Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hopefully lol I found out I dont have the nicely equipped header on my 10 forte sedan ex :mad: I have this instead and I am not about to pay 800 plus for a header so I will be making my own il let you guys know how it goes here is a picture of what stock looks like

will post after I have completed ...Going the 4-2-1 rout wish me luck lol ..!!! =)

will post cost and every thing needed to complete project thanx guys go Forte..!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
wow that header looks really-super worn, maybe its just me not sure I havent removed my heatshield from my exhuast manifold yet.

so your going to make your own header just because the one you have a nicely equipped header?

I was pretty sure all fortes came with really good ones from factory - i remember seeing pictures from Crock89's (but he does have a SX model).

If its not broken I wouldn't suggest fixing it, if its cosmetics than just throw a heat shield over it, but its your car.

Let us know how the header turns out

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow that header looks really-super worn, maybe its just me not sure I havent removed my heatshield from my exhuast manifold yet.

so your going to make your own header just because the one you have a nicely equipped header?

I was pretty sure all fortes came with really good ones from factory - i remember seeing pictures from Crock89's (but he does have a SX model).

If its not broken I wouldn't suggest fixing it, if its cosmetics than just throw a heat shield over it, but its your car.

Let us know how the header turns out
i was being sarcastic..lol no i will be building my own in hopes of getting a little more uuummmphhh out the car that stock one look terrible ryt i think we can all agree lol ..?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,897 Posts
hopefully lol I found out I dont have the nicely equipped header on my 10 forte sedan ex :mad: I have this instead and I am not about to pay 800 plus for a header so I will be making my own il let you guys know how it goes here is a picture of what stock looks like

will post after I have completed ...Going the 4-2-1 rout wish me luck lol ..!!! =)

will post cost and every thing needed to complete project thanx guys go Forte..!!!!!!!!

You have the SULEV engine -- all about emissions reduction. Just be glad you're doing your part in reducing emissions...LoL

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I thought un-equal length gave a cooler sound
Nope. Not really.
If you're thinking of the Subbies FOR THE LAST TIME IT'S THE BOXER H4 ENGINE THAT GIVES IT THE SOUND.

Equal length 4-2-1 headers will give the best flow, and best overall power increase.

Mr. Nacho make sure you coat those homemade headers. Ceramic in and out will do wonders.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nope. Not really.
If you're thinking of the Subbies FOR THE LAST TIME IT'S THE BOXSTER H4 ENGINE THAT GIVES IT THE SOUND.
Why then do WRX owners NEVER upgrade to equal length? Not saying the engine isn't a part of it, but the headers do play a roll in the sound.

·
Registered
973 Posts
get equal length or you're going to get reversion from the exhaust pulses running together instead of being evenly spaced. NOT GOOD.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you want power, get equal length

If you want that sexy sound only found from unequal length headers, then go unequal length

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
@ tebore thanx for the info brother would i have to coat even if it stainless steel ..??
Yes because SS will still eventually look like that picture given enough time because of heat.

Also because ceramic coatings help keep the heat in. Keeping the heat in helps exhaust flow, cooler air is denser, denser = heavier meaning the engine has to use more energy pushing it out. Also warms up the cat faster so your car has cleaner emissions faster.

Coating also helps the header looking nicer longer, keeps engine bay temps down this helps with the A/C, intake temps etc.

Basically Coated headers rock.

93'Det. There's a slew of reasons why people with a subbie don't bother swapping headers.
1. Money
2. Spend the money on the turbo instead of the header.
3. The key here is getting better flow to the turbo if it means that it's uneven but still gets the job done so be it.
4. Refer to 3 the trade off isn't worth it.

Have you even looked under the hood of a done up WRX there's not too much room on both sides to get turbos, piping, suspension.

My point is subbies sound the way they do is mostly because of the engine. Anyone who tells you their car sounds exactly like a Subaru is BSing. Ask a Subaru enthusiast they'll agree with me and probably slap who ever even uttered such a thing. It's like saying my Forte sounds like a V12 Ferrari it'll never happen unless I take some Kia Forte Badges and slap it on a Ferrari.

Headers make a difference in sound that's no doubt but no matter how hard you try your Kia ain't gonna sound exactly like a Subaru. Or a V8 or a Shelby or a K20 or B16. Every engine has a distinct tone. A 350 Cleveland will grumble differently than a Chevy 350 or a 3.8 Buick.

Unequal length headers will do nothing for our car. The stock header's already unequal enough. GM Had some nice unequal length headers on the Ecotecs I don't hear them sounding sexy or Subaru like.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If I could rep you right now, I would lol, awesome info ('specially the higher heat = better exhaust flow)

I was more or less "poking fun" into the subbies never swappin' headers. Unequal length headers give you a distinct sound, that was my point and only point. I never said a Forte would sound like a wrx, but "mimic" the unequal length sound the wrx provides. Again, good info.

·
Registered
708 Posts
If I could rep you right now, I would lol, awesome info ('specially the higher heat = better exhaust flow)

I was more or less "poking fun" into the subbies never swappin' headers. Unequal length headers give you a distinct sound, that was my point and only point. I never said a Forte would sound like a wrx, but "mimic" the unequal length sound the wrx provides. Again, good info.
dont rep him...

if a header is 304L stainless (which is automotive standard stainless) you do not need to coat it.. it will not rust over time.. if it starts to rust it's mild steal

most aftermarket turbo manifolds are stainless. and get MUCH MUCH hotter then an NA header

the engine is not what what gives most of the sound

you remove the UEL and it sounds only slightly different then any other turbo 4cyl esp on a bigger 4 cyl

ecotecs dont come with an unequal length manifold

thats an unequal length manifold on an ecotec

YouTube - bizare's Channel

turbo 2.4 L ecotec. (to show comparison between a "larger" turbo 4 cyl exhaust note)

the second one is supercharged so it has a much more open exhaust note ..

not to mention the cooler the air is the easier it is to move through the exhaust piping.. you want things to be cooler.. coating is great for

the hotter the exhaust is the more the air is expanded.. thus the harder it is got displace out the back of the exhaust

straw theory

·
Registered
205 Posts
Stainless steel will rust over time if it is heated to much. Ive been welding stainless industrial ovens for years. If you heat it to much while welding and it turns black your screwed because its gonna rust there because of the heat.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I should add that in the shop I work in we only use 316 and 408 stainless. Both of which get rusty especially the 408 as that's what we build the "heat" exchangers out of.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.