Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I got a silver Koup EX and wanted to tint my windows preferably to protect my car's interior since I got the leather. I wanted to do either 35% or 38% but I am not sure which I should get, I want to be legal so those are my only 2 options. I have the black interior as well so I know that whatever tint I get the interior is going to make it darker anyways.

What do you guys think?

35% front....(20% back = not an option)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/Ryude/IMG_0011.jpg

38% all around

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r52/jasonjb/IMG_0593.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a Black Koup SX with leather interior and I got 35% in the front two and went 5% in the back. No matter when or where I am I always put the windshield shade and it is still really hot! I would go as dark as you can to help as much as you can. If I didn't have it so dark it would be waaaaaaay worse.
Check out my pics if ya want to see how the dark tint looks. Sorry for the lame quality, I used a cell phone.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
I went with 35% all around and love it.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I've got 20% all around. Pics in my gallery.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Just to confuse you with information. :)

The numbers that you see refered to such as 35% or 20% or whatever are indicators of the percentage of 'visible light transmission'. ie: how much VISIBLE light gets through the film.

If your primary concern is heat rejection you need to find out the numbers for your chosen film for 'solar energy rejection'. These numbers are NOT the same for different brands or qualities of film even with the same visible light transmission numbers.

Just as an example, refer to the link below to the Formula One web site table:

http://www.formulaone.com/pdf/FormulaOneSpecSheet.pdf

Note that the 'solar energy rejection' for their Classic 35% film is 35%, while the number for their Pinnacle 35% film is 54%. Note also that the 'solar energy rejection' numbers don't increase as rapidly as you might expect with the darker tints.

As for the 35% vs 38% - the visible light transmission is probably indistinguishable between the two, and may be identical. Once again using the Formula One specs for an example, the actual light transmission number for their Comfort 38% is 38%, and for their Pinnacle 35% is also actually 38%.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
I've got 35% on the front and 20% on the back in a state where you can't have any front tint. I live in a city where the cops look for any excuse to pull you over. I have been left alone so far.

A cop once told me that the reason for the no front tint law is so that a cop can see you as they approach your car if they pull you over and they know you aren't holding a weapon. So I usually go darker than legal and if I get pulled over I immediately put the windows down and put my hands on the steering wheel.

I am very sensitive to light and wish I could do 20% on the front but I got a ticket for that on my last car so I went lighter this time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got 15% on the back and back sides with 5% over that, and on the roll-ups its 15% and on the front window strip 15% cops don't bother me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
just put 20% all the way around this weekend. thats the same as what i used on my last car and never got bothered with it until i got pulled over for headlight tint as well. then the fuzz busted me for my windows since he was there already. but havent been bothered since the headlight tint came off!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I just got 20% all around and its not nearly as dark as I thought it would be. I say go 35% the 3% won't make much of a difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.