Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research on how to keep my Forte from being jacked. What are your thoughts on the club? I'm probably going to get the peddle to wheel lock one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sadly if someone really wants your car, they are going to get it. Even if they don't get the car, they take something from it. But, if you live in a bad area, keep it garaged. If no garage then keep the alarm on, get lo jack, put a club for the the pedal and the steering wheel. Keep your keys hidden in your home.

It is very easy to break into a home to find some car keys and take off with a car. Could literally do it in a few minutes, maybe quicker.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
having worked for the police for 23 years-
the club prevents only the occasional joy rider type car thief.

if your car has goodies that make it attractive-
the club can be quickly be bypassed by bolt cutter/hacksaw to the steering wheel.
(the metal that makes up the steering wheels is easily cut due to the safety feature of it being easily deformed by a body in a crash)

lojack only works if you are keeping an eye on your car-
cuz its not activated till you report your car stolen and then you have to live in an area where you have good police lojack coverage for it to be tracked once its activated

if your car has goodies- there are various alarm systems out there now- that will basically GPS your car all the time- (costly - yes) they work once you activate the "alarm" - if the car is moved after that- it will call you/email you/etc- that your car is moving and where it is at. some really high tech/expensive ones- can enable the alarm co. to monitor the car after you confirm that the car is stolen- and the alarm co can listen to the inside of the car- and can remote kill the car under certain circumstances.
(thats a favorite type of alarm for "low ball" dealers to put into cars that they belive are gonna be defaulted on- why spend a lot of time chasing down a repo when you can know exactly where the car is and kill it till the repo man gets there?)

i used to live in a high crime area years ago-
not only did i have the club on the car, but a multistage alarm and a .45. :)
only time one i suffered a loss- it was the girlfriends car (83 z-28) but once they got in and saw it was a stick- they left it.
:)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
actually- from what i've read about onstar- same drawback as the lojack as far as "timeliness" - you got to go out and find the car missing- call the police- have them take a report before the 'tracking' gets initiated.

so if you are on vacation for a week- your car could have been stolen 12 hrs after you left for vacation- giving the strippers plenty of time to strip the car down- as opposed to the system(whos name escapes me at the moment) that as soon as the car is moved when system is activated starts to notify you.
i'll see if i can find the training phamplet i read at work tomorrow....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts