Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously considering HIDs but have a few questions..

What Color temp? 4500k 5000k 6000k 7000k or even 8500k, what is going to draw less attention from the police but still look awesome in the process....

35w or 55w

What is the dealer gonna say about this when I take my car for service?

Is my warranty out the window?

Any other things to know before doing this? besides the modification to the stock H11B's

BW

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
warranty wont be out the window unless a problem is caused cuz of the new lights. thats what i was told by my dealership

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have read all these articles before, :) I am looking more for peoples personal opinions.

I am still on the fence about ordering HIDs

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
warranty wont be out the window unless a problem is caused cuz of the new lights. thats what i was told by my dealership

What temp are your HIDs? What kit did you use? was it easy to install?

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
my kit is the 6000K HID kit. i really like them a lot as far as style goes and even the better vison. with that being said, i dont like the color that the 6000K emits. its kinda like a a torqoise color and really annoying. i had my buddy that works at a body shop order new bulbs and im getting the 10,000K and replacing them. he also ordered a kit for my high beams at the same kelvin. as far as intalation, the tiny mod wasnt that big of a bump in the road and it took us 45 min to instal them, with breaks to look at the other cars in the shop while the right light warmed up. the drivers side was a bit harder just because we had to take out the battery but likewise we had to take out the passenger side light as well. 4300k or 5000k is what i would do if you were wanting a "white" look and 8 or 10000K if you wanted a blue look. either way i think you;ll like it a lot

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where did you get the kit from? I am really looking at the DDM Slim Kit, has been recommended a few times...

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
i would actually go for that because its a great price and they offer a lifetime warranty on their products. i got mine from <www.tophidkits.com>. i would def get a slim kit tho cuz it was a pain to find a spot to mount the ballasts

·
Registered
708 Posts
6k shouldn't be torqoise it's crystal white.. sounds like somethings messed up with your HIDS

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
6k shouldn't be torqoise it's crystal white.. sounds like somethings messed up with your HIDS
well the pic on the box has it as a tad blue tint but it was called diamond white on the site. idk tho and its more of a tourqoise than white but nott full out torquoise

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So sounds like 5000k is the way to go for a nice white light? or 6000k? DDM says their 6000k 35 watt kits have a slight blue tint but mostly white

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
thats what im getting w my 6k kit. it just looks kinda weird... like not right. i like it tho. but ya you'll love the kit

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine's 4300K and it's a pure white colour. I think it looks great and it's the most useable light I can get. Personally, I wouldn't go over 6000K.

The more you go over 4300K, the more glare you're creating for other drivers without benefit to yourself.

Just keep in mind that you should aim your lights down a bit after installing the HIDs to compensate for the glare. All you need is a blank wall and a short phillips screwdriver.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I dont have HIDs yet on my koup but from past experiences with HIDs i also would not go over 6000K the higher the K the lower amount of light they emit. so if your driving down dark back country roads DEFF dont go over 6000K. Also those that i know that have 4300K have got stopped by cops and had other people flash their lights at them because they are soo bright. If and when i do get HIDs im going to get 6000K

·
Registered
211 Posts
What do you mean by "aim your headlights down" is there a simple way to adjust them?
There is a phillips screw on the back of the headlight assembly that you turn to aim your lights up or down.

Park your vehicle opposite a wall (or garage door). Mark your vehicle's position on the pavement (if you need to move it for your install). Turn on your stock lights and mark the top of the projected light on the wall.

After you perform your HID install, make sure your vehicle is parked in the same location and see how the light is projected. You will notice that the light is now projected higher than with the halogens. You will now need to turn the screw until the top of the light projection matches the original height.

This procedure will minimize the amount of glare that your light project into oncoming traffic, and will in turn reduce your chances of getting pulled over for having an illegal mod. This does not make the mod legal, but harder to detect.

Most importantly, you are being considerate to other drivers.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
i went and looked and i can only find the adjuster for the highbeams... is there a picture that you or some1 can post? i would really like to make sure mine arnt pointing to high. thanks

·
Registered
320 Posts
As far as I could tell there was only 1 adjuster, moving both high and low beams. I'll snap a pic later.
Same here from what I could tell. It adjusts the entire housing angle.

I have the 5000k 55w slim ballast kit from DDM and love it. I don't get flashed and it lights up the road nicely.

I have a how-to thread in the how-to section.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have read your DIY a few times Kenny! :)

Why would you go with the 55w and not the 35w Kit? Whats the difference.

Im really leaning towards the 35w 6000k slim kit.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts