Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've done a little bit of digging into my problem, but the videos I see online aren't quite the sound I hear from my engine.
This Forte is brand new, 800km so far. Here's what it sounds like on a cold start:

And here's what it sounds like when the engine is warmed up:

The ticking noise is kind of hard to hear in the first link due to how loud the engine is, but when I press the gas for the first 5-10 minutes of the drive, the ticking noise is very audible in the car as well. When I first got the car, I didn't experience any noise like this - the only thing I've done since I've gotten the car is refueled once, and gotten rust proofing done. Could the rust proofing have something to do with this, or is this noise normal?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,852 Posts
I think you are hearing your Purge control solenoid valve (PCSV). Next time you hear it put your finger on it - if you feel it vibrating it's working...Noisy bugger!

It only runs for a short time to purge the emissions canister. Make sure you do NOT overfill your fuel tank - I think it is loudest when the gas fumes are strong (possibly liquid?) from the canister.

You can just see the PCSV under the right (driver) side of the engine cover (passenger side for those who drive on the wrong side of the road...:devilish:)

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Tread

Automotive tire Vehicle Font Automotive design Bumper

How it looks standing in front of the car...:)

Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Bumper

Reactions: Arith

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you are hearing your Purge control solenoid valve (PCSV). Next time you hear it put your finger on it - if you feel it vibrating it's working...Noisy bugger!

It only runs for a short time to purge the emissions canister. Make sure you do NOT overfill your fuel tank - I think it is loudest when the gas fumes are strong (possibly liquid?) from the canister.

You can just see the PCSV under the right (driver) side of the engine cover.

View attachment 84418

View attachment 84420
Thanks a bunch for the info! I'll check it out after work tomorrow - right now though, i'm at about a quarter of a tank. Is there a chance the rust-proofing I did (Krown) could have caused issues with this valve?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,852 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the info! I'll check it out after work tomorrow - right now though, i'm at about a quarter of a tank. Is there a chance the rust-proofing I did (Krown) could have caused issues with this valve?
No, I don't think so. I have only heard my PCSV valve ONCE in 11 months! Like you I thought there was something wrong - and I get anal when I hear something I never heard before - but it turned out to be this valve.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I don't think so. I have only heard my PCSV valve ONCE in 11 months! Like you I thought there was something wrong - and I get anal when I hear something I never heard before - but it turned out to be this valve.
Definitely not ideal especially since I took delivery of this car about two weeks ago... guess I'll have to schedule an appointment if the noise consistently stays during cold starts.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
378 Posts
You said you refueled once. Did you hear that noise before refueling? Like ForteGT2 said, NEVER over fill the tank. When the nozzle stops, don't force anymore into the tank. Are you sure you didn't do that? Like he said, you can contaminate the charcoal cannister by constantly doing that and have issues. I realize your car is brand new, so if you did it once, no big deal. Just get in the habit of stopping the fill up when the nozzle click stops on you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You said you refueled once. Did you hear that noise before refueling? Like ForteGT2 said, NEVER over fill the tank. When the nozzle stops, don't force anymore into the tank. Are you sure you didn't do that? Like he said, you can contaminate the charcoal cannister by constantly doing that and have issues. I realize your car is brand new, so if you did it once, no big deal. Just get in the habit of stopping the fill up when the nozzle click stops on you.
Thanks for the tip. When I say I refueled though, I only refueled to about 3/4 full on the tank so I think I can rule that issue out. I really am leaning towards it being a valve issue or something caused by rustproofing... Brakes took a while before they felt normal again too.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Thanks for the tip. When I say I refueled though, I only refueled to about 3/4 full on the tank so I think I can rule that issue out. I really am leaning towards it being a valve issue or something caused by rustproofing... Brakes took a while before they felt normal again too.
Are you hearing the noise every time you start the car?

The only way I could see it being due to the rustproofing would be if they sprayed over the filter inlet of the emissions canister.

Font Auto part Automotive exterior Cable Event

Reactions: Chuzz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you hearing the noise every time you start the car?

The only way I could see it being due to the rustproofing would be if they sprayed over the filter inlet of the emissions canister.

View attachment 84425
Yes, it's been every time that I start the car starting the day after I got the rust proofing done. Whenever I pop the hood, I still see oil residue and smell it.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Can you confirm the PCSV is making the noise? It vibrates while it is cycling.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
If it isn't the PCSV and you still have the noise then take it to your dealer to find out what it could be.

Reactions: Chuzz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it isn't the PCSV and you still have the noise then take it to your dealer to find out what it could be.
Yup. I have an appointment with my dealership tomorrow first thing in the morning. I'll update on what it is. Odds are, "perfectly normal"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also I figured I'd update, the ticking noise that I hear outside? The same noise is inside the cabin, but it's more of a "playing card in fan" kind of noise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You sure you don't have a leaf stuck in the blower fan? It IS autumn... Is the ticking noise there with the fan turned off? Long shot, but why not rule it out.
It quiets down once the engine warms up...could that still be the cause?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update: Dealership says that the noises are normal. I'm going to continue monitoring, but as of right now, that's where we stand.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
378 Posts
At least you now have documentation in case it gets worse. Keep track of all of your invoices and paperwork.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts