Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've noticed that after driving for awhile and shuting off my car there's a ticking/popping sound coming from under my car. It drives me crazy quite frankly.
I asked the service dep't and they first said it could be the lifters. WTF? Then when I had it in for it's first service I was told it was the exhaust system cooling down. Has anyone else noticed this? :(

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Ive noticed it. Im pretty sure most cars do it. Its just all the metal parts cooling down and condensing.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I've noticed that after driving for awhile and shuting off my car there's a ticking/popping sound coming from under my car. It drives me crazy quite frankly.
I asked the service dep't and they first said it could be the lifters. WTF? Then when I had it in for it's first service I was told it was the exhaust system cooling down. Has anyone else noticed this? :(
I did not heard YOUR ticking but mine do some noise while cooling down!!
Guru can correct me if I'm wrong but I think that it's mainly due to the fact that the block and the exhaust are not made from the same material (aluminum for the block and what ever steel for the exhaust)

·
Registered
644 Posts
I wondered about this too, I'm glad I'm not the only one that hears it. The first few times I thought I was just hearing things haha

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Calm down guys...... you have a 5 years bumper to bumper waranty!!! Didn't you??;)

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
my spectra that i had before did it, mind you it was only after i drove it really hard. My car before did it a few times too. I think its normal

·
Registered
973 Posts
my buick always did this too, just cooling down, metal expands with heat, its settling back down would be my guess

·
Registered
78 Posts
A lot of cars do this. Drive down the highway at 80-90mph for 10-15min get off an exit park somewhere and get out and listen I bet it will tick like a mother. 4bangers do this the most when driven a little hard. If you dont want to go that fast in your baby, test drive at a dealership and get out and listen. Don't show up in your Forte drive with a friend or family member to do the test drive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LoL every car, truck and bike i have owned makes exhaust cooling noises in the heat of the summer especially...
Like I said, I've had a few cars (my last a MX3 Precidia) and never had any car do this. I got my car Dec 20/09 and it's done this from day one.
My friend has a newer Civic and hers never did this, my other friend a Cougar (bought new in 2000), never done it....another an 2009 Acura...doesn't do it either. I could go on and on about friends cars that don't do this (I did ask)....so I guess I was wondering if it was a "Kia" thing since everyone I've asked never had this happen....:confused:

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I had a 2007 dodge Caliber R/T that made the same ticking sound. It was coming from the junction where the resonator was located. It finally stopped after I had over 70k miles on it the car.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Every car I've aver driven did this. Yesterday, a brand new Passat CC pulled up next to me and did the same thing after the driver shut it off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.