Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more for curiousity sake that anything else. Does anyone know where the outside temperature sensor is located? It doesn't say in the manual and I'm just curious as to how accurate it actually is.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
last i checked in most cars it's located right infront of the windshield/ the vents under the wiper blades/ close to where the ac intake is. at least that's what Audi told my dad about his A6

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, this makes sense however in that location wouldn't the engine temperature affect the sensor? Seems a little close to me. You've gotta think that it has to be somewhere where no elements can effect it...whether it be sun, shade, ice, rain, snow and so forth.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
from what i understood from the guy is that these vents are heat isolated from the engine, but then again it was a 60 grand car.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rebirth of this thread!!!

I was thinking about this again the other day and I still don't have an answer. Does anyone know?! I checked along the front vents and I don't see anything.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, I should clarify for everyone...I'm asking about the outside temp display. Pretty sure this is only available on Canadian Koups. It displays the outside temp on the climate control display.

Kigs? wha??

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From the sounds of the description, it sounds like that one is the temp sensor for the ambient temp inside the car that controls the auto climate control...

I'm looking for the sensor that detects the outside ambient temp.

However, the diagram says the sensor is located behind the bumper which would make sense for the outside ambient temp but wouldn't make sense to the inside ambient temp. Hmmm.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
From the sounds of the description, it sounds like that one is the temp sensor for the ambient temp inside the car that controls the auto climate control...

I'm looking for the sensor that detects the outside ambient temp.

However, the diagram says the sensor is located behind the bumper which would make sense for the outside ambient temp but wouldn't make sense to the inside ambient temp. Hmmm.

Read it again... It's behind the bumper in front of the condenser. Def measuring outside temps. It relays temp to dash as well as cut A/C to manual only usage when below a designated temp (my assumption is to eliminate freezing of the condenser).

Compare the last pic and it's location to this...

Note the red box matches the original pic location.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm pretty sure all Forte's have this... even if the temp is not reported. My OBDII reports the outside temp and I don't have any gauge for it.

(Android app, Toque shows the ambient outside temp as reported from the OBDII port)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'm pretty sure all Forte's have this... even if the temp is not reported. My OBDII reports the outside temp and I don't have any gauge for it.

(Android app, Toque shows the ambient outside temp as reported from the OBDII port)

Correct. The sensor actually has a function other than reporting temperature to the driver. Most every car has an outside ambient temperature sensor.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just read it again and it looks like you're right. Thanks for the info!!

I've been trying to figure out why the temp display is off by a few degrees and I guess this would be why. It probably still picks up the heat of the engine where it's located.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Late echo for this problem for those who still have 2011 car :).

On my 2011 Forte with Auto AC I have lower then real outside temp displayed usually after getting the car washed.

KGIS says:
1. The ambient temperature sensor is located at the front of the condenser and detects ambient air temperature. It is a
negative type thermistor; resistance will increase with lower temperature, and decrease with higher temperatures.
2. The sensor output will be used for discharge temperature control, temperature regulation door control, blower motor level control, mix mode control and in-car humidity control.

If an increase of thermistor resistance will show a lower temperature -> for what happens with my car this means that water gets into the ambient temp sensor contracts and causes contact resistance increase in the connector.

If the sensor or the sealing from the connector not failed to let water in -> this may be fixable with contact cleaner spray.
To get access to the sensor front grill and bumper would need to be removed.

This is the expected sensor electric resistance between the two pins.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts