Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adore my Koup except for one thing: lack of throttle response when coming our of a corner.

Does anyone else have this issue?

For example: I'll sprint to a right or left hand turn; "coast" a bit into the turn with foot off pedal, then try to gain speed as I come out of the turn only to find that there's a "dead" space with no throttle. There's just no juice to jet out of a quick turn (no stop).

I've got an Auto SX...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
is the A/C on? I don't have a auto but I noticed the ac drains Hp and torque alittle bit.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Is the traction control off?

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I adore my Koup except for one thing: lack of throttle response when coming our of a corner.

Does anyone else have this issue?

For example: I'll sprint to a right or left hand turn; "coast" a bit into the turn with foot off pedal, then try to gain speed as I come out of the turn only to find that there's a "dead" space with no throttle. There's just no juice to jet out of a quick turn (no stop).

I've got an Auto SX...

Thoughts?
Have you tried "The Best throttle mod ever" post listed in the DIY section? May or may not help, it would at least get rid of the dead spot and give you faster response, if your actually saying you don't have any power welllllll.... I have heard that the auto's were a bit slower on accel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you're hitting the corner hard then Stability Control will kill your pedal (the icon should appear when it activates).

The other day I powered through a tight highway on ramp and right at the end of the curve stability control kicked in and completely took the pedal away from me. It was a little disappointing b/c I had the car under control (it corrected at the very end of the turn), but reassuring to know that it's there if you need it.

Give it a try with Stability Control off... remember you have to turn it off every time you start the car. (Icon will appear to let you know it's off)

I have a Koup SX manual so I cannot comment other than saying I have no dead spot in the corners (Have done "throttle mod"), but that's apples to oranges.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I aways leave ESC off so that's not it. I'm not even entering the corners hard, but as soon as I make the turn and want to really jet off...there's no power to do so.

Hard to explain but I'll take a look at the "Best throttle mod ever" thread.

·
Registered
436 Posts
On all the cars I've owned that were equipped with DBW, I've noticed that they programmed it to minimize driveline shock. It probably offers a two-fold benefit - a smoother experience for the driver, and less warranty repair costs for the manufacturer. But I also notice it blunts throttle response, which I find undesirable.

In an empty parking lot, engage first gear and start driving, raising rpms to around 3000 and hold it. Now floor the throttle. You'll notice a definite 'tapering on' of power, instead of an instant lurch like you'd get with a non-DBW or carbureted engine. This saves the driveline from shock and smooths thing out for inexperienced drivers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The most annoying thing about my previous car (2000 Kia Sephia) was that you pushed the pedal hard and nothing happened for a good 2 seconds other than some loud noises. Eventually it would get moving alright but it took time maybe you just need to anticipate your acceleration earlier? Or go get a manual ;)

Also of note: My girlfriend has an older VW Passat, it drives like a snail unless you "activate" sport mode by pressing the pedal ALL the way down to the floor and it switches to sportier engine usage (albiet still not very good). There is literally a little *click* when you push it down far enough; check the Forte Manual to see if there's anything similar. Automatic fortes do have the "ECO" light, right? I'm guessing lack of response is just you being slave to conservative programming.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
hmmm, maybe you'll just have to get that turbo kit when it comes out ?
can't think of anything else
except maybe.. the auto tranny has some kind of slip between gears?
I think I saw something posted about certain auto transaxles needing a update
has yours been updated?

good luck on this

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
hmmm, maybe you'll just have to get that turbo kit when it comes out ?
can't think of anything else
except maybe.. the auto tranny has some kind of slip between gears?
I think I saw something posted about certain auto transaxles needing a update
has yours been updated?

good luck on this

Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Basically your trying to power through the Apex.

Are you?:

Shifting down before the turn to the lowest gear possible
holding the rpms to the highest/safest point
accelerating at the right moment with those rpms already revving?

If you don't shift down, hold the accelerator down and hit it hard through the apex while in that lower gear you won't get that "race car" torque feel when coming out of the turn. Try hitting those turns in lower gears with your Slap stick. Practice makes perfect.

1 day in my moms old 01 Accord, I drifted a U turn, it was so bad ass. lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.