Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen a few cars on this site with tinted Head lights. Anyone know the best way to go about doing this? Ive ordered a few kits on Ebay where your suppose to be able to apply tint over the light but with the "Bump" on the head light it made it hard to do... Spraying would be better im guessing? Thanks in advance...I have my Tails tinted (with tint from ebay) so I want my head lights also!!Im also considering putting a black hood on my car, Do you think I should get the carbon fiber one or go to Kia and ask them for a black hood from another forte? Any Idea on prices on a hood from kia, or the cost of painting mine?

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Before you tint your headlights make sure you're not going to get ticketed or fined for it. Some places don't allow it.

I would suggest tinting with vinyl because if you decide you don't like it or want to redo it either lighter or darker it's as simple as adding a little heat and peeling it off. Spray-on tint cannot be removed. If you decide you don't like it anymore you have to buy a whole new headlight assembly. Make that 2 of them. And they're not cheap!

Not to mention, it can be a little difficult spraying on even coats.

Also, if (by chance) you get pulled over for having tinted headlights the officer might let you off with a warning if you can remove the tint then and there.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Getting a new hood from Kia would be pointless because you're going to have to pay for it to be painted. And getting your hood painted might not be much cheaper than buying a carbon fiber hood.

I'd suggest going the CF route. But that's just me. :)

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
This is the spray on tint that I used.

Item Detail

It can be removed but it is not fun. I had to sand down one of the sections to reapply. I have heard of someone else taking it off with some sort of chemical remover. You can see it as you apply it so start with a few light coats then add to it slowly.

You could probably get your hood painted for $200-300. I think the Turbokits carbon fiber is like $600.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Your vehicle won't pass inspection in Texas with tinted headlight. Taken from the inspection criteria in Texas.

20.16 Head Lamps
6. All head lamps will be inspected for and rejected if:

J. Foreign material placed on head lamp lens, such as shields, half of lens, paint, tape, etc., that interferes with the light beam of the lamp.

N. Lens is other than clear (white).

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Your vehicle won't pass inspection in Texas with tinted headlight. Taken from the inspection criteria in Texas.

20.16 Head Lamps
6. All head lamps will be inspected for and rejected if:

J. Foreign material placed on head lamp lens, such as shields, half of lens, paint, tape, etc., that interferes with the light beam of the lamp.

S. Lens is other than clear (white).
well in that case, you could always invest in new headlights for the swap when you need your car inspected... i think theyre 250 per headlight so you'd be paying quite a bit for them :/ or go to one of those "here's 50 bucks, pass my car" kind of places lol

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well im planning on getting my inspection and then getting the Headlights tinted...itll give me a year to buy some swap out lights. As for the hood I really dont care for the fiber hood just isnt my style but do agree it looks good on some cars.Thanks for the replys.I want the same kinda tint I have on my tail lights but Its almost impossible to put it on the headlights because of the hump...to bad its not smooth like the tail light...

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
im sure you can find a company whether its a vinyl company or a tint company to put the tint on for you... and as for the hood, heralterego sent me a link of a guy she knows that does an excellent job with painting and apparently doesnt/wouldnt charge too much..
Burton's Customs
im guessing he's either in austin or in between austin and san antonio... id ask her

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
You could always wrap your hood with vinyl as an option as well.

·
Registered
973 Posts
you can get pretty much anything off with automatic transmission fluid, so you could probably remove spray on tint like that too

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have used the Nightshade on my taillights, but i would recommend making sure that you clean them really well and sand them down then lightly cover the tailights. With the nightshade it is really easy to go too dark and then you end up screwed. But if you do go with the nightshade look put a clear coat over it. It looks alot better and prevents fade.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
one other advantage of the tint over the paint route--- the tint protects the plastic lenses from all the road grit-- when the tint gets "foggy" easy to just rip it off and add a new one -in fact- they even make heavy duty tint for the headlamps just for that purpose

·
Registered
425 Posts
I say use the tint, you can easily peel it off if it gets scoffed/damaged and replace it. Also if you get pulled over and ticketed its easy to remove to clear the fine.

As far as hoods go get the Carbon fiber hood. It will lighten the front end up a little and looks better than vinyl. You can keep your hood and if something happens to the CF one then you have a spare. You just need to remember to give you CF some love so it will not yellow or get chalky.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Sorry to be the buzzkill here... but I don't want to be on the same roads as you if you're driving after dark with tinted headlights. That's just silly.

Aside from that, thanks for the plug Aidensgrand. Yes, I own a vehicle customs business and my husband performs the work. We are in Seguin, just south of San Marcos, 30 minutes from San Antonio. Visit our website or PM me. I only bite a little bit.

If you like to do the work yourself but just need some know-how, we have built a do-it-yourself body manual on our website (bottom of left navigation panel).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.