found a few sources saying this engine picks up 25 ponies with 93 octane...my times with dragy yielded pretty much the same performance between 89 and 93...
MAYBE, during those hot summer days 93 would help a bit on the top end, idk. But THIS 1.6t doesnt perform better even if it yields a higher dyno number...

I am familiar with the EB engines and THAT is the only engine in the comparison that picked up A LOT of performance on the higher octane.

So, I am saving myself some $$$ now.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My best time on Map w/91 octane is [email protected] mph. We were limited to the 1/8th mile that day.

I had planned to go this week but got my weeks messed up and didn't buy the parts I need to get rid of the wheel hop. Without that I can't get my drag radials hot.

I think it can run 13's at 99-100 mph on 91. No reason to crank up the power until I have the traction issues sorted.

The car would make more power on the stock tune if the torque limiting wasn't aggressive as it is. Tork Motorsports wondering why the 2019 Veloster didn't respond to bolt ons like the older cars did.

When I only saw minor gains with changing fuels I knew I needed a tune to get more. I ordered a JB4 and now I have the BMS water methanol injection as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My best time on Map w/91 octane is [email protected] mph. We were limited to the 1/8th mile that day.

I had planned to go this week but got my weeks messed up and didn't buy the parts I need to get rid of the wheel hop. Without that I can't get my drag radials hot.

I think it can run 13's at 99-100 mph on 91. No reason to crank up the power until I have the traction issues sorted.

The car would make more power on the stock tune if the torque limiting wasn't aggressive as it is. Tork Motorsports wondering why the 2019 Veloster didn't respond to bolt ons like the older cars did.

When I only saw minor gains with changing fuels I knew I needed a tune to get more. I ordered a JB4 and now I have the BMS water methanol injection as well.
I am stock to the tire:
89 octane: 9.46 sec @ 77.70 mph - 63F @ sea level
93 octane" 9.45 sec @ 76.19 mph - 68F @ sea level

You should be able to do low 14s @ 98ish - 99 ish mph..
I usually range in the 14.59-14.75 s @ 95-95.5 mph

Whats your 60ft?

For the month of Feb, this 2020 Kia soul posted a time of 13.69 sec @ 101.6 mph on the leaderboards, according to description: jb4, DP, intake, exhaust, e85, and toyos r888..his 60ft was 2.29 sec.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am stock to the tire:
89 octane: 9.46 sec @ 77.70 mph - 63F @ sea level
93 octane" 9.45 sec @ 76.19 mph - 68F @ sea level

You should be able to do low 14s @ 98ish - 99 ish mph..
I usually range in the 14.59-14.75 s @ 95-95.5 mph

Whats your 60ft?

For the month of Feb, this 2020 Kia soul posted a time of 13.69 sec @ 101.6 mph on the leaderboards, according to description: jb4, DP, intake, exhaust, e85, and toyos r888..his 60ft was 2.29 sec.
[/QUOTE
2.18 on that run, but that's horrible for drag radials.

Toyo Triple 8's is a 200 wear rating circuit/autocross tire. Brooks of Drag Times only uses them because he's concerned that drag radials will dead hook and break something in his 6 digit super cars.

You can avoid the torque spike from the dead hook stay tuned.

·
Registered
71 Posts
2.18 on that run, but that's horrible for drag radials.

Toyo Triple 8's is a 200 wear rating circuit/autocross tire. Brooks of Drag Times only uses them because he's concerned that drag radials will dead hook and break something in his 6 digit super cars.

You can avoid the torque spike from the dead hook stay tuned.
2.18 s is pretty damn good! what tires you got? the stock Kumhos are ALRIGHT...my best 60ft has been 2.41 sec but typically range in the 2.45-2.61s...theres a bit of room for improvement.

and LOL I have NO idea why the Soul owner went w/ toyos 😅 but I was pretty impressed!

·
Registered
185 Posts
2.18 s is pretty damn good! what tires you got? the stock Kumhos are ALRIGHT...my best 60ft has been 2.41 sec but typically range in the 2.45-2.61s...theres a bit of room for improvement.

and LOL I have NO idea why the Soul owner went w/ toyos 😅 but I was pretty impressed!
Hoosier DR2 Drag Radials. 225/45-17 they might be discontinued. I think I got the final set from Summit Racing.

If you don't have rules to follow go with slicks. 245/45-17 M&H slicks fit and work great.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hoosier DR2 Drag Radials. 225/45-17 they might be discontinued. I think I got the final set from Summit Racing.

If you don't have rules to follow go with slicks. 245/45-17 M&H slicks fit and work great.
Bad thing about drag radials is that they last very little lol 10-15k miles..
I think I'm gonna go with Firehawk Indy 500s, those were awesome in my previous car, lasted for about 30-35k miles.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Bad thing about drag radials is that they last very little lol 10-15k miles..
I think I'm gonna go with Firehawk Indy 500s, those were awesome in my previous car, lasted for about 30-35k miles.
I don't drive on them daily, just the track. Nitto Drag Radials wear pretty good though I still wouldn't drive on them daily.

Indy 500 are great I had them on my Focus ST.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Can you guys make a post about tires...LOL!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Update on SXTH Element Intercooler kit:

I bought an extra SXTH Element cold pipe and am reworking it to position the factory RCV (BOV) correctly and be able to hook up the Hose from the RCV to the intake.

Comparison - notice the RCV (BOV) mount plate is upside down:
Comparison.jpg

How the SXTH Element cold pipe is installed - the RCV (BOV) is upside down:
BOV Position.jpg

I cut the RCV (BOV) plate off and will be taking the pipe to a custom welding shop this week to get the plate remounted to position the RCV with the hose connection up to reuse the hose - and I will install a wire harness bracket too:
IMG_0424.JPG

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
My modified cold pipe, SXTH element cold pipe, and factory cold pipe:

3 pipes 1.jpg
3 pipes 2.jpg

My modified cold pipe installed, hose connected to factory RCV/BOV, filter air box not installed yet:

Pipe reconnected to RCV BOV.jpg

Many thanks to Triple H Custom Welding in Panama City Beach, FL!

41 - 60 of 62 Posts