Kia Forte Forum banner

Synthetic or standard oil?

6K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Psypher 
#1 ·
I’m seeing different recommendations as far as engine oil whether it being synthetic or multi weight? what have you guys been using and do you see a difference in mileage? I have 11K on mine
Thanks

#2 ·
I run full synthetic in mine. Always will. Worth the extra cost for the improvement in engine life. Seems to run smoother too, although that might be in my head. I want to keep mine forever, so it's worth it to me to keep good oil in it and change it regularly.

#4 ·
I can make a case for full synthetic and the petro-synthetic blend that my dealership provides. For me, I go with the blend and use the lower price to compensate for more frequent oil changes.

My rationale is that flow and lubrication qualities are not that much different between full synthetic and blend until the last few thousand miles of the oil's life in the car. Then, the full synthetics additives still are adding some benefit.

However, whether synthethic or blend an equal amount of particles and chemicals are going unto the oil from the effects of conbustion. Flushing out those critters early is more important to the long life of my engine.

#5 ·
I personally use full synthetic because of the benefits it provides. Where I live pretty much everything sold is full synthetic, I have a difficult time finding synthetic blends, let alone conventional. 5 quarts of Synthetic is a little over $20 for me, which is reasonable.

i always run the weight the manufacturer recommends, which for me is 5W-20. There is so much technology in engines that I don’t risk putting in any other weights. Plus I think 5W-20 is a good normal weight oil for a car.

Most Importantly change the oil consistently and on time. I might be old school in saying this but I change mine every 5k-6K miles or 6 Months, which ever comes first. Oil changes are Cheap, these Kia engines are NOT! 😂

#6 ·
Kia/Hyundai dealerships use the dino/synthethic blend in addition to offering full synthethic.

The dealership charges $80 for a full synthetic oil change that is supposed to last 10,000 miles. The blend costs $40 and is supposed to last 7,500 miles.

I would never go that far between oil changes -- as you say, oil is cheap and engines are expensive. At 5,000 miles my oil is black with contaminants.

#7 ·
2016 Forte 2.0
78k miles
Using synthetic. Change it at 4,000+/-
I used synthetic in my 97 Saturn, bought new, ran to 197k. Cracked cylinder head so sold it finally.
When I replaced valve cover hasket ~100k miles, the valve train looked like new- clean. At 197k, cylinders still had factory crosshatch pattern.
Saturn 1.9 were notorious oil burners. Mine never burned any measurable oil in 22 years.
I knew a guy who raced Sportsters. He said synthetic oil does not burn or turn to varnish. Good enough for Tatro, good enough for me 🙂

"Oil is cheap, engines are expensive" Good motto.

#10 ·
our forte and Sorento can use conventional semi or blended or full synthetic. Just oil change is frequencies are different. Oil is expensive but I found
This project farm guy has a lot of test on oils of all kinds on YouTube. He is amazing I’ve learned a lot.
You maybe surprise that a lot of oils are from same manufacture. This one is on Costco vs Walmart brand. he doesn’t get paid by the brand’s tested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.