Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking with the community here, but do you find that the 3rd gear is a bit "tall" when compared to the 2nd gear on 6spd manual ?

At least the way I feel it, in order to maintain a decent rate of smooth/enjoyable acceleration, I have to rev up the RPM in 2nd gear to at least about 3500 - 4000 rpm before I shift up to 3rd. If I shift up from 2nd to 3rd around 3000 rpm or less, the car seems to hesitate - or seems to lose responsiveness a bit.

It's not too great for gas mileage to keep the RPM high, but sometimes you just want to enjoy what this car can do ! :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
you know I have the 5speed 2.0 and it does the same thing... Ive read about smaller lightweight pullies that might work...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I dunno if it is just me but that seems awful high. I have the 6sp also and almost always shift around 2- 2500 rpms for gas mileage and never have felt it seem like it was underpowered. Of course if I need the power I will let it rev up to 3,000 or alittle more and thats plenty but 4,000? for smooth acceleration? I am only hittiing 4,000 above when merging onto a highway or wanting to race a buddy ;)

Just seems like 4,000 rpm is alot if you want a smooth ride, and can kiss gas mileage goodbye haha

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I dunno if it is just me but that seems awful high. I have the 6sp also and almost always shift around 2- 2500 rpms for gas mileage and never have felt it seem like it was underpowered. Of course if I need the power I will let it rev up to 3,000 or alittle more and thats plenty but 4,000? for smooth acceleration? I am only hittiing 4,000 above when merging onto a highway or wanting to race a buddy ;)

Just seems like 4,000 rpm is alot if you want a smooth ride, and can kiss gas mileage goodbye haha
I agree with Dambrosio on this inless your racing lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey I definitely feel this exact same thing and I was wondering why? Fortes just ask to go fast!

Just checking with the community here, but do you find that the 3rd gear is a bit "tall" when compared to the 2nd gear on 6spd manual ?

At least the way I feel it, in order to maintain a decent rate of smooth/enjoyable acceleration, I have to rev up the RPM in 2nd gear to at least about 3500 - 4000 rpm before I shift up to 3rd. If I shift up from 2nd to 3rd around 3000 rpm or less, the car seems to hesitate - or seems to lose responsiveness a bit.

It's not too great for gas mileage to keep the RPM high, but sometimes you just want to enjoy what this car can do ! :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, the jump from 2nd to 3rd is too long; due to the different final drive ratio used for 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th/5th/6th. (Source: Car and Driver magazine, March 2010)

sspak9 is correct: '... at least about 3500 - 4000 rpm before I shift up to 3rd ... ' I usually rev her up to at least 4500 if I feel like I want to keep her "live".

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Man that kills the gas mileage tho... You shouldn't have to go that high just to shift. Even my 95 Plymouth neon was shift at 3000rpm

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yea, I hate to downshift into 2nd around 15-20. 3rd is just so tall though...

Is it healthy for me to feel my car "jerk" when I shift into 2nd from 20 mph?...

Any input would be great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Forte SX-6spd.
1st: 3.267
2nd: 1.931
3rd: 1.636
4th: 1.216
5th: 1.027
6th: 0.829
FD: 4.063

2006 Civic Si-6spd.
1st- 3.27
2nd- 2.13
3rd- 1.52
4th- 1.15
5th- 0.92
6th- 0.66
FD- 4.76

This is for comparison purposes...The taller FD on the Forte 6spd. is meant to put you in the power band of the 2.4's tq. When driving normanlly, shifting at 3K, still might feel weak in this engine's powerband though.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Yes, the jump from 2nd to 3rd is too long; due to the different final drive ratio used for 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th/5th/6th. (Source: Car and Driver magazine, March 2010)

sspak9 is correct: '... at least about 3500 - 4000 rpm before I shift up to 3rd ... ' I usually rev her up to at least 4500 if I feel like I want to keep her "live".

I'm with ****** on this!!

And since I got the Magnaflow install I just want to hear it so shifting at 4000-4500 is not rare at all!!:D
You can feel the engine coming alive at 3300-3500RPM...
I gess that's why I have an average 9.5 l/100Km:rolleyes:
But hey!! if I want to save on fuel I should have bought an EX with fuel package... or a Smart CDI:eek:
But I'm realy happy with my near 10L/100Km since my two previous ride were bearly doing 15L/100Km...... on 94 octane!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I felt that too when i first got my car. It would feel as though when id shift into 3rd the car would fall on its ass, but after a while it went away, or maybe because i shift at the 3500 rpmish now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.