Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

First things first: the render above is NOT official but rather a fan mockup of Kia's upcoming (rumored) RWD Sports Car based off the Genesis Coupe platform.

The details below are from a (reputable) guy on the VWVortex forum. As you can imagine, the picture above is making the rounds:

"This is the car I mentioned ages ago, and that has been long rumored on the Kia forums.

While it is based off the next-gen Genesis Coupe platform (hence the rumored optional AWD), it's not just a reskin. It's smaller with a shortened wheelbase. It's also only going to offer a choice of four-cylinder engines, both most likely taken from the Optima. And the diesel is for the European markets, where it'll be needed to compete with cars like the Scirocco.

Both transmissions (the 8-speed automatic and the 6-speed manual) would be new. Hyundai currently sources its manuals from Aisin (Toyota), and being as that's one of the last Toyota-sourced components, I fully expect they'll drop it for a new, in-house designed model. There's also a new Hyundai Mobis 10-speed automatic in the works that will debut on the next-generation Genesis sedan.

Basically, Hyundai seems to feel that in trying to make the Genesis Coupe both a spiritual successor to cars like the 240SX and a legitimate competitor to larger coupes like the Mustang and BMW 3-series, it hasn't done either as well as it would like. So it's splitting off the lower end for this Kia coupe, which would be cheaper (priced between a Veloster and a Genesis Coupe), while the Genesis Coupe moves upscale. And yes, that means the next-generation will be likely getting a V8 (Hyundai does have a supercharged 5.5-L Tau putting down 600 hp that could use a good home).

As with every new Hyundai product, reducing weight will be important (which is cool, because the current Genesis Coupe isn't exactly very porky from a platform perspective). And, of course, handling will be once again a concern, so I'm sure Lotus will be back to help with the tuning.

Oh, and one other thing--this car will probably replace the Forte Koup in the line-up. Spy shots have already surfaced of the next-generation Cee'd/Forte, so that car is pretty close to done anyhow."

Personally, I have no doubts that Kia will get its own Gen Coupe, but to replace the Koup all together?...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rumored possible options:

Possible options:
RWD/AWD
8-speed automatic

Possible engines:
Theta II
2.4L GDI (200hp/200lb-ft)
2.0L GDI-Turbo (291hp/302lb-ft)

Type-R Diesel
2.2L TDI (210hp/320lb-ft)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Call me crazy but it looks like an R8 by that picture. Interesting find man let's see if there's legit sources to confirm this.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
now, that would be nice next to my koup on my driveway.

·
Registered
154 Posts
god i hope they make it look like that ..cause that is flat out sexy lol

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Honestly I would not mind if our current koup was phased out
Why? *do note I don't think they will phase it out just yet*
Because one day it will be one of those rare cars worth big dollars :)
and that would make my little koup even Kooler then it is allready ;)

OOh and this new koup looks and sounds like something I'd like to buy in the future...

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
DO WANT!!! That is too sexy!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Honestly I would not mind if our current koup was phased out
Why? *do note I don't think they will phase it out just yet*
Because one day it will be one of those rare cars worth big dollars :)
and that would make my little koup even Kooler then it is allready ;)

OOh and this new koup looks and sounds like something I'd like to buy in the future...
I agree, it'll feel great owning a unique and rarely seen vehicle. I just wish we can get some confirmed details on the next generation of the Koup and this new coupe concept.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've seen this floating around... I must say it does bare a stiking resemblance to the TT. But I say, an Audi TT look a like for the price of a KIA? Sure! Besides, I actually think the lower stance of the KIA rendering looks way better than the TT

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
That's a really good mock-up of a car that will never exist. I'm sure everyone would love to have it at a Kia price but alas, it's only a a pipe dream.

And BTW, the headlights look more like a Evo IMO. These headlights are slightly angled more and better looking though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That's a mock-up of a possible KIA version of the Genesis Coupe. It has nothing to do with the Forte.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts