Kia Forte Forum banner
221 - 240 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
I recently went to drain my catch can and there was a trace of oil/gunk in it (only a few hundred miles since install)...still better in there then on the intake valves!
It sure is! It's relieving to know my engine is healthy and it's not ingesting oil like my former Subaru with a brand new engine. I'm quite impressed on how this little 1.6 turbo puts out good power and doesn't give me anxiety like my STI did.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,897 Posts
It sure is! It's relieving to know my engine is healthy and it's not ingesting oil like my former Subaru with a brand new engine. I'm quite impressed on how this little 1.6 turbo puts out good power and doesn't give me anxiety like my STI did.
You are RIGHT! I was very relieved that there was so little gunk in the catch can. After seeing some posts where people had to pour the oil out of their catch cans I had visions of my catch can filling up before I drained it...:)

·
Registered
238 Posts
So why don't car manufacturers put catch cans of some sort on these Turbo cars? Wouldn't that save them money on warranty repairs?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,897 Posts
So why don't car manufacturers put catch cans of some sort on these Turbo cars? Wouldn't that save them money on warranty repairs?
VERY SIMPLE ANSWER! BECAUSE...they know 99.9% of owners would not empty the oil catch can...and if it did fill up, the engine would be able to ingest a lot of oil and the engine could be severely damaged.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
I like the new intake kit. Response from the engine and noticeable quick and early spool from the turbo. The engine feels more NA like. Also, no obnoxious turbo noises! AFE Power did an awesome job!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I like the new intake kit. Response from the engine and noticeable quick and early spool from the turbo. The engine feels more NA like. Also, no obnoxious turbo noises! AFE Power did an awesome job!
That's why it's one of the first things I mod on a car...LOL! The factory is restrained by noise requirements...that's why they usually call them "Silencers" instead of "intakes"...LOL

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
That's why it's one of the first things I mod on a car...LOL! The factory is restrained by noise requirements...that's why they usually call them "Silencers" instead of "intakes"...LOL
I can barely hear the difference in loudness from stock, but I can tell there is more power overall.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was amazed at the throttle response and turbo spool difference after installing mine last weekend. Very satisfied!

Only thing I wish that was different is that it was maybe a 2-piece airbox design with a top part that made it easier to take out and clean/replace filter. But wine I should only have to do that once every other year, I'm being picky lol.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I was amazed at the throttle response and turbo spool difference after installing mine last weekend. Very satisfied!

Only thing I wish that was different is that it was maybe a 2-piece airbox design with a top part that made it easier to take out and clean/replace filter. But wine I should only have to do that once every other year, I'm being picky lol.

I found that you only have to loosen the clamp at the rear and disconnect the RCV (BOV) hose to remove the filter to change it...so it's not too difficult.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
I'm in the process of piecing together an axle-back muffler. Stock is cool, but I want a bit more. No muffler delete for me.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
After running the intake on 2 refills of gas, the car is much more fun to drive. It doesn't feel held back as much, especially up top in the RPMs. The muffler should help a bit more. When I do an intercooler upgrade, if I like it the way it is, I might not do something like a JB4. I prefer a well balanced car anyways. I just wish it had a factory LSD.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah, I'm having much more fun driving mine since the Takeda install. Seems to me it shifts harder with the paddle shifters than before...like chirp when I kick it down to 2nd from 3rd at WOT and also 1st to 2nd at WOT.

Looking forward to an exhaust when I figure out what I want. My wife actually what's the car louder (in the good way) lol.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
Yeah, I'm having much more fun driving mine since the Takeda install. Seems to me it shifts harder with the paddle shifters than before...like chirp when I kick it down to 2nd from 3rd at WOT and also 1st to 2nd at WOT.

Looking forward to an exhaust when I figure out what I want. My wife actually what's the car louder (in the good way) lol.
The Mrs is awesome! Are you going prefab or custom exhaust?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Pre-Fab and most likely Evilla. I need to call them and get some answers straightened out with options, just haven't had time to do it this past week.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT2 Aurora Black Pearl
14 Posts

Did you get the open or closed intake? Anyone know if an inlet scoop (Velossa Tech) would work better on 1 system than the other?

221 - 240 of 251 Posts