Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off I don't want to take any credit for discovering this mod as I just found it on a Hyundai forum for a Sonota and figured WTH I'll see if they did this on my car and sure enough they had. I don't know who originally found or came up with this but it wasn't me. Just thought I'd post a How-To for our vehicles and here for everyone to see.

If you're running a CAI like I am than this mod is for you. Basically KIA/Hyundai have doing this for a while now where they root some coolant around the throttle plate. This is to help prevent the butterfly valve from freezing up in the cold winter months. Unfortunately in the summer month having hot coolant run around your throttle sort of defeats the purpose having a CAI. This mod should take you no longer than 30mins. If you live in a cold state I would recommend reversing this mod during the winter months, of course I plan to do this and remove my CAI during the winter.

Tools and Materials:
-Philips head screwdriver
-8mm nut driver
-1/4" nut driver
-Pliers(not shown)
-2x 8" lengths of 5/16" rubber hose
-2x worm drive clamps

How-To:

Step 1:
Loosen the 2 screws and the 1 clamp circled in red below and remove the intake hose.

Step 2: Move the 2 clamps circled in red to the positions show.

Step 3: Move the 2 clamps circled in red to the positions shown.

Step 4: Remove the hoses starting at the end connected to the engine and starting with the upper hose. Then remove from the throttle body. A little bit of coolant will leak out so you may want to place a rag or bucket underneath. When your done you should have 2 hoses that look something like the picture below.

Step 5: Place a length of the 5/16" hose between the two ports on the engine with the clamps positioned as shown in the picture below and tighten the two clamps.

Step 6: Place the other length of 5/16" hose between the two ports on the throttle body as shown below. This just keeps any dirt out of that coolant channel.

You should now have something like this:

Step 7: Reinstall the intake hose and tighten the 3 clamps circled in red below.

Step 8: Finally start the vehicle up and let it run for a little bit make sure the hose you installed between the 2 ports on the engine isn't leaking and your coolant is still full (you will only loose a few drops but still a good precautionary measure). Of course you just reverse these steps in the winter time and your good to go. I plan to just use the 2 lengths of hose I have on there now and just grab a couple of more worm drive clamps.

Feel free to ask questions.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,906 Posts
interesting find...thanks for going through the trouble to post it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must admit that I did this mod only a day after getting the forte so I'm not really sure how much of a difference it makes. It would be great if some of you who do this mod to comment on the gains if any felt.

·
Registered
348 Posts
As stated in the original post, this is designed to warm the throttle body itself in colder months, not to heat the air. The difference it actually makes in real-world driving is nearly zilch. The volume of air moving past the plate is warmed more from compressing around the plate, than by the convection from the throttle housing. In the summer months there will be more heat soak from the engine area into the throttle than those two little lines are going to supply. Especially if you spent some money and have a big metal tube the air charge is going through.

One easier way to achieve this 'mod' is to buy a $5 pair of "locking needle-nose pliers", and clamp one of the lines. Then in the fall you can 'unclamp' and go. Or, make a couple passes down the 1/8th and try it on and off...

·
Registered
320 Posts
As stated in the original post, this is designed to warm the throttle body itself in colder months, not to heat the air. The difference it actually makes in real-world driving is nearly zilch. The volume of air moving past the plate is warmed more from compressing around the plate, than by the convection from the throttle housing. In the summer months there will be more heat soak from the engine area into the throttle than those two little lines are going to supply. Especially if you spent some money and have a big metal tube the air charge is going through.

One easier way to achieve this 'mod' is to buy a $5 pair of "locking needle-nose pliers", and clamp one of the lines. Then in the fall you can 'unclamp' and go. Or, make a couple passes down the 1/8th and try it on and off...
I agree. GM guys have been doing this for years. It makes little if any difference.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just get a turbo kit if you want hp.....:D Doin stuff like this is a waste of time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just get a turbo kit if you want hp.....:D Doin stuff like this is a waste of time.
this comming from the guy that spent over $200 on tk cai? could have made one for less than half and got the same results.if you dont wanna do the mod thats fine. if you dont think its worth your time then dont do it. simple as that.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Some people like the challenge of doing things themselves, figuring things out, and trying things.

Keep it clean guys.

·
Registered
117 Posts
wasnt that post the one that got deleted was reported. and it was because he was flaming.
I wasnt flamming you...just defending against your comment below. Didnt mean to get you all fired up. Just makin a point.

this comming from the guy that spent over $200 on tk cai? could have made one for less than half and got the same results.if you dont wanna do the mod thats fine. if you dont think its worth your time then dont do it. simple as that.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Lol well since winter is coming I'm not doing this.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.