Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been running synthetics fluids in all of my vehicles for over 10 years. I wait until 3000 miles to change the oil and then I switch to synthetic on all fluids. I watch the oil fluid color and change when it starts getting dark.

*Engine Oil: 0w-MFGw recommended operating weight (0w-20 in the case of the Forte)
*ATF or MTF: I prefer Royal Purple MAX ATF / MTL (MAX ATF approved for Forte and I will be switching 8.6q of Kia ATF to Max ATF)
*Differential: 75w 90 or Mfg operating
*Seafoam Carbon Remover: Every 10K miles and before smog checks.

I have a few question for the tribe:

1. Has anyone else changed their ATF fluid? If so, what did you use?
2. The tough nugget--Who has done a Differential fluid swap on thier Forte? What cold/op weight fluid did you use?
3. Has anyone else noticed a peppiness after an oil change? I think it has to do with the return to normal "lab" flow rate for the VVT oil control valve. Thoughts?

I can't wait for the Tkits.coms CAI prototype unit to arrive. Is it here already?

·
Registered
746 Posts
I too switch over to synthetic at about 3000k. With the Forte 2.4SX I have tried all synthetics except for the European syn's & Motul. There is more to oil than viscosity. I'm curently using Mobil1 5w-20 syn with the 503 filter. I change it every 4-5000k . As for ATF KIA recommends to only use Diamond SP-111 (semi synthetic).
I'm not sure if Forte ATF has a filter. I do know that some of there other ATF's did not. Partly do to ATF's not being serviced, issues caused by clogged filters.

The tough thing about switching ATF from Diamond SP-111 is, KIA has not released what additive's and quantities are in it. Or, what the base is. Royal Purple, Mobil1 & Wolfshead, claim their ATF products meet or exceed Hyundai/KIA, but how, if Hyundai/KIA have not released what their ATF is.

As for differential. For FWD ATF car, the fluid is shared with the ATF...right...

For MT many have been happy with Redline. As for feeling peppy after a service. It's nice hoping:) But , I'm skeptical being the car is MAP EFI. MAP needs many miles/km after any change to find it pre determined maps again. I'm reaqlly hoping KIA will stick to their press reales when they said the Forte is going to be open to tuners.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I too switch over to synthetic at about 3000k. With the Forte 2.4SX I have tried all synthetics except for the European syn's & Motul. There is more to oil than viscosity. I'm curently using Mobil1 5w-20 syn with the 503 filter. I change it every 4-5000k . As for ATF KIA recommends to only use Diamond SP-111 (semi synthetic).
I'm not sure if Forte ATF has a filter. I do know that some of there other ATF's did not. Partly do to ATF's not being serviced, issues caused by clogged filters.

The tough thing about switching ATF from Diamond SP-111 is, KIA has not released what additive's and quantities are in it. Or, what the base is. Royal Purple, Mobil1 & Wolfshead, claim their ATF products meet or exceed Hyundai/KIA, but how, if Hyundai/KIA have not released what their ATF is.

As for differential. For FWD ATF car, the fluid is shared with the ATF...right...

For MT many have been happy with Redline. As for feeling peppy after a service. It's nice hoping:) But , I'm skeptical being the car is MAP EFI. MAP needs many miles/km after any change to find it pre determined maps again. I'm reaqlly hoping KIA will stick to their press reales when they said the Forte is going to be open to tuners.
I hope they also open it up... I image the pep tune they gave the Koup continued to the redline... Then we would have something to add to exhaust, intake, pulley, etc..

I am going on to the techinfo site to read about the shared fluid. It would be nice if it shared...

I like Mobil One and used it during changes (0-20 SuperSyn) on the Miata. It's good stuff.

I run MaxATF in my Sorento and it has 25K miles on it. It runs hard and behaves well for a KIA Auto.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
An aftermarket tranny cooler may be something to investigate.
I had installed one on my '95 Dodge Avenger because of the issues with the Chrysler A/Ts. I also shortened the service interval from 90,000 km to 60,000 kms.

235,000 kms, never an issue with the A/T.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An aftermarket tranny cooler may be something to investigate.
The Sorento has one due to the towing capacity....

I never have considered looking for this on the Forte SX... Every Auto I have ever owned had one. They should be on a sports car but as we have seen it's hard to understand what the engineers were thinking in some cases--especially on the intake system!

This will be a must at the 175WHP range due to big increase in power. I can't wait to have this problem! 175-151=26HP to go!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts