Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the K&N drop in filter in their Forte with the 2.4L. Did you have any additional gain in MPG? Did you feel any power increase? Is it worth spending the $50 for it?:eek:

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've had them on other cars. They're good quality and last a lifetime which is the main plus. Performance-wise you may get a very slight increase in mpg or hp but don't expect anything drastic. Your biggest gains will come from a CAI.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Any gains you would feel are mostly in your head. I doubt that anyone can feel a difference of 2-4 hp. It would be mostly wishfull thinking.

Check to see if your car has the second air filter inside the lid of the air box. If you do, you might want to carefully snap that out. That's what I did. It has to breath more freely without it. I may be able to feel it at high RPMs, but then again it may just be wishfull thinking.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with the hp gain not really being noticeable. Did you observe any increase in fuel mileage? Did the throttle response change at all? I am trying to keep my car as stock as possible for now when it comes to items under the hood. I plan on doing cosmetic enhancements for now and small things like the drop in air filter.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You might notice slightly better throttle response. As far as mileage not much difference. On my last car the highway mileage went up a bit but city mileage dropped. Honestly the main reason to buy a K&N is the fact it's reuseable and it is high quality... perfomance gains are minimal.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you're asking me, I'd have to say I don't really know about mileage improving. It's that time of year when the gasoline stations switch over to their winter formulas (at least around here. Don't know about Fla.) The winter formula always delivers a little less mileage. So I can't tell yet.

Check inside the lid of your air box first of all to see if you have a filter there. Some foks don't. If you don't you could drop in a K&N, or if you do have the second filter, you could remove it and also drop in the K&N.

I have used K&N in the past. Can't say there was any problems with it, but you have to wonder. There are many who feel that any filter that flows more air is also allowing more dirt to pass through. I don't use them any more, but many do. To each, his own.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am not a fan of the oiling of a filter. I have heard as many bad results as good results. Sure the oiling problem are the user over oiling and not the fault of the filter which is the reason for the mixed opinions. One thing is with a cleanable lifetime filter is you could clean it more often than a person would replace a standard filter. It may not gain much but clean filters will get some improvement. Personally I would go this route with a dry flow cleanable filter.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I went with the OEM Dryflow option which is made by AEM.

It was basically the same price as a K&N. I got it for the following reasons:

1. Reusable
2. No oiling
3. The cleaning/drying time is measured in minutes not hours. (You should make sure your K&N is completely dry before re-oiling that can 1-2 hours)
4. No chance of oil damaging sensors (it's rare but can happen, I never had it happen).
5. No warranty issues as it's a KIA part.
6. It flows better than the regular filter and filters better than K&N (tests show this but K&N has the edge in flow)

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where can I get this filter you speak of?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
It's a Kia part. I don't know if the Koup-R kit has made it in to the US market yet. But If you ask for the high-flow filter for the Koup-R they should have it in the system.

Otherwise the part number I used was 99996 241M01

·
Registered
532 Posts
They actually did a dyno test with the drop in it gave better gains at the low end of the spectrum and the cai gave it at the high end think drop in is more suited for daily driving

·
Registered
135 Posts
I installed the k&n drop in on my 2011 koup sx 2.4L and man what a difference in thickness compared to the stock air filter. The stock air filter is like double in thickness compared to the k&n air filter. As for performance its actually slight not much. If u guys get the k&n drop in its the same part number as the hyundai elantra 2.0 I believe. But I would double check the part number engine size and year to be safe.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I am useing a k&n drop in , i removed the paper/carbon pre filter on th top of the intake box, and did the throttle mod, intake sound louder and there is more throttle response but is it the throttle mod or the air filter, i have lost mpgs , but the car seems to prefrom better and better everyday more so the colder it is out, may be colder air more dense air, more power, but for $45.95 it was worth a shot!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am useing a k&n drop in , i removed the paper/carbon pre filter on th top of the intake box, and did the throttle mod, intake sound louder and there is more throttle response but is it the throttle mod or the air filter, i have lost mpgs , but the car seems to prefrom better and better everyday more so the colder it is out, may be colder air more dense air, more power, but for $45.95 it was worth a shot!!!
Hell yeah I noticed slight better throttle response and better low end power. Top end is harder to tell but now I get 21mpg around town. I think its worth the $50 with shipping for the filter. =0)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the K&N Drop In on my 10' SX Sedar 6sp....the only time I really noticed any difference was in the summer while running the A/C...didn't seem to bog down at all. I really want to get the TK CAI...so come on Santa!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Here's my conclusion, k&n drop in gives ya around 4 extra hp and fits right in your stock airbox. Result is hp, no sucking in water or getting a very dirty air filter compared to a cold air intake where the filter of a cai is just above the splash shield. Um k&n drop in is also reuseable, the air filter is also sealed in the airbox so no hot engine bay heat would effect performance, it won't thro any mil lights.
Now for a cold air intake system, yeah you get better throttle response the intake growl lil bit hps but then again cai like to throw mil lights due to skewed afr, they tend to get dirtier cause the cone filter is located so low just above the splash shield, you could run into a higher risk of hydro locking the engine, and if the cai tubing is metal it tends to heat up under the hood.

So,
K&N drop in air filter: 4hp $50
Cold Air Intake = Risks: 6hp $250

·
Registered
522 Posts
Here's my conclusion, k&n drop in gives ya around 4 extra hp and fits right in your stock airbox. Result is hp, no sucking in water or getting a very dirty air filter compared to a cold air intake where the filter of a cai is just above the splash shield. Um k&n drop in is also reuseable, the air filter is also sealed in the airbox so no hot engine bay heat would effect performance, it won't thro any mil lights.
Now for a cold air intake system, yeah you get better throttle response the intake growl lil bit hps but then again cai like to throw mil lights due to skewed afr, they tend to get dirtier cause the cone filter is located so low just above the splash shield, you could run into a higher risk of hydro locking the engine, and if the cai tubing is metal it tends to heat up under the hood.

So,
K&N drop in air filter: 4hp $50
Cold Air Intake = Risks: 6hp $250

TOTALY AGREE, AND MINE SOUNDS LOUDER ON FULL ACCELERATION, I HAVE BEEN ASKED SEVERLY TIMES IF I HAVE A CAI SYSTEM, I LOVE TELLING THE NO

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yup. Agreed with ya. I don't mean on bashing or putting down cai systems but if you have like a cai system on your car its safest and best if the vehicle is used as a dry track car or a vehicle that's summer drive when dry. Its just risky and kinda ify to use a cai on a daily driver. I've played now for years with gm 4cyl and 6cyl highoutput engines and played with boost and nitrous experienced issues with detonation heat soak afr and all that fun shit so I know how this kinda stuff works. But its just my two cents to help peeps out with true horsepower numbers that are real numbers not just because a company claims it puts out (example) 20whp. They say that cause they are selling the product and want your $$$. But who knows :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts